01-27-2016, 09:07 AM
User Info
I'm looking at acquiring one of these fine iconic brushes. I have found my preference in brush feel runs to larger knots with soft tips and medium backbone. My gold standard in this regard is a 28mm Thater 3 Band bulb. 

My questions for the experts;

1) Aside from larger knot is there a difference in density between the Chubby 2 and 3 Super?
2) Are the tips of the Chubby 2/3 Super as soft as a Thater/shavemac 3 Band?
3) Is there a large difference in softness of the tips between a Chubby 2/3 Best & Super? The price jump is substantial and I've read differing opinions.
4) Which of the Chubby 2 or 3 in Best or Super will get me the closest to Thater 3 Band softness.

I have found what are described as Somerset Chubby 3's in Best on a website where you can pick out an individual brush from photos. It's my understanding and please correct me if I'm wrong but these are newer stock made soon after the Vulfix takeover. Are these what are considered the problematic batch? Are these Somerset Chubby 3's in Best a higher grade of hair and if so can anyone explain their characteristics? Are these handles aside from their rose coloring any less stout than modern Simpsons?

I've done my research as best I can and these are still the questions I have not had answered to my satisfaction.

0 48
 01-27-2016, 09:35 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
If you are looking at the brushes on the superior shave website, it is only the handles that are claimed to be Somerset era and NOT the knots. The rod stock is old and hence turned rose or yellow coloured. IMO the handles are likely Carter era...

Simpson history:
1919 to 1941 London (decal "Made in London")
1941 to 1990 Sommerset (decal "Made in England")
1990 to 2008 Carter
2008 to current Vulfix

1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes.
4. Super

99 18,011
 01-27-2016, 09:42 AM
User Info
Ben said it. Best is a nice knot but a super sounds more like what you need

2 359
 01-27-2016, 11:38 AM
User Info
Thanks for the confirmation and the answers to my questions. I placed an order for a Chubby 2 in Super a few moments ago. I'm looking forward to some face time behind this brush!

0 48
 01-27-2016, 11:42 AM
User Info
Nice choice. Thumbup

16 1,890
 01-27-2016, 12:54 PM
User Info
(01-27-2016, 11:38 AM)twister Wrote: Thanks for the confirmation and the answers to my questions. I placed an order for a Chubby 2 in Super a few moments ago. I'm looking forward to some face time behind this brush!

Great choice and get ready for an extremely dense and luxurious feel!  Thumbup

82 21,056
 01-27-2016, 08:35 PM
User Info
I had a  3 band Thater 28mm knot, and thought it had little backbone. The Chubby 2 Super might have the strongest backbone of any 3 band Silvertip in that size knot out there. That is due to the density of the knot and the loft.  I find that knot excellent. I have not tried  Chubby in best, but when I got my CH2  I decided that it is not worth going for the Best badger and not liking it and then go for the  Super Badger. I went straight for the top choice and I am glad I did. One thing to consider is handle size, CH2 might feel somewhat small depending on your preference for handle size.

11 435
 01-28-2016, 02:22 AM
User Info
You made a good choice. You'll see that the Simpson super I find is very soft with great backbone, they're both wonderful brushes

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

19 571
 01-28-2016, 04:37 AM
User Info
(01-27-2016, 08:35 PM)mainaman Wrote: I had a  3 band Thater 28mm knot, and thought it had little backbone. The Chubby 2 Super might have the strongest backbone of any 3 band Silvertip in that size knot out there. That is due to the density of the knot and the loft.  I find that knot excellent. I have not tried  Chubby in best, but when I got my CH2  I decided that it is not worth going for the Best badger and not liking it and then go for the  Super Badger. I went straight for the top choice and I am glad I did. One thing to consider is handle size, CH2 might feel somewhat small depending on your preference for handle size.

I own both the Chubby 2 in Super and Best (and in 2-band Silvertip and Manchurian as well), and the limited edition Best Mark shipped me back in 2013 actually is a step above my Super, both regarding face feel, softness of tips and overall performance.
So you never know........

24 5,839
 01-28-2016, 04:59 AM
User Info
(01-28-2016, 04:37 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-27-2016, 08:35 PM)mainaman Wrote: I had a  3 band Thater 28mm knot, and thought it had little backbone. The Chubby 2 Super might have the strongest backbone of any 3 band Silvertip in that size knot out there. That is due to the density of the knot and the loft.  I find that knot excellent. I have not tried  Chubby in best, but when I got my CH2  I decided that it is not worth going for the Best badger and not liking it and then go for the  Super Badger. I went straight for the top choice and I am glad I did. One thing to consider is handle size, CH2 might feel somewhat small depending on your preference for handle size.

I own both the Chubby 2 in Super and Best (and in 2-band Silvertip and Manchurian as well), and the limited edition Best Mark shipped me back in 2013 actually is a step above my Super, both regarding face feel, softness of tips and overall performance.

That is great but those brushes are not readily available are they? In my opinion, when buying a $200+ brush one should go with the sure thing that is know to work great.

11 435
 01-28-2016, 06:31 AM
User Info
(01-28-2016, 04:59 AM)mainaman Wrote:
(01-28-2016, 04:37 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:

That is great but those brushes are not readily available are they? In my opinion, when buying a $200+ brush one should go with the sure thing that is know to work great.

They are readily available on the Simpson website, you just have to look in the limited section shop, and be lucky or contact Mark Watterson directly (so for me they are pretty much readily available, but not for a regular customer of course)

If you buy a badger brush, you can never go for the sure thing in my opinion. Not with any brand, not even the Simpson badgers, which are all high TOP quality brushes.

It's natural hair and badger hair batches will vary from year to year, you can never expect to get the same quality Best, manchurian or Super hair - you can expect a minimum regarding quality, but you can't expect them all to be of same quality level.

Some Supers will have a tendency to be lather hogs more than other badger Super 3-band batches will. Most will feel very soft on your face, mine does. But they are so densely packe,d that they for some are lather hogs. This is both a good and bad thing. Bad thing for people who don't know the basic trick to overcome a lather hog brush, and bad for people, who want to use as little soaps as possible. Good for people who know the trick to tame a lather hog and for people who like to use a LOT of soap.

If I ever get a lather hog, and my Chubby 2 3-band Super is indeed one, I just do what I usually do - load the living Christ out of the brush, so soap is in the upper 50% of the brush hairs, totally soaked and covered in soap. Load the brush like this, and it doen't matter if it's a lather hog, once you have filled it up with so much soaps, it will release it NO MATTER WHAT density the brush has  Biggrin

Running out of soap for 2.nd or 3.rd pass - no problem, load the living Christ out of the brush once again. problem solved.

I still by far prefer my Best Chubby 2 over my Super Chubby 2. But my two favoruite Chubby 2's are still by a lsight margin over the best, my manchurian Black and my jade 2-band Silvertip

24 5,839
 01-28-2016, 06:39 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
It's been my experience that the consistency of Simpson hair grades is much improved post Vulfix acquisition as opposed to pre. Previous to the Watterson family taking over, hair grade characteristics were regularly inconsistent and knot specifications varied widely. It was a crapshoot buying online and your best bet was to handle the brush first (something that many of us were unable to do).

99 18,011
 01-28-2016, 08:50 AM
User Info
I recently purchased a Chubby 2 in super.  Great brush - very soft on the face yet tons of backbone. The hype is justified. You will love it.  Just be prepared to use a lot of lather fuel to realize the benefits of the Chubby 2.

5 81
 01-28-2016, 09:02 AM
User Info
You made an excellent choice with the Chubby 2 in Super.

I'm not prepared to concede that Thater 3-band is actually softer than the Chubby 2 in Super.  The Chubby 2 is far denser than the Thater 3-band.  Moreover, the Chubby 2 is set at a low loft and Thaters are set at a higher loft.  The result is that the Chubby 2 has far greater backbone.  That backbone may give the impression that the Super Chubby 2 is not as soft as the Thater.  However, if you took Simpson Super hair and constructed a knot with the density and loft of a Thater, you may feel the Simpson Super was just as soft as the Thater.

48 5,702
 01-29-2016, 01:22 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I recently acquired a Chubby 2 in Silvertip 2-band and absolutely love it! But the super 2-band i had before was just meh.

Now I need a CH2 in Manchurian and all will be right in the world!

Mark is a pleasure to deal with, BTW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

71 1,468
 01-29-2016, 12:34 PM
User Info
(01-28-2016, 06:39 AM)ben74 Wrote: It's been my experience that the consistency of Simpson hair grades is much improved post Vulfix acquisition as opposed to pre. Previous to the Watterson family taking over, hair grade characteristics were regularly inconsistent and knot specifications varied widely. It was a crapshoot buying online and your best bet was to handle the brush first (something that many of us were unable to do).

Ben is correct, most of us bought the models we liked in the hair grade we were looking for in batches...hoping to land a few specimens that were satisfactory. There was tremendous variation in hair characteristics and even quality control issues (shedding etc.) between batches. Some of the 2-bands were fantastic brushes and I truly regret letting them go...but then there were batches of 2-bands that have faded in memory and left absolutely no impression on me. I'm really finding the new manchurian grades to be very consistent in quality and have not seen a shedder yet.

0 650
 01-29-2016, 06:39 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
(01-29-2016, 01:22 AM)Crag Wrote: I recently acquired a Chubby 2 in Silvertip 2-band and absolutely love it! But the super 2-band i had before was just meh.  

Really?  What was meh with it?

10 753
 01-29-2016, 06:48 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(01-29-2016, 06:39 PM)grantmm Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 01:22 AM)Crag Wrote: I recently acquired a Chubby 2 in Silvertip 2-band and absolutely love it! But the super 2-band i had before was just meh.  

Really?  What was meh with it?
The bristles felt as if they were all trimmed as it was prickly as heck, and the center was hollowing, plus it shed 2 hairs every shave. It was beautiful to look at, almost a perfect bulb knot with creamy tips, but not a great performer at all. This was a pre-vulfix brush for full disclosure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

71 1,468