07-14-2012, 11:52 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
Today I needed a quick shave before going out. I went back to the method I used 40 years ago so I could get it done quickly. I lathered with an Arko shave stick after minimal prep. I did 2 passes: One down followed by relathering and then another pass up. The results looked clean and as long as I didn't rub against the grain it felt pretty good. Rubbing against the grain was like rubbing sandpaper. There is nothing that will give you a better shave than a thorough face prep followed with a good lather and then 3 passes plus touch-up. When you don't have time to give yourself the works you can use a quick method and it will be passable but when you can take the time and pamper yourself by all means do so!

0 396
 07-15-2012, 03:53 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Uncle Dave, my friend, well said.

132 2,614
 07-15-2012, 05:09 AM
  • Craig
  • Not a ragin Cajun; a mild mannered one
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
That's actually my normal shave! With a nice aggressive razor (Cobra Classic, OCMM, 1912 Minuteman) it produces a BBS/DFS quickly. With a more mild 1912 or Arisotcrat, it gives me a CCS or DFS if I'm careful. My skin appreciates not going for the third pass.

6 119
 07-15-2012, 05:21 AM
User Info
The hardships that we must endure at times; a quick shave.

75 20,883
 07-15-2012, 06:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(07-15-2012, 05:21 AM)celestino Wrote: The hardships that we must endure at times; a quick shave.

Wouldn't it be nice if that was the hardest thing we had to go through in life.

By the way Dave, I do a DFS/almost BBS two pass shave everyday with my old Schick Injectors. But I do prep myself before lathering.

173 23,546
 07-15-2012, 07:27 AM
User Info
Biggrin

Lots of sympathy being expressed!

The 2 pass shave brings back memories... not good ones. From my cart' days when I didn't know better. Memories of ingrowns. For the 40 years previous to my blade shaving it was one WTG pass only and I got the shave that I got.

Today if I don't have time for my morning shave I'll shave at night. That happens very rarely. If I don't have time for my morning shave it pretty much means I don't have time to do what it was that was making me hurry in the first place.

32 6,309
 07-15-2012, 08:32 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Uncle Dave, that is definitely something I can relate to when time is short.

Really though, I can just grab my Mach3, if it is absolutely a time thing. 1-pass with it will be plenty to get me through the event. I can always shave again in the evening, for pleasure sake Biggrin

But, if I want a *quick* shave that I will enjoy- I reach for the GEM SE black-handle push-button (with a newer blade in it, less than 4 shaves). 3-pass, no nicks, no weepers, and a a good slick-lather soap/cream. This particular SE razor is great for speed w/o worrying about tearing up one's face Tongue

9 1,684
 07-15-2012, 10:52 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
uncledave,

I'll bet that what you are getting with this 2 pass shave is way better than what I got with the 15 minutes a day that I spent with one or another electric razor for almost 34 years before finding wetshaving!!! Biggrin
I had 5'oclock shadow by 10am!

6 905
 07-15-2012, 11:44 AM
User Info
My standard daily shave consists of two passes and touch-up, using the Schick E2 Injector razor, Semogue boar bristle brush with a tallow-based shaving soap, for a consistent DFS! Smile

0 1,377
 07-15-2012, 02:11 PM
User Info
Usually my face passes are two in the South to North pattern. Every now and then three passes if the blade is beginning to dull. That is followed by a head shave, which takes as much time.

1 2,827
 07-15-2012, 04:33 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I have no idea how you face AND head shavers get out the door.....
It takes me almost a half hour to do a proper 3 pass with touch up on just my face and this is after almost 11 months of wetshaving. I guess I'm the turtle shaver......or Mr. OCD. Smile

(07-15-2012, 02:11 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Usually my face passes are two in the South to North pattern. Every now and then three passes if the blade is beginning to dull. That is followed by a head shave, which takes as much time.

6 905
 07-15-2012, 06:21 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(07-15-2012, 06:57 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(07-15-2012, 05:21 AM)celestino Wrote: The hardships that we must endure at times; a quick shave.

Wouldn't it be nice if that was the hardest thing we had to go through in life.

By the way Dave, I do a DFS/almost BBS two pass shave everyday with my old Schick Injectors. But I do prep myself before lathering.

I think the lack of prep was the biggest factor making the shave "acceptable" but not good. I just washed my face and went at it. It's no wonder I never got a good shave 40 years ago.

(07-15-2012, 07:27 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Biggrin

Lots of sympathy being expressed!

The 2 pass shave brings back memories... not good ones. From my cart' days when I didn't know better. Memories of ingrowns. For the 40 years previous to my blade shaving it was one WTG pass only and I got the shave that I got.

Today if I don't have time for my morning shave I'll shave at night. That happens very rarely. If I don't have time for my morning shave it pretty much means I don't have time to do what it was that was making me hurry in the first place.

Yeah, and the two pass was "up" and then "down" no matter how your beard grew. That is another problem with this method.

(07-15-2012, 08:32 AM)gijames Wrote: Uncle Dave, that is definitely something I can relate to when time is short.

Really though, I can just grab my Mach3, if it is absolutely a time thing. 1-pass with it will be plenty to get me through the event. I can always shave again in the evening, for pleasure sake Biggrin

But, if I want a *quick* shave that I will enjoy- I reach for the GEM SE black-handle push-button (with a newer blade in it, less than 4 shaves). 3-pass, no nicks, no weepers, and a a good slick-lather soap/cream. This particular SE razor is great for speed w/o worrying about tearing up one's face Tongue

The next time I have to do this I'm going to try the nice Schick SE that I got from lindyhop66. I should have done that this time.

(07-15-2012, 10:52 AM)EHV Wrote: uncledave,

I'll bet that what you are getting with this 2 pass shave is way better than what I got with the 15 minutes a day that I spent with one or another electric razor for almost 34 years before finding wetshaving!!! Biggrin
I had 5'oclock shadow by 10am!

I used electrics for several years. Here's something I never understood about them. Maybe someone here can explain it. I ALWAYS got razor burn from electrics despite the fact that I never got a decent shave from one. How can this be? How can a razor not cut your beard very well but burn the skin underneath it?

I'm so glad I don't use electrics anymore. Biggrin

(07-15-2012, 04:33 PM)EHV Wrote: I have no idea how you face AND head shavers get out the door.....
It takes me almost a half hour to do a proper 3 pass with touch up on just my face and this is after almost 11 months of wetshaving. I guess I'm the turtle shaver......or Mr. OCD. Smile

(07-15-2012, 02:11 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Usually my face passes are two in the South to North pattern. Every now and then three passes if the blade is beginning to dull. That is followed by a head shave, which takes as much time.

It takes me half an hour, sometimes more, depending on how many hot towels I want to use. Today I used one before each pass, including the touch up pass on my neck. My neck feels like there has never been a hair near it right now. That's the feel I shoot for. It sure takes time to get it though. Biggrin

0 396
 07-15-2012, 06:30 PM
User Info
With a slant razor 2 passes and a little touch up is all you need--all I need anyway.
98% of my shaves are 'rushed', simply because I want it to be done. I would say that the majority of the time I don't use a brush either. A benefit from having a goatee is that it works like a brush and I can rub up a great lather very fast. It also holds lather really well and is close at hand during my shave. I'm always looking for shortcuts. Biggrin

9 451
 07-15-2012, 06:32 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(07-15-2012, 06:30 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: With a slant razor 2 passes and a little touch up is all you need--all I need anyway.
98% of my shaves are 'rushed', simply because I want it to be done. I would say that the majority of the time I don't use a brush either. A benefit from having a goatee is that it works like a brush and I can rub up a great lather very fast. It also holds lather really well and is close at hand during my shave. I'm always looking for shortcuts. Biggrin

One of these days when I'm braver I'm going to try a slant.

I would NEVER have thought of using my chin whiskers as a lather reservoir. I believe I'm going to try that!

0 396
 07-15-2012, 08:13 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(07-15-2012, 06:32 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(07-15-2012, 06:30 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: With a slant razor 2 passes and a little touch up is all you need--all I need anyway.

I would NEVER have thought of using my chin whiskers as a lather reservoir. I believe I'm going to try that!

Slants are very nice and not as hard as you think.

100 12,445
 07-15-2012, 09:14 PM
User Info
It's too bad slants get a bad rep. They're excellent shavers.

9 1,199
 07-15-2012, 09:17 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(07-15-2012, 08:13 PM)slantman Wrote:
(07-15-2012, 06:32 PM)uncledave Wrote:

Slants are very nice and not as hard as you think.

I think it's psychological with me. My hands are not as steady as they once were and I'm afraid of cutting my face up. However, I felt that way about SE too until lindyhop66 sent me a Schick injector. Not only did I not cut my face up I got a very nice BBS shave to boot. I assume from your post that I could expect the same from a slant.

(07-15-2012, 09:14 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: It's too bad slants get a bad rep. They're excellent shavers.

I'm going to keep a lookout for a good deal and get me one just to try it out. I'd want one that is more aggressive than a Slim set on 9. Any recommendations?

0 396
 07-16-2012, 04:07 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
uncledave,
it's surely a YMMV thing but I don't find my 39C Sledgehammer Slant to be overly aggressive or more so than my Slim set on 9. I could be in the minority here on that one.

I find the Slant to be incredibly efficient with no need for further aggression. It just slices away efficiently without any fuss and with less noise, especially on the initial pass than my other DE's. It goes about it's business without any drama and without any special vigilance on my part and gets the job done spectacularly without the need for a bigger blade gap.

I think that if you like a Slim set on 9 and/or an Injector, a Slant might just be the in between that hits the spot and perhaps will get you to the 2 pass BBS without worry about slicing and dicing yourself, even with some unsteady hands.

6 905
 07-16-2012, 04:53 AM
User Info
Quickest shave is splashing warm water on my face, a bit of facial massage, application of a shave stick (Arko, Palmolive, Wilkinson Sword) work best. I rinse a TGN 24 mm finest or Frank Shave Finest under the faucet for a minute (badgers need less soaking than my beloved boar brushes)

Two quick passes with a 'go to' razor/blade combination followed by a cold water splash and out the door.

I usually can get a pretty good SAS or even DFS.

3 452
 07-16-2012, 06:00 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(07-16-2012, 04:07 AM)EHV Wrote: uncledave,
it's surely a YMMV thing but I don't find my 39C Sledgehammer Slant to be overly aggressive or more so than my Slim set on 9. I could be in the minority here on that one.

I find the Slant to be incredibly efficient with no need for further aggression. It just slices away efficiently without any fuss and with less noise, especially on the initial pass than my other DE's. It goes about it's business without any drama and without any special vigilance on my part and gets the job done spectacularly without the need for a bigger blade gap.

I think that if you like a Slim set on 9 and/or an Injector, a Slant might just be the in between that hits the spot and perhaps will get you to the 2 pass BBS without worry about slicing and dicing yourself, even with some unsteady hands.

Thanks for the info. I'll check that razor out!

(07-16-2012, 04:53 AM)redrako Wrote: Quickest shave is splashing warm water on my face, a bit of facial massage, application of a shave stick (Arko, Palmolive, Wilkinson Sword) work best. I rinse a TGN 24 mm finest or Frank Shave Finest under the faucet for a minute (badgers need less soaking than my beloved boar brushes)

Two quick passes with a 'go to' razor/blade combination followed by a cold water splash and out the door.

I usually can get a pretty good SAS or even DFS.

That's close to the method I used. It gave a decent shave. If I still worked this would be my daily routine. I pamper myself now that I have all this extra time on my hands though. Biggrin

0 396