01-27-2016, 06:56 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
[Image: HcPFw0Q.jpg]I just received my first straight a vintage CMON razor looks like it has never even been used before. I need to get it up to speed and shave ready I have never used a straight before. 

First thing is I was looking for advice on where or whom to send it to get it shave ready

Also I don't have a strop was looking at SRD and they have so many options I don't know what to look for, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Here's a photo of the razor.

23 598
 01-27-2016, 09:23 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
That's a very nice razor. I would recommend the 3" Premium IV English Bridle strop. A 3" strop is far easier to use, asit will accommodate the length of most razor blades. Actually, any of the SRD 3" strops will perform just as well, only you won't know your personal preference until you've used one for awhile. Practice stropping on it with a butter knife for awhile, as it's easy to knick up a strop until you learn proper technique. You could also send your razor to Lynn Abrams at SRD for honing, and you should be reviewing his You Tube videos on stropping and how to shave with a straight. Several of our members also would hone if for you, including Doc226 or Obie. You should try to find a mentor in your area to help teach you proper shaving, stropping, and eventually honing techniques. I hope you enjoy straight razor shaving.

38 5,030
 01-28-2016, 03:10 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
The superior shave was honing for free at one point. Edges are very good. As for a strop. SRD strips are nice with replaceable parts if you nick it. Cheaper nice strops can be had but be careful to not go cheap on the strip or that's what you get.

7 438
 01-28-2016, 03:47 AM
User Info
I know I am still very new and have not established myself on the Nook yet but I will gladly hone it for free, just cover the shipping. PM if interested

I can do a total synthetic progression up to 16K or JNAT finish

As far as strops SRD or TM have good choices

BTW ....C-Mon's are great, Love mine

[Image: bpEtSXn.jpg]

6 1,253
 01-28-2016, 04:06 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Congrats on getting a classic razor in excellent condition, enjoy.

Bob

0 1,694
 01-28-2016, 04:14 AM
User Info
Very nice razor, congratulations.

3 98
 01-28-2016, 05:38 AM
User Info
Nice vintage and all great suggestions here!  I would look to a 3" strop as well so you will not have to do the "X" pattern and swoosh motion as I say.  Makes it easy for beginning folks and also look to a strop combo like most are with a web backing or linen.  I prefer linen best but they are hard to find as a combo sometimes.  I bought a linen alone for setting up the razor on the leather.

As far as honing goes.........I am a big fan of Lynn Abrams on SRP and his videos on Youtube are easy to follow if you become a do it yourselfer for sure.  But as one person stated, TSS (The Superior Shave) that is owned by Jarrod in Florida will hone a razor you do not even buy from him for free!!!!!  Even ships it back for free!!!  But I would personally purchase something from him myself like some after shave or balm as a gratitude but that is me.  But I assure you, he will hone it as well with no questions asked.  Honing prices from what I have seen are roughly $25 if no extra work needed to a razor and you still have to pay return shipping.  I do my own so I have not really ever used it.  I still have my certificates for free hones from SRP and of course my razors bought from TSS that carry that free honing I never use.

So congrats and welcome and you have a nice razor!  Keep us updated as to what you decide and who hones it.  I like to hear success stories of a well groomed shave ready razor!

0 413
 01-28-2016, 03:43 PM
User Info
(01-28-2016, 03:10 AM)jtmke Wrote: The superior shave was honing for free at one point. Edges are very good. As for a strop. SRD strips are nice with replaceable parts if you nick it. Cheaper nice strops can be had but be careful to not go cheap on the strip or that's what you get.

It looks like they are still honing for free on EU and US razors only. Has anyone had their razor home by them? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 180
 01-28-2016, 04:55 PM
User Info
(01-28-2016, 03:43 PM)Razor_187 Wrote:
(01-28-2016, 03:10 AM)jtmke Wrote: The superior shave was honing for free at one point. Edges are very good. As for a strop. SRD strips are nice with replaceable parts if you nick it. Cheaper nice strops can be had but be careful to not go cheap on the strip or that's what you get.

It looks like they are still honing for free on EU and US razors only. Has anyone had their razor home by them? Thanks.

I have bought razors from TSS and Jarrod makes sure each is honed before it leaves the shop to the buyer.  I have never had one yet that did not come ready to go from him.

0 413
 01-28-2016, 07:09 PM
User Info
(01-28-2016, 03:43 PM)Razor_187 Wrote:

I sent a shaver to Jarrod and he put a coti edge on it for free I just had to cover shipping to him, when I got it back it provided me with a great shave and I was still learning to hone so I picked up a few coticules as I was thinking that was the edge I wanted, well fast forward to a JNAT edge I had Doc226 put on one of mine as I wanted to compare edges, well long story short I prefer the keener edge of a JNAT and sold all the coticules and picked up a few different JNATS and do a progression of 1K-8K (1,4,8) and finish on either a Okudo or Nakayama Asaigi Tomae.

The only way you are going to decide if you like a JNAT or coti edge is to try both and decide, I can't give a coti edge as I don't have the stones but can give a pretty keen JNAT one.

6 1,253
 02-01-2016, 04:59 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
Just thought I'd update got my strop in today from SRD [Image: aX51gUS.jpg]

And the razor is off with doc getting sharpened

23 598
 02-01-2016, 05:38 PM
  • SciTX
  • Houston, TX Area
User Info
take your time and go slowly....get as much advice as you can....watch some videos

When it comes right down to it, you just have to put the blade to your face.  Try to start using both hands...it will feel awkward at first but soon it will be second nature.

Don't be afraid to finish shaves with a DE at first after one or two straight passes....and remember light touch, shallow angle

Good Luck! and your gear looks great!!

0 62
 02-01-2016, 07:04 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Nice score!

Cheers, Steve

7 466
 02-01-2016, 07:11 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Beautiful strop, and Doc will put a fantastic edge on your razor.

38 5,030
 02-09-2016, 08:33 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
Had my first shave and unfortunately I can't report that it went well. Didn't cut myself or anything I just couldn't get the technique down. Holding the razor was awkward and I couldn't get any smooth strokes to cut hair it wouldn't glide like my SE and DEs do. I'm sure this will change once I get the technique down... Well till next shave hopefully I'll have a better experience.

23 598