01-27-2016, 05:41 PM
User Info
Guys, quick question. I've been tempted to buy the 102 for a very long time now, but I have decided to get an ATT S1 first and it has finally arrived yesterday.

The shave was so good, it really beats everything in my den. I have a combination of a rough beard and sensitive skin, the S1 was amazing.

The 102 though is like an itch I couldn't scratch, well maybe because I've been wanting the Stealth for the longest time now and I think it's never coming back and 102 was said to be it's closest rival. 

What do you guys think? Still worth it to get the 102 even if I have the S1 already?

Your opinions and advice would be highly appreciated Smile

11 1,169
 01-27-2016, 05:48 PM
User Info
I enjoyed my 102 and found it to be a great daily shaver. Not aggressive but very efficient and smooth. Never once got a nick or weaper when I had it. Always worth trying. I've never owned the S1 to compare. If your in no rush just keep your eyes open in the BST. They have popped up quite regularly this past month.

148 3,592
 01-27-2016, 05:55 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The iKon Shavecraft 102 is so keenly priced, that its definitely worth a try. Its on the mild side, but more comfortable and much more manoeuvrable than the iKon Slant IMO. It's based on the Mulcuto slant. The head and cap are wider on one side of the razor than the other, causing the blade to be angled. This is not a slant like the modern-day Merkurs, more like the Sesam.

As for the stealth, Fine is releasing a version of it very soon...

99 18,011
 01-28-2016, 12:37 AM
User Info
Thanks guys for the response!

Oh man I'm so torn... !

11 1,169
 01-28-2016, 12:46 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Impossible to answer, I prefer the S1 by a great margin but others on our Dutch shaving forum seem to love the iKon a lot. Maybe try to loan one?

28 1,448
 01-28-2016, 02:16 AM
User Info
No need to want a RR stealth now that you have the S1. I actually sold my Stealth, the head was too big and the S1 shaved so much better and the quality of the build on the S1 is also better. You might also want to consider an Ikon B1 or DLC they shave really nice and have great feedback

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

19 600
 01-28-2016, 03:05 AM
User Info
S1 rocks, so smooth and efficient. I had the 102, it was too mild for my liking.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

2 107
 01-28-2016, 04:13 AM
User Info
Two different shaves with two different designs. They are both good and worth having and the price on the Ikon 102 if you just buy the head is very reasonable. Do both and rotate your way to happiness!

54 332
 01-28-2016, 04:21 AM
User Info
The 102 is a different beasty from a S1. The S1 is a true slant: torques blade what makes the diagonal cut but also makes the blade stiffer. The 102 is a diagonal: the head is diagonal which makes for the diagonal cut, but there's no torque hence no extra blade stiffening. This makes for a rather different shave.
Personally, I love my S2 (haven't shaved with a S1 yet, got a loaner which I'll try out this evening). It is a very comfortable shaver and delivers a very good shave. I do like the 102 which for a diagonal razor is actually quite mild, relatively speaking. However, where diagonals such as the 102 are concerned, my personal preference is the lighter the better. In that light, for me the 102 is a bit too heavy. The all-plastic Mulcuto, which has the same head/blade geometry, for me is a better shaver, be it very aggressive.

3 108
 01-28-2016, 04:46 AM
User Info
(01-28-2016, 12:37 AM)1Geralt Wrote: Thanks guys for the response!

Oh man I'm so torn... !

Just go by the rule a lot of us here end up using at the end of our queries here on the Nook, and the vendors just love us for it  Biggrin

BUY BOTH !!!

If you in any way possible can afford it, that is...........

24 6,018
 01-28-2016, 08:36 AM
User Info
YMMV, but I bought the 102 and sold it after a few weeks.  

Here was my problem.  I have developed a nice Gillette slide technique that I use (bizarrely, I accomplish this by different approaches on the left side and on the right side of my face).  On the left side, I angle my razor and then pull it straight down.  On the right, I do a true Gillette slide.  Don't ask me why I shave this way, because I really don't know why except that it works for me. 

So, because the 102 just angles the blade, it was actually hard for me to use.  If it angles it one way, and I'm tilting the razor the other, I may actually take the "slant" right out of it and turn it into a regular SB, only losing the Gillette slide technique that I like.  Over time it became obvious that the razor was not for me; I don't want to have to THINK that hard when I'm shaving!  I was constantly trying to figure out whether I was fighting the slant or not.  (I suppose I could've just shaved straight down with it, but I never shave straight down and have a muscle memory for my way of shaving.)  

Anyway, so I sold it.  

It was smooth and fairly mild.  I didn't think it was all that, though, and maybe it was because I was actually fighting against it quite a bit.

2 1,548
 01-28-2016, 05:48 PM
User Info
I gave in.. I bought it........

I hope it really is good.. omg my crying wallet.. :'(

Edit: I got the OSS handle btw, is it good?

11 1,169
 01-28-2016, 05:58 PM
User Info
(01-28-2016, 05:48 PM)1Geralt Wrote: I gave in.. I bought it........

You will.likely love the ikon ShaveCraft 102 slant .. i've yet to have anything but an irritation free near BBS shave every time i use it. I have the OSS handle and love it ...often after shaving with this razor i'll ask myself "why do you need any other razor"
  Let us know what you think of the ikon ShaveCraft 102 slant once you get it and have a few shaves with it 

30 447
 01-28-2016, 06:04 PM
User Info

It is OK, but you will be missing the wonders of the bamboo and bulldog ...  Eusa_whistle
Oh and that is off course just talking about the iKons, right

8 1,209
 01-28-2016, 06:21 PM
User Info
(01-28-2016, 05:58 PM)LuvWetShavin Wrote:

You will.likely love the ikon ShaveCraft 102 slant .. i've yet to have anything but an irritation free near BBS shave every time i use it. I have the OSS handle and love it ...often after shaving with this razor i'll ask myself "why do you need any other razor"
  Let us know what you think of the ikon ShaveCraft 102 slant once you get it and have a few shaves with it 

Thank you mate, I will. I only have one left on my list (except for Wolfman's) and that's the up and coming Fine Slant. I'm sure it wouldn't be too expensive, hopefully there are enough supplies to go around for everyone who wants it.

(01-28-2016, 06:04 PM)lloydrm Wrote:

It is OK, but you will be missing the wonders of the bamboo and bulldog ...  Eusa_whistle
Oh and that is off course just talking about the iKons, right

Hahaha oh god you made me think again!!

11 1,169
 01-28-2016, 06:25 PM
User Info

I handle is just like a blade or razor head. Different folks different strokes. I personally love the OSS handle. It's one of my favorites. Great knurling, nice weight and length, etc. I just don't do small handles like bulldogs and travel. If you don't like it on the 102,  try it on something else. You will be amazed at how much a razor can change just by using  different handle.

148 3,592
 01-28-2016, 06:47 PM
User Info
(01-28-2016, 05:58 PM)LuvWetShavin Wrote:

(01-28-2016, 06:25 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:

I handle is just like a blade or razor head. Different folks different strokes. I personally love the OSS handle. It's one of my favorites. Great knurling, nice weight and length, etc. I just don't do small handles like bulldogs and travel. If you don't like it on the 102,  try it on something else. You will be amazed at how much a razor can change just by using  different handle.

Thanks Freddie, I appreciate it. I usually prefer smaller handles like the length of the Atlas but it's nice to have a little variety when you're in the mood. I'm just not too sure about really big handles though.

Now for the hard part, the wait.

11 1,169
 01-28-2016, 11:53 PM
User Info
@Kingfisher: this is a problem then that you have with all slants, the fighting the diagonal bit?

3 108
 01-29-2016, 12:29 PM
User Info
(01-28-2016, 11:53 PM)efsk Wrote: @Kingfisher: this is a problem then that you have with all slants, the fighting the diagonal bit?

I've never tried another slant, so I don't know.  The way I shave, I don't know that a slant would have much value added anyway.

2 1,548
 01-29-2016, 07:35 PM
User Info
(01-27-2016, 05:55 PM)ben74 Wrote: The iKon Shavecraft 102 is so keenly priced, that its definitely worth a try. Its on the mild side, but more comfortable and much more manoeuvrable than the iKon Slant IMO. It's based on the Mulcuto slant. The head and cap are wider on one side of the razor than the other, causing the blade to be angled. This is not a slant like the modern-day Merkurs, more like the Sesam.

As for the stealth, Fine is releasing a version of it very soon...

The 102 is *shaped* like the Mulcuto, but doesn't shave a thing like the Mulcuto. It's a lot more like the 1930 Walbusch.

The Fine is a version of the Merkur bakelite slant. The Stealth was also a version of the bakelite Slant, but had many tweaks and design changes to it. The Fine promises to be a lot more faithful to the original.

4 181