07-15-2012, 05:05 AM
User Info
I figure it'll take a long time to use up all these beautiful soaps and creams! Somebody's got to do it, right? Will you guys help me out here? I'm doing the best I can, and here are the latest results, you will immediately notice that I'm having a lot more success with creams than I am with soaps:

Irisch Moos Shaving Cream tube, finished April 30, 2012.
COBigelow (Proraso) Shaving Cream tube, finished May 13, 2012.
I Coloniali Softening Rhubarb Shaving Cream tube, finished July 4, 2012.
Malaspina Eucalyptus Shaving Cream Soap tub, finished July 7, 2012.

I've been able to accomplish this seemingly impossible feat by using each one exclusively for at least 2 weeks at a time. I'm learning that the longer I stick with one product exclusively, the better I come to enjoy it, and by the end of the appointed time, I'm either loving it or not loving it.

Please post your results and your ongoing efforts to use something completely up and move on to another one. It's actually harder to do than one would think. What do you guys have to say about this?

24 1,116
 07-15-2012, 05:31 AM
User Info
Whatever works for you.

I like the variety of using different items every day. I did want to use up some Vitos. It took me many months of exclusive use to use it up. Now Vitos is a nice product so it wasn't a hardship, but I missed my variety during that time. There's nothing else that I want to use up at this time, so I'll be quite a long time using another product up.

32 6,304
 07-15-2012, 06:29 AM
User Info
I wish I could use up something, in three years of daily shaves I have yet to finish up any product. Mind you my tube of Maca Root is coming close!

0 59
 07-15-2012, 06:39 AM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
I've been wet-shaving since November 2011 and have yet to use up a product (including aftershaves). Getting close on a puck of MWF and still have a half bottle of clubman and irisch moos aftershaves. The problem is I have multiple backups for all of these arrrrghhh.

18 281
 07-15-2012, 07:01 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I do not like this plan. I think you should be buying and trying new products constantly. No need to finish anything. Biggrin

45 15,966
 07-15-2012, 07:20 AM
User Info
I'm trying to get to the end of some samples I got of Mike's Natural Soaps so I can buy the full sized ones... the problem is that his samples are very generous indeed.

And in the longer run I'm looking to finish of the bottles I have of Krampert's Finest, so I can get the pleasure to order more of it Biggrin

3 3,446
 07-15-2012, 08:30 AM
User Info
I hear you Phil.Smile About 4 months ago there came a splendid revelation, one great big floodlight came on and burned the truth upon my brain, and the following is what I wrote:

I am 100% certain and completely satisfied with the sure knowledge that I now have all of the soaps and creams I'll ever desire. Much, much more than I want and need, as a matter of fact. What a relief! Next comes the slow but sure winnowing of the overly bountiful harvest.

I see that I have a few possible avenues of travel to consider: I could just keep on buying stuff, and pretend I never posted to the contrary, that's the likeliest, but the weakest one. Or, I could start selling stuff, but dang it, I love that stuff so maybe I don't sell it. Or, I guess I could start giving it away! Maybe in the meantime I could just do nothing at all, except concentrating on using what I have and continuously catagorizing and sorting through it all, kind of like a little kid with a stamp or coin collection, or Barbies or marbles or something! I don't know, so I thought I'd find out what you guys think, because we are each other's enablers!

I've successfully identified the group that work best for me. I'll get backups for my favorites, but nothing else.

The radar is still up and running, but it'll be searching for stuff that doesn't currently exist (Harris Windsor, for example). Who knows what wonderful products will become available later on, but as for now, I'm a happy and lucky guy. Just keep in mind this milestone applies to shaving creams and soaps (100%), and probably brushes, razor blades, and straight razors (about 95%). Time will tell!

A limited exception to purchase something new will be granted by the oracle of shaving, I'm sure, when we finally get the word that Harris Windsor soap is the same tallow recipe as the others from DRH.

Meanwhile, I'm pleased to know that I've actually sold off some stuff and it's either in or on the way to new homes at some point.

24 1,116
 07-15-2012, 10:30 AM
User Info
I'm working on this.

My status so far:

• 5/9/11-7/22/11: various (20!) cream samples
• 7/23/11-8/30/11: QED Lime stick
• 8/31/11-9/30/11: Proraso cream (about a third of a tube)
• 10/1/11-12/18/11: Arko stick
• 12/19/11-3/13/12: Tabac
• 3/15/12-4/23/12: Cella (gave up @ 40g to go)
• 6/3/12-7/9/12: RazoRock XXX
• 7/13/12-present: Haslinger Marigold

12 1,241
 07-15-2012, 12:11 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I have some Tabac that with a few weeks of use would/will be gone.

12 743
 07-15-2012, 01:51 PM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
I've been using one product at a time for a few months now. I really enjoy it - the consistency and learning the "nuances" of a soap/cream. It's hard to do that if you're rotating daily.

Also, if I find that I can more easily identify which products meet my preferences for certain characteristics. Also, if I'm not enjoying something after a week or two, I'll get rid of it. Sell it, PIF it or trash it. I don't really care about completing something just for the sake of finishing it.

I don't have any problems with buying more products, although I will take breaks from making purchases for a few months a time. Sometimes I buy new things that I haven't tried or replacements (sometimes backups) of what I have.

I'm not sure if there is an endpoint for me or specific target or goal. Finding the perfect product? Getting my supply of shaving soap to a "reasonable" level? I don't know. I almost got rid of everything and stocked up only on MWF when I finished a puck a couple of months ago. I guess I could be happy with just that soap, but I like knowing I have some variety of products to use (even if they are all in a box in the closet). Currently, I'm using Santa Maria Novella. Maybe, I'm reconsidering my thoughts on which is my favorite.

6 235
 07-15-2012, 08:24 PM
User Info
i have to agree with you that it is hard to only use one item.
However, i only use two soaps, so it is not very difficult to choose for me. Hee hee. Good luck, sir.

74 20,807
 07-17-2012, 02:30 PM
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(07-15-2012, 07:01 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I do not like this plan. I think you should be buying and trying new products constantly. No need to finish anything. Biggrin

What am I supposed to say, Phil? Do you have any idea how big my personal stash is? Biggrin

3 2,547
 07-19-2012, 04:33 AM
User Info
I've only bought 5 soaps, and 2 creams this year woot! haha

Gary I know what you mean though, some things that I wrote off, I went back to and tried or have used up and wound up appreciating them in the end.

0 652
 07-19-2012, 07:52 AM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
I have finished one product so far:

Palmolive Shave Stick.

It's my favorite product and I had 2 backup sticks. Once I finish the next one I'll try and find a case of them to buy. Seems a little hoardingish for me (I hate having STUFF) but, I would kick myself if it disappeared and I didn't have a backstock.

1 111
 07-19-2012, 08:02 AM
User Info
I've tried to do a 1 week rotation with each, that seems to give me a good sense of the product, but then i get tired of using it and move on to the next.

the 1 week, seems to make a dent in some (creams like you said), but soaps look hardly used, but obviously are.

i'm not on a no-shave purchase sabbatical, but i am trying to resist ordering more, even though i really want some Mikes and QCS, but will try to resist until i'm down to 6 or so total soaps/creams.

anyone who can use a single full sized (or almost full) product until it's empty, get's a salute from me.Thumbsup

8 2,718
 07-19-2012, 08:10 AM
User Info
I finally finished off a puck of Tabac late last year by sticking with it for months on end. Probably closer to years on end. That thing lasted forever.

Nowhere close to finishing off anything else.

9 2,987
 07-19-2012, 08:42 AM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have finished off several tubes of Speick and Proraso and two pucks of MWF but nothing else. I keep buying new things to try.

Now, the smart one on here is Nick (wknicholas). Just look at his SOTD pictures. For years all he used was ARKO sticks grated in a ramekin, now he mainly uses just two soaps, MWF and TABAC.

He is consistent and gets great shaves. He is a happy camper.

I guess the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" could apply to soaps and creams if you have one you really like.

But then, there is another old saying "variety is the spice of life".

173 23,296
 07-19-2012, 09:23 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I guess I like variety since I can't seem to use a soap or cream more than two shaves in a row. I've given away and tossed a bunch, but in almost 3 years the only one I actually finished was a tub of TOBS Rose cream. That one I liked and replaced so it didn't reduce the amount I have. And of course I keep ordering new ones to add to the rotation.

0 204
 07-19-2012, 05:13 PM
User Info
I'm in! Tomorrow I will finish a tube of Arko Moist. Since I started using a brush and cream/soap over 2 yrs ago I've finished:
Musgo Real
Proraso tube
Arko stick
Cella tub
Arko Cool tube
Palmolive stick
Erasmic stick
Speick stick

For a while I was pretty focused on 1 product at a time, now I change it up a little more as I'm down to just a few. The triple milled soaps will take a while...

I feel just a little foolish having so much stuff, but I've enjoyed trying all these soaps. I have also found that the more I use a product, the more I enjoy it and the better I get and finding the sweet spot for water, lathering, etc.

I think where I'm headed is having 2 or 3 that I will stay with and having 1 or 2 different products to experiment with.

0 140
 07-19-2012, 06:57 PM
User Info
In three-years of wet shaving I've finished 3 tubes of Bigelow cream, 3 sticks of Palmolive. This year I know that I'll finish a Mike's Natural Barbershop puck and another Bigelow tube and maybe a puck of Tabac.

I agree with those who argue that regular use of a product allows you to better dial in better lathering properties.

Of course there are soaps such as MWF that simply get peevish if you are not paying regular attention to them

3 446