01-30-2016, 06:06 AM
User Info
I've been on the Go for the last week, and figured I could give the "Ultra power saving mode" a try, since I wouldn't be using my phone for much more than texting and the occasional call. Turning on the power saving should ideally give me 12.5 days of standby time on a full charge. The result after five days in the field, a fair bit of it with the phone trying to find a service to connect to (which as we all know eats more battery than actually being connected)?

Well, have a look yourself:

[Image: Uxsma9O.jpg]

A little over half the battery left, with almost seven days of juice left. Not bad at all for those times I'm away from a power outlet.

3 4,373
 01-30-2016, 06:21 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
That seems to be a pretty stout battery Hans.

59 4,387
 01-31-2016, 07:36 PM
User Info
(01-30-2016, 06:21 AM)eengler Wrote: That seems to be a pretty stout battery Hans.

Thumbsup

82 21,056
 01-31-2016, 07:51 PM
User Info
And my iPhone battery charge just dropped in half while I read this thread....

0 611
 01-31-2016, 08:05 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
An acquaintance approached me to help outfit his emergency kit for a hunting trip in Alaska. In another incarnation I was involved in field testing
survival gear. He was most interested in a KNIFE and his wife thought the whole thing silly ' you have your phone'. I told him the #1 piece of kit
should be the finest sleeping bag he could get and oh, Mors Kochanski; the dean of Canadian woodcraft used simple red handles MORAS from Sweden.
So we got him fixed up with the basics and he flew north to shoot a caribou. Somehow the plane flipped on landing in a bit of tundra melted by a
Hoax perpetrated by the Chinese   and they climbed out with their survival bags seconds before it  caught fire; destroying the emergency beacon.  He was soaking wet and crawled into the bag I suggested. THEN he had to open his phone and dry it with body heat- and it actually worked. They remained in their bags until a rescue unit arrived.
Always buy the best- but never go just  because you have it.

2 3,171
 01-31-2016, 09:41 PM
User Info
(01-31-2016, 08:05 PM)kav Wrote: . . .Mors Kochanski; the dean of Canadian woodcraft used simple red handles MORAS from Sweden. . .

Apologies for going OT, but it's interesting you mention the Mora knife, Kav. I was looking at those and trying to decide between the carbon and stainless steel. Your expert picked the red-handled carbon, so that says something.

29 1,776
 01-31-2016, 09:52 PM
User Info
(01-31-2016, 09:41 PM)rsp1202 Wrote:
(01-31-2016, 08:05 PM)kav Wrote: . . .Mors Kochanski; the dean of Canadian woodcraft used simple red handles MORAS from Sweden. . .

Apologies for going OT, but it's interesting you mention the Mora knife, Kav. I was looking at those and trying to decide between the carbon and stainless steel. Your expert picked the red-handled carbon, so that says something.

Considering that this is the off topic part of the forum, I don't see the problem Tongue

The Mora knife is pretty good utility knifes - personally I prefer Brusletto blades with home made handles - and while stainless is easier to maintain, you can get a better edge on the carbon blades.
If you want a knife you can toss in your toolbox and forget about until you need it, go for the stainless. For wood whittling and other work needing a keen edge, you can't go much wrong with carbon.

3 4,373
 01-31-2016, 10:26 PM
User Info
Hans, I'm a low-maintenance kinda guy so stainless sounds about right.
I'd never heard of Brusletto before. They look good. Thanks.

29 1,776