03-13-2017, 01:13 PM
User Info
(03-13-2017, 01:06 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote:
(03-09-2017, 08:47 AM)Panther308 Wrote:
(03-08-2017, 10:46 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: William you need to put aside your pristine glasses when you are on the look out for a pre 1890 old Sheffield wedge, you can pick them up in surprisingly good condition and they do shave so nice and smooth not the easiest razors to hone correctly but they have some of the best steel ever.

Jamie,

The one you have pictured looks very nice and what makes them not the easiest to hone ?

William,

They usually come with a little hone ware plus most have a smiling blade so most need two layers of tape some three just to keep control of that creeping bevel, they also seem to respond to several different strokes from a rolling x stroke including a mixture of almost the full honers repertoire, some just respond quickly while others don't want to play it can be  a challenge, all that said you will learn a lot honing those old Sheffield wedges for sure.

Jamie,

When you find me a nice  Biggrin I am going to have you hone it so I can try your edge, I always like trying the edges of someone that has a wealth of honing experience especially on wedges which I have not honed yet.

6 962
 03-14-2017, 04:41 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Razor in front is a Germania Cutlery, "The Oxford Razor". The stone beneath it is actually a piece of a jnat a friend of mine gave me as a tomo for my shobu. It works well for that, but I had to see what kind of edge it would give me if I honed on it. Raised a slurry with an extra fine DMT card. I will test shave it a couple days from now, but all indications are that the shave will be lovely.
The razor in the back is a Schumacher and son, "Schumacher's Best". I have been playing around with edges from different hones/combinations. It was honed on the coticule beneath it, but the slurry used was raised by the jnat in front. I had a fabulously smooth and sharp shave with the Schumacher this evening.

[Image: FTI30DO.jpg]

1 1,652
 03-16-2017, 12:16 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Lovely shave off of the Germania Cutlery blade this afternoon. Nice and smooth and sharp. Well worth the time honing on that little stone.

1 1,652
 03-17-2017, 06:23 AM
User Info
Here's the Friday 5 not a bad bunch the Hart needed quite a lot of work eventually got to grips with it everythings looking good now, one Donkey in the field the AP Donovan do I not like these razors is a understatement other than that it's been a good day all round.

[Image: lyqyAyz.jpg]

9 1,858
 03-19-2017, 10:33 AM
User Info
Two Dovos, and a Filarmonica on vintage coticules.

4 271
 Yesterday, 02:44 AM
User Info
Thursdays razor a Geo. Wostenholm & Sons "pipe razor in super condition took a superb edge I'm sure the owner will very much enjoy this razor.

[Image: GxuuQxs.jpg]

9 1,858
 Yesterday, 10:53 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I've hit on back to back finishers so I guess it's time to share in this thread.

[Image: wlsPzKA.jpg]
This VOOGD shaved very nicely yesterday.  It was originally finished on a Shapton Pro 12000 but wasn't as smooth as I wanted so I slurried up the Thuri and refinished it.  The shave was very close and pretty smooth.

[Image: 0gtDPkE.jpg]This Crown & Sword, though, is my finest edge yet.  It isn't the sharpest and closest edge I've experienced, but the smoothest to come from my own stones and hands.  I spent quite a bit of time on this Coti and although a slow cutter it definitely paid off spending all the time to get a buttery-smooth edge.

136 2,557