01-29-2016, 06:34 PM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
I was curious in regards to what peoples thoughts are on the Epsilon 2-band.  I've read people were happy with the Anniversary brush, but haven't read much since.  I know the handles in the newer Epsilon brushes aren't as nice as the 75th anniversary handles, and that they aren't engraved.  I recently purchased one of the Epsilon silvertip brushes and love it.  Was thinking of adding a 2-band, but I'm not a fan of scritch.  Backbone yes, Scritch no.  If you have experience with the newer 2-band knots please let me know as I would really appreciate it!!  Thanks!!

42 581
 01-29-2016, 06:53 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I have both, 2 band is 55mm and 3 band is 50 mm. Been using them almost exclusively since the first week of January. Both have soft tips, but I don't think the 2 band has reached its full potential yet. The 3 band is denser by a hair - pun intended - feels more wall of badger-like. Presently I'm more impressed with the 3 band - the jury's still out on the 2 band. I should have a better idea about the 2 band in a few more weeks.

The 2 band has a bit more backbone and is a bit scrubbier. No scritch with either. The 3 band has wonderful backbone, has soft tips, good flow, and is a joy to use. I'm loving it Biggrin

4 1,903
 01-29-2016, 08:12 PM
User Info
I would go with the 55mm one as the 50mm might have too much backbone for you. No scritch, whatsoever, and they are fantastic knots for their price.

82 21,056
 01-30-2016, 03:30 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
My anniversary brush is very well made, super soft tips and scritch. I have a three band with similar traits. Vie-Long have amazing density and tip softness WITH some level of scritch to make it not your favorite brush.

7 438
 01-30-2016, 05:41 AM
User Info
I have had the 2-Band brush in 55mm loft for a while, now, and love it. A very dense knot that's scrubby and without a hint of scritch. I recently bought a 3-Band Silvertip brush with the 50mm knot, which arrived at home during the week whilst I am away. The brush has been forwarded to me and it arrived 3 hours ago, giving me the opportunity to try it, this morning. The 3-Band is outstanding. Super soft hair, zero scritch, but with a density slightly higher than the 2-Band, that affords this brush the backbone I adore. I actually prefer it over the 55mm 2-Band at the moment, after just one use. I have just ordered the 2-Band with the 50mm loft. It will be interesting to compare.

31 5,277
 01-30-2016, 06:06 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I only own three Epsilon brushes, all are 2-band 27/50mm.  One is the black-handle engraved anniversary brush.
My 2-band Epsilons are very dense with the softest tips of all my brushes but have a LOT of backbone, too much sometimes.
Now after David's review, I'm after a 3-band.  Anyone want to swap? Wink

47 1,901
 01-30-2016, 06:04 PM
User Info
I have the 27/50mm butterscotch 2-band and it' an outstanding knot.  Strong backbone and scrub, but no scritch for me.   If you want a little less backbone and scrub, the 55mm version is worth looking at.  The handle on mine is nice, particularly at the price for the brush.  I think these are an outstanding value.

48 5,703
 02-03-2016, 04:31 AM
User Info
(01-30-2016, 05:41 AM)Optometrist Wrote: I have had the 2-Band brush in 55mm loft for a while, now, and love it. A very dense knot that's scrubby and without a hint of scritch. I recently bought a 3-Band Silvertip brush with the 50mm knot, which arrived at home during the week whilst I am away. The brush has been forwarded to me and it arrived 3 hours ago, giving me the opportunity to try it, this morning. The 3-Band is outstanding. Super soft hair, zero scritch, but with a density slightly higher than the 2-Band, that affords this brush the backbone I adore. I actually prefer it over the 55mm 2-Band at the moment, after just one use. I have just ordered the 2-Band with the 50mm loft. It will be interesting to compare.

Following on from what I have already written, the 27x50 2-band has just arrived and I've had an opportunity to use, this morning. Please bear in mind from the following comments that this is first use, and the 55mm 2-band has seen use some half a dozen times.

Once again, the knot in this 50mm brush is extremely dense and the bulb is shaped to perfection. Undoubtedly, this is a scrubbier brush than the 55mm and has considerable backbone. I love backbone but even I would class it as slightly excessive. And again, not a hint of scritch. Hopefully, the knot will loosen up over time.

So, as things stand, what is my overall view of the Epsilon knots in both grades of hair? Between the 2-Band brushes, I favour the 55mm loft, at this time. My decision is based upon which brush I could live with on a daily basis. I love the scrub of the 50mm but the backbone would be too much for me on daily use. If I could customise the 2-Band, I believe a 52-53mm loft would be ideal. However, as it stands, the outright winner of the group is, unquestionably, still the 3-Band 27x50, IMO. It does everything so perfectly. It's outstandingly soft, yet with a density slightly greater than either of the 2-Bands, it provides the most ample, enjoyable backbone. I shall see how the 50mm 2-Band changes over time, although I fail to see how it will ever match the 3-Band in all-round performance. It's that good a brush. Biggrin

[Image: SU1BRzc1NzUuanBn_zpsmf8jhw4b.jpg][Image: SU1BRzc2MDEuanBn_zpslq9neuvs.jpg]

31 5,277
 02-03-2016, 09:34 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
David, I'm in agreement about how wonderful the 50mm 3 band knot has been since day 1. Interestingly (or not), the 2 band has opened up considerably with two more shaves since I posted above. These knots are spoiling me tremendously! Other than my 59 Best, other knots just aren't as comfortable as they once were. Hmmm... what shall I do?  Undecided

4 1,903
 02-03-2016, 09:48 AM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
(02-03-2016, 04:31 AM)Optometrist Wrote:
(01-30-2016, 05:41 AM)Optometrist Wrote: I have had the 2-Band brush in 55mm loft for a while, now, and love it. A very dense knot that's scrubby and without a hint of scritch. I recently bought a 3-Band Silvertip brush with the 50mm knot, which arrived at home during the week whilst I am away. The brush has been forwarded to me and it arrived 3 hours ago, giving me the opportunity to try it, this morning. The 3-Band is outstanding. Super soft hair, zero scritch, but with a density slightly higher than the 2-Band, that affords this brush the backbone I adore. I actually prefer it over the 55mm 2-Band at the moment, after just one use. I have just ordered the 2-Band with the 50mm loft. It will be interesting to compare.

Following on from what I have already written, the 27x50 2-band has just arrived and I've had an opportunity to use, this morning. Please bear in mind from the following comments that this is first use, and the 55mm 2-band has seen use some half a dozen times.

Once again, the knot in this 50mm brush is extremely dense and the bulb is shaped to perfection. Undoubtedly, this is a scrubbier brush than the 55mm and has considerable backbone. I love backbone but even I would class it as slightly excessive. And again, not a hint of scritch. Hopefully, the knot will loosen up over time.

So, as things stand, what is my overall view of the Epsilon knots in both grades of hair? Between the 2-Band brushes, I favour the 55mm loft, at this time. My decision is based upon which brush I could live with on a daily basis. I love the scrub of the 50mm but the backbone would be too much for me on daily use. If I could customise the 2-Band, I believe a 52-53mm loft would be ideal. However, as it stands, the outright winner of the group is, unquestionably, still the 3-Band 27x50, IMO. It does everything so perfectly. It's outstandingly soft, yet with a density slightly greater than either of the 2-Bands, it provides the most ample, enjoyable backbone. I shall see how the 50mm 2-Band changes over time, although I fail to see how it will ever match the 3-Band in all-round performance. It's that good a brush. Biggrin

[Image: SU1BRzc1NzUuanBn_zpsmf8jhw4b.jpg][Image: SU1BRzc2MDEuanBn_zpslq9neuvs.jpg]

You're spot on when it comes to the 3-band.  Such a dense and wonderfully soft brush.  It's the softest scrubbiest brush that I have.  I decided to put the 27/55 2-band on the back burner.  I had one spot left and decided to go with a Thater 4125/3 2-band.  I have several scrubby 2-band brushes so I decided to go with something on the softer side.  Has any one here put fingernail polish over the logo of their Epsilon?  I know I have only used mine maybe 10 times, and I can already tell it is starting to fade.  I'm kind of a neat freak when it comes to my brushes.

42 581
 02-03-2016, 10:16 AM
User Info
(02-03-2016, 09:34 AM)chazt Wrote: David, I'm in agreement about how wonderful the 50mm 3 band knot has been since day 1. Interestingly (or not), the 2 band has opened up considerably with two more shaves since I posted above. These knots are spoiling me tremendously! Other than my 59 Best, other knots just aren't as comfortable as they once were. Hmmm... what shall I do?  Undecided

Charlie, I couldn't agree with you more. These knots, 3-Band especially, are spectacular, and unbeatable for the price. I'm away with my CH2 and CH3 Manchurians at the moment, but since receiving my 3-Band a few days ago, they haven't seen water.

31 5,277
 02-03-2016, 10:22 AM
User Info
For me I much prefer the 55mm loft for the two band over the 50mm, as the the later is just too dense..kinda like using a chunk of 2x4. YMMV though.
I will most likely purchase a three band in the 55mm loft, use it until I can assess what loft I would prefer, and then extract it and have it set at said loft into an artisan handle.

8 838
 02-03-2016, 10:49 AM
User Info
I have been reading this thread with interest as I'm seriously considering the 27x50 3 Band Epsilon as my next brush.  I got a shavemac 2 band bulb 26x50 as part of the TSR LE (thanks Nishy!) and while I think it's less dense than the Epsilon 2-band, it still could maybe stand to be a bit higher in loft.  I'm not an expert, but I think the tendency of a "pointy" feeling of the bulb knot is greater at lower loft.  From the comments here it seems 53-55 is ideal for a 2 band bulb and 50 is good for a 3 band.  A 3-band bulb is missing from my arsenal and I'm narrowing down between the 3 band Epsilon and the Thater 4125/2 3 band, which is likely a bit less dense and less scrubby due to the 54 mm loft.  Decisions, decisions...

11 966
 02-03-2016, 11:03 AM
User Info
(02-03-2016, 10:49 AM)surfshaver Wrote: I have been reading this thread with interest as I'm seriously considering the 27x50 3 Band Epsilon as my next brush.  I got a shavemac 2 band bulb 26x50 as part of the TSR LE (thanks Nishy!) and while I think it's less dense than the Epsilon 2-band, it still could maybe stand to be a bit higher in loft.  I'm not an expert, but I think the tendency of a "pointy" feeling of the bulb knot is greater at lower loft.  From the comments here it seems 53-55 is ideal for a 2 band bulb and 50 is good for a 3 band.  A 3-band bulb is missing from my arsenal and I'm narrowing down between the 3 band Epsilon and the Thater 4125/2 3 band, which is likely a bit less dense and less scrubby due to the 54 mm loft.  Decisions, decisions...

I've only ever owned one Thater 3-Band brush and sold it due to its lack of backbone. Knowing what I know now, it would be no contest. The Epsilon wins, hands down.

31 5,277
 02-03-2016, 02:27 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(02-03-2016, 10:22 AM)Dinder1 Wrote: For me I much prefer the 55mm loft for the two band over the 50mm, as the the later is just too dense..kinda like using a chunk of 2x4. YMMV though.
I will most likely purchase a three band in the 55mm loft, use it until I can assess what loft I would prefer, and then extract it and have it set at said loft into an artisan handle.
Great analogy to a 2x4. Love the concept! I want a 3 band like that. The Epsilon comes close. I've yet to try a CH2 Super. That's next.
(02-03-2016, 10:49 AM)surfshaver Wrote: I have been reading this thread with interest as I'm seriously considering the 27x50 3 Band Epsilon as my next brush.  I got a shavemac 2 band bulb 26x50 as part of the TSR LE (thanks Nishy!) and while I think it's less dense than the Epsilon 2-band, it still could maybe stand to be a bit higher in loft.  I'm not an expert, but I think the tendency of a "pointy" feeling of the bulb knot is greater at lower loft.  From the comments here it seems 53-55 is ideal for a 2 band bulb and 50 is good for a 3 band.  A 3-band bulb is missing from my arsenal and I'm narrowing down between the 3 band Epsilon and the Thater 4125/2 3 band, which is likely a bit less dense and less scrubby due to the 54 mm loft.  Decisions, decisions...
Based on the experience I've had with the 27x50 3 band, I can only offer a good enabling to you. You should get it.
Yes, it definitely looks less dense than the 2 band in 55. I wouldn't have thought so...
My face is more aware of the bulb on the more robust 2 band.

Will put up some new pics in another post. Hold the phone...

4 1,903
 02-03-2016, 03:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
In all pics, the 50mm 3 band is on the left and the 55mm 2 band is on right. To maintain the best perspective I could provide, I did my best to keep the phone in the same exact spot while reaching out to rotate brushes. Like I said above, I was mildly surprised when a view from above indicated what seems to be a denser knot on the 2 band. Otoh maybe that is due to the "bloomier" knot of the 3 band. Idk.

[Image: lm5wLKT.jpg]

[Image: eJXJkNU.jpg]

[Image: HToxflK.jpg]

[Image: gHfdXo4.jpg]

[Image: CTjFmoo.jpg]

4 1,903
 02-03-2016, 04:12 PM
User Info
(02-03-2016, 03:06 PM)chazt Wrote: In all pics, the 50mm 3 band is on the left and the 55mm 2 band is on right. To maintain the best perspective I could provide, I did my best to keep the phone in the same exact spot while reaching out to rotate brushes. Like I said above, I was mildly surprised when a view from above indicated what seems to be a denser knot on the 2 band. Otoh maybe that is due to the "bloomier" knot of the 3 band. Idk.

[Image: lm5wLKT.jpg]

[Image: eJXJkNU.jpg]

[Image: HToxflK.jpg]

[Image: gHfdXo4.jpg]

[Image: CTjFmoo.jpg]

Thanks for the advice and for the pics!  The faux horn handle is really pretty.  A bit similar to the brown-beige handle on my Shavemac but I like it anyway.  Think I've decided on my next brush...

11 966
 02-03-2016, 04:47 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
You'll love it!

4 1,903
 02-04-2016, 11:05 AM
User Info
(02-03-2016, 04:47 PM)chazt Wrote: You'll love it!

Thanks Charlie!  But now after reading another current thread, I'm still on the fence about lofts.  Two posters there said the 3-band at 50 mm loft was too dense/scrubby, one describing it as "unusable" which is definitely alarming.  YMMV and all that, but I'd hate to get the wrong brush.  Especially since I've yet to use a really dense (chubby/stubby/xl) badger.

For the record, my current lineup is as follows:

Rooney 1/2 Silvertip (24x50 3-Band Fan)

Paladin PK-47 (26x51 2 band Bulb/Fan Hybrid)

Shavemac LE (26x50 2 band Bulb)

Would love your thoughts on loft.

I know the OP was talking about 2-band, not 3, so sorry for the semi thread jack!

Alex

11 966
 02-04-2016, 02:42 PM
User Info
Alex, I highly doubt you'll find any good 3-Band silvertip brush that is 'unusable' at the dimensions of 27 x 50mm as the Epsilon 3-Band brush is.
I have two Chubby 2 Supers with dimensions of 28.5 x 51mm and 29.5 x 53mm, both being extremely dense brushes and probably more so than the Epsilon 3-Band ones you are contemplating.
Granted, I have yet to try the latter one(s), so I cannot truly comment on the backbone, but I just don't foresee the Epsilon 50mm 3-Band having too much backbone to be uncomfortable to use unless the hair/tips is/are not very good/soft. Furthermore, I can see it having more backbone than your Paladin brush.

Good luck with your decision, but I would imagine that the 50mm one would be just fine, whereas the 55m 3-Band one would be a bit more 'floppy'.

82 21,056