01-28-2016, 06:46 PM
User Info
How many tries do you give a product before you give up on it? I've used a razor three times and it's not worked out well for me on any occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 326
 01-28-2016, 06:53 PM
User Info
I usually only need one try, now, but I allow for three generous ones, then it has to go if it doesn't meet my requirements. I can be a bit demanding, at times.  Biggrin

83 21,109
 01-28-2016, 07:00 PM
User Info
I'm kind of the same way. I have so many awesome products, I hate wasting a shave on a bad one

18 326
 01-28-2016, 07:01 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I agree with Celestino. After trying a lot of products over a number of years I'm now pretty confident after the first try. 

That said, I have revisited items and received better results (and also regretted not giving items more opportunity before letting them go. I think a week of consistent use is a good plan to ensure you've given an item ample time to gel. 

Razors in particular can take a few uses before getting the hang of them. Soaps are different, IMO there are simply too many to choose from to waste time persevering with something you're not enjoying.

99 18,011
 01-29-2016, 04:45 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I have about 20 soaps I am re-visiting but most likely will go. I have strops that have only been used once or twice that I have given up on. 

When it comes to my straights I have some that are not where I want them but I will keep tinkering with an edge or the scales until I have so much work in them that I can't part with them.

9 462
 01-29-2016, 05:21 AM
User Info
Soaps and Razors I can usually go on first time but I will give them a few chances. Other products maybe a tad longer.

I don't really change much of my equipment any more other than trying new soaps. I have found for me what works.

4 642
 01-29-2016, 06:34 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I gave up on a Muhle 89 after using it about half a dozen times. Couldn't find the sweet spot to save my life. Gave it my buddy and he loves it! He's one of my converts Wink

7 2,354
 01-29-2016, 10:52 PM
User Info
I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89 and was really disappointed with the handle.  It felt hollow and just generally, cheap.  In checking out different razors (I've been a wet-shaving convert for 3 or 4 months now), I'd purchased a Muhle R89 before my EJ, not realizing the EJ and Muhle shared the same head.  Well, the EJ head is now a spare and the handle relegated to the recycle bin.

But other than that, of all the products and razors I've tried since converting (in suspension for a while until my wife recovers from the Amazon bill), the only other product that didn't make it was a box of 100 Personna blades.  All it took was one painful shave to realize they were going to the recycle bin too.

0 401
 01-30-2016, 06:26 AM
User Info
Three times tops when it comes to razors. Life is too short to waste on a lousy shave.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

0 94
 01-30-2016, 07:10 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I have been having fun trying to tame the Williams Mug soap. It was so inexpensive I had to give it a try. Except for Dorco's, I really like to try something about 6 times before I really call it quits.

0 360
 01-30-2016, 07:40 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I usually give them chances except if I just don't like the scent. That concerns the soaps and creams. As for the razors, I can use them for 2-3 times and understand how much I like them. About the lotions and colognes I use to sniff them and test longevity in colognes before buying them. This can go also for some soaps and creams, but I don't always have this opportunity when I make orders. I read carefully the descriptions and think about it. It's not always how I imagined to be, but generally I am ok with most of them.

49 2,016
 01-30-2016, 07:55 AM
User Info
I think I'm gonna go with the here times rule. It's a kamisori, which I really wanted, but I don't think it's for me

18 326
 01-30-2016, 09:15 AM
User Info
Over the years, I have tried many hard shaving soaps from Czech & speak, Floris, Creed, Penhaligans, Truefitt & Hill, D R Harris, Geo F Trumper, Tabac, MWF ......... To name but a few, I do still use one hard soap MDC and a few Croap's i.e. ABC, Boellis Panama 1924, SMN, ADP, on occasions. Mainly these days I use Creams.

So to with shaving brushes, tried several different manufactures of Boar & Mix, afraid not for me [ymmv] I tend to go 3band S/Tip Super or 2band super.

And again with razors, have tried SE's cannot get on with these either [ymmv] stick with DE's .............

And lastly after shave balms of which I have tried quite a few, and now whittled it down to just four: ABC apricot hull, SMN balm, I'Coloniali, Baume.Be 

Charles  U.K

0 2,428
 02-02-2016, 07:14 AM
  • DaveL
  • Houston, Texas
User Info
I'll usually give a product three tries and I'll know if it will work for me.

2 128
 02-02-2016, 09:50 AM
User Info
The first couple of times, I figure it could be me. After the third time is usually my limit.

0 1,097
 02-06-2016, 04:07 PM
User Info
You know- what i struggle with most is when to give up! I own a razor or two that people seem to love and I just can't get a decent shave out of. I'll use it, and vow to sell it on the spot. Then some time will go by and I'll give it another shot. Still bad! And so the cycle continues.....

1 27
 02-06-2016, 05:27 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Shaving forums and YOUTUBE videos are such a wealth of preconsumer information going on a coyote date with a new item is less likely with a little homework. Anyone who consciously tries MERKUR or BOLZANO blades after the near unanimous consensus of their quality has no one to blame. The recent popularity with Mystic Waters is tempered by it's need for soft water and hard lathering; lesson learned right here. I think the
renniassance in wetshaving has rapidly 'raised the bar' and our willingness to pay for quality. The downside is many  'yoeman' products that give decent performance offer little incentive to bother with. Who wants to open a can of FOLGERs after you've  brewed freshly ground Kona?

2 3,171
 02-06-2016, 09:10 PM
User Info
(02-06-2016, 05:27 PM)kav Wrote: I think the renniassance in wetshaving has rapidly 'raised the bar' and our willingness to pay for quality. The downside is many  'yoeman' products that give decent performance offer little incentive to bother with. Who wants to open a can of FOLGERs after you've  brewed freshly ground Kona?

Very true. Part of me is sentimental, but I'm also happy about the proliferation of quality products on both the budget and luxury ends of the spectrum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 286
 02-06-2016, 10:04 PM
User Info
I really really tried to like my boar brushes, and bought 5 from, Semogue and 3 from Omega - top of the line boar brushes, but even after trying to break them in for months, I never felt the way some boar fans do, that they even remotely felt like badger brushes.

Yes, they were soft and nice, but did not give me anything close to what my high end 2-band badger give me.
They always felt, looked an behaved like rather cheap brushes, and so they are.

And I can never look at a boar brush, and for a split second say that it's nothing short of darn ugly..........

24 6,018
 02-07-2016, 04:39 AM
User Info
I agree with the boars, I do have the new RR boar which is actually pretty good. I still prefer synthetics or badgers

18 326