01-27-2016, 10:33 AM
User Info
Has anyone heard about this slant? In an email they sent out they are calling it the Holy Blackbird. I was surprised to see the email because I haven't heard about it being released. It looks like a very mild slant. They also offer it in a closed comb. 

http://theholyblack.com/collections/cata...newsletter

37 146
 01-27-2016, 11:12 AM
User Info
Thanks, I did not know that razor.

3 105
 01-27-2016, 11:19 AM
User Info
Never seen it before, but the head geometry looks an awful lot like a 37c/39c.  There's a lot of missing information there.  
  • Is it 2 or 3 piece?  
  • Is the head Zamak or something else?  
  • What's the handle length?  
  • What's the overall razor weight?  
  • Is it just a 37c painted black?  
You know, they typical questions you would ask about a new razor.

1 297
 01-27-2016, 11:33 AM
User Info
I can't help but wonder if they are trying to capitalize on the popularity of the Backland Blackbird.

0 25
 01-27-2016, 12:16 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Interesting that their blog begins "5 SECRETS TO GROW A REALLY SEXY BEARD" and they sell safety razors.  
Many of the pictures on the website have "men in beards".

Howie

4 392
 01-27-2016, 12:58 PM
User Info
Not my style. 

Not enough information either like gwsmallwood said. 

Plus I had a heck of a time with the black Weber head I had keeping soap scum off of it. Drove me OCD trying to keep it clean. Will never own another all black razor again.

9 1,412
 01-27-2016, 01:37 PM
User Info
Looks like the safety bar is a muhle de89 head . Slant appears to be a 37/39c head. Description does say a Brass handle . If its a 3 piece I may try it . The coating doesn't look too smooth though . Hopefully we can find out what these heads are made of IF they are a 3 piece.

Not a fan of the name . Too close to the blackbird razors

0 127
 01-27-2016, 01:51 PM
User Info
The slant is sold out. The handle length looks short but hard to tell for sure.

121 13,124
 01-27-2016, 02:08 PM
User Info
(01-27-2016, 12:58 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Not my style. 

Not enough information either like gwsmallwood said. 

Plus I had a heck of a time with the black Weber head I had keeping soap scum off of it. Drove me OCD trying to keep it clean. Will never own another all black razor again.

I would have gladly taken that lovely razor from you if I had known. Shy

83 21,077
 01-27-2016, 03:06 PM
User Info
Seems like a pretty obvious rip off of the Blackbird name. If it is a coincidence I'll eat my hat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 403
 01-27-2016, 04:38 PM
User Info
Most modern razors are copies of old razors so not likeing it based on that is silly. Also as far as the name goes its called sr71 not blackbird. Yes the sr71 is the blackbird but you do not know how long he had these in development so could be coincidence. As far as who makes it. Looks like the same company that makes maggards razor to me especially since its 30 bucks

2 359
 01-27-2016, 05:10 PM
User Info
(01-27-2016, 04:38 PM)SimpsonLover Wrote: Most modern razors are copies of old razors so not likeing it based on that is silly. Also as far as the name goes its called sr71 not blackbird. Yes the sr71 is the blackbird but you do not know how long he had these in development so could be coincidence. As far as who makes it. Looks like the same company that makes maggards razor to me especially since its 30 bucks

Actually he is also calling it the Holy Blackbird. And the razor has no similarity other than being black, he is just using the same name. And since it is just an Indian made EJ knock off, development time was probably about as long as it took to make a phone call and order up however many of them he could afford to stock.

Even giving him the benefit of the doubt, and saying it is coincidence, the right thing to do is just change the model number on your website. How do you just name your product the same thing as someone else's already on the market product? I am marketing a new line of shaving brushes, and I think I'll just call them White Wolf Whiskers and it's okay, because they are going to be cheaper than the actual Wolf Whiskers.

15 403
 01-27-2016, 05:23 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(01-27-2016, 04:38 PM)SimpsonLover Wrote: Most modern razors are copies of old razors so not likeing it based on that is silly. Also as far as the name goes its called sr71 not blackbird. Yes the sr71 is the blackbird but you do not know how long he had these in development so could be coincidence. As far as who makes it. Looks like the same company that makes maggards razor to me especially since its 30 bucks

Three years is my understanding. And to your point, seems like many if not most are completely unaware that unless someone has a manufacturing line, they are outsourcing. Surprise! Being the case, often the only difference will be finish, packaging, etc. but everybody cries foul.

As to the name- I think Shane has done a great job of producing a solid SS razor but I would let he and Stefan figure out if there was any infringement prior to lighting the torches and pulling out the pitchforks. As a wet shaver I appreciate all the additions to the marketplace-whether I buy or not is a different question. I do own a Blackbird but don't an SR71 nor do I know if I will, still nice to have another hat in the ring.

2 1,180
 01-27-2016, 05:24 PM
User Info
(01-27-2016, 05:10 PM)PickledNorthern Wrote:

Actually he is also calling it the Holy Blackbird. And the razor has no similarity other than being black, he is just using the same name.  And since it is just an Indian made EJ knock off, development time was probably about as long as it took to make a phone call and order up however many of them he could afford to stock.

Even giving him the benefit of the doubt, and saying it is coincidence, the right thing to do is just change the model number on your website. How do you just name your product the same thing as someone else's already on the market product?  I am marketing a new line of shaving brushes, and I think I'll just call them White Wolf Whiskers and it's okay, because they are going to be cheaper than the actual Wolf Whiskers.

The holy blackbird so he added bird but still has it named sr71. So one company can take a name from something and no one else can? Again just silly. The man seems to be bringing whats in demand right now black razors. Im just saying its a razor and people get up in arms over such things

2 359
 01-27-2016, 05:33 PM
User Info
I just think its a cheap move, that's all. I never said it was wrong, just not a lot of class.

15 403
 01-27-2016, 05:34 PM
User Info
I think we should all just hug it out and go shave.

147 3,539
 01-27-2016, 06:30 PM
User Info
Never heard of this till today. Looks interesting, but it's sold out already.

Anyway my main target right now is the iKon 102 and the upcoming Fine slant.

11 1,169
 01-27-2016, 06:33 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I have this new razor I'm working on, too. I think I'm going to call it the "Holy Fat Boy." Or maybe the "Holy Above the Tie." What do you guys think?

22 828
 01-27-2016, 06:35 PM
User Info
(01-27-2016, 06:33 PM)chamm Wrote: I have this new razor I'm working on, too. I think I'm going to call it the "Holy Fat Boy." Or maybe the "Holy Above the Tie." What do you guys think?

Pair it with Razorock's Holy Cannoli and we got a deal.

11 1,169
 01-28-2016, 08:40 AM
User Info
(01-27-2016, 06:33 PM)chamm Wrote: I have this new razor I'm working on, too. I think I'm going to call it the "Holy Fat Boy." Or maybe the "Holy Above the Tie." What do you guys think?

Could you make it a Holy Wolfman, please?  With the same quality?  And then sell it to me for, like, 30 bucks or something?   

["Office Space" boss voice] Mm'kay? That'd be terrific. [/"Office Space" boss voice]

2 1,461