01-30-2016, 10:24 AM
User Info
At this point on my Wet shaving journey, I've pretty much determined which brand of blades work well for me.  I like the Red Israeli Personnas, and have also recently discovered the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows.  I was using the Yellows for about a week and was enjoying them, but decided to go back to the Personnas to compare them to one another and felt like that I'd gotten as nice a shave as I could remember.  A couple of days later, I switched to a new Personna and had a (shall we say) less enjoyable shave.  I'm not sure if it was due in part to my using a different soap or poor technique, but my gut reaction is that it was due to the blade.  My questions for some of the more experienced members of the forum are whether they have had similar thoughts and experiences?  Also, whether they have noticed a lack of uniform quality to be more prevalent in some brands than others?  I'm not asking anyone to name names (of brands), but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

0 26
 01-30-2016, 11:32 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
There are so many variables in shaving one MUST, once a magic combination is found keep it as a unit of measure. Mine is a Merkur HD, MWF, Vie-Long badger Beehive and any incarnation of the Polsilver/Super Iridium blade. I love the alchemical-Oenophile like exploration of our ever changing Moveable Feast of product. Sometimes I 'get the bear' and sometimes 'the bear gets me'. I've tried shaving during illness and injury, anger, multitasking or with one foot out the door. Any of
those EXTERNAL variables will wreck my shave. I need peace, time and  a periodic read of Musashi's BOOK OF FIVE RINGS.
There are blades that have anecdotal rumors of bad runs or indifferent quality. I tried more on my face than I care to remember. I have a blade of choice. If that bear
gets me, I stop and go back to that known measure. If I wind up with crop circles on my face it's almost always something else.

2 3,171
 01-30-2016, 03:15 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(01-30-2016, 11:32 AM)kav Wrote: There are so many variables in shaving one MUST, once a magic combination is found keep it as a unit of measure. Mine is a Merkur HD, MWF, Vie-Long badger Beehive and any incarnation of the Polsilver/Super Iridium blade. I love the alchemical-Oenophile like exploration of our ever changing Moveable Feast of product. Sometimes I 'get the bear' and sometimes 'the bear gets me'. I've tried shaving during illness and injury, anger, multitasking or with one foot out the door. Any of
those EXTERNAL variables will wreck my shave. I need peace, time and  a periodic read of Musashi's BOOK OF FIVE RINGS.
There are blades that have anecdotal rumors of bad runs or indifferent quality. I tried more on my face than I care to remember. I have a blade of choice. If that bear
gets me, I stop and go back to that known measure. If I wind up with crop circles on my face it's almost always something else.
He says "yes".

7 2,322
 01-30-2016, 07:20 PM
User Info
I don't change things up too much, but when I do, I find that sometimes it takes me a shave or two to get used to the change.. Even when I keep things the same, sometimes I just have a suboptimal shave. Maybe I don't get the lather right, or I'm in a hurry and I don't watch my angle or pressure like I should. So I guess you can get a bad blade on occasion, but as mac said, there are a lot of variables that can cause things to go south on any given morning.

0 1,070
 01-31-2016, 07:33 AM
User Info
I recently was in the middle of a shave and something about my blade just didn't feel right. Knowing that it was my first shave on this particular blade I paused to check proper blade alignment and a couple other variables. I couldn't seem to find an answer to my issue. At the price point of most blades today I decided to just pop in another fresh blade and picked up where I had left off. I finished with a fantastic shave with just the irritation where I had started my shave. I honestly feel that every once in awhile you may find that one bad blade in the batch that slipped through QC especially if you are purchasing in bulk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 96
 01-31-2016, 10:04 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Mouser is to much reading Hemingway Box Cheers

2 3,171
 01-31-2016, 11:28 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-30-2016, 11:32 AM)kav Wrote: I need peace, time and  a periodic read of Musashi's BOOK OF FIVE RINGS.

I have a blade of choice.

Miyamoto Musasi (or Musashi, if you are Hepburn-ish), who was one of the greatest, if not the greatest, of Japanese swordsmen, himself had favorite blades, and you can bet that they were fashioned in Seki, a small city in present-day Gihu (or Gifu, if you are Hepburn-ish) Prefecture, north of Nagoya.  Feather, which has its headquarters in Ōsaka, makes AS-D2 razors in Seki; and Kai, which has its headquarters in Seki, makes razor blades in Seki.  (Kai also makes Japanese-style knives, and nail clippers, and other sharp things, in Seki.)  Yagyuu Munenori, to whom Takuan Soho (he of delicious pickle fame) addressed The Unfettered Mind, also favored blades from Seki.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

1 1,086
 01-31-2016, 11:42 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-30-2016, 10:24 AM)Windy City Wrote: A couple of days later, I switched to a new Personna and had a (shall we say) less enjoyable shave. 

My questions for some of the more experienced members of the forum are whether they have had similar thoughts and experiences? 

Yr obdnt srvnt usually swims alone, against the tide, when others here suggest to new shavers that they get a blade sampler.  My own experience is that it takes at least a half-dozen blades at (for me) an average of six shaves per blade, to come to any confident conclusion whether a “good” blade is as good as or better than a known reference blade; and I expect that a newbie, lacking a standard reference blade, would be even less moored in attempting to evaluate several different blades contained in a blade sampler pack.  That said, I have run into only one truly terribly awful double edge blade, and it happened to be a Personna.  It was sufficiently bad that I discarded my own advice to shave a dozen or more times with a brand of blade before coming to any conclusion about it; and that one blade is the only Personna that I ever have used or, in the forseeable future, ever will use.

1 1,086
 02-01-2016, 09:56 PM
User Info
I like to shave with at least a tuck's worth, with a few different soaps before coming to any hard and fast conclusions. The best blades perform consistently regardless of the software I choose.

27 1,077
 02-02-2016, 04:09 AM
User Info
Despite very good recommendations, I hate Dorco blades, for me they look absolutely dull... But I love cheaper Sputnik blades...

0 86
 02-03-2016, 04:44 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Every so often I seem to get a dud DE blade - not too often though. Lately I've been changing out my SE blades more frequently than I used to do. Idk why, but after 6 to 8 3-pass shaves my skin tells me it's time for a blade change. They used to last longer. Maybe (probably) it's all in my head.

7 2,120