01-30-2016, 03:22 PM
User Info
So yesterday I wanted to try this combination for the second time in 2 weeks, just to test it.

Shaved with my new Above The Tie Open Comb H2 (1.st pass) + M2 (2.nd pass) Atlas razor & a new Polsilver DE blade - 2 passes + touch ups.

Started wetting my face wih warm water. Then applied a good amount of the white Proraso Pre Shave cream all over my stubbles and massaged it into my stubbles with the tips of my fingers thoroughly for 2-3 minutes.

Then applied a bit of warm water to the face, which further works the pre shave cream into the stubbles.

Took my 300 ml can of Proraso White shaving foam (yes, canned GOO) and massaged a generous amount into my stubbles, and again used the tips of my fingers to really get it well into the stubbles.

Used 3-4 minutes to massage the shaving foam deep into the beard area, sort of used my fingertips like they were a brush  Wink 

Then started the shave with my DE razor. 

1.st pass with the grain

WHAT THE HE_L - this lather feels slick  Huh Shaving 

Continued.........it feels nice. Am I dreaming........did I sleep while doing this and accidentally used a real shaving soap and a brush Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100 Huh

Continue..........this still feels very nice, what am I doing wrong here, it's canned goo and it's supposed to feel like cra_p, should feel rough and non protective, but it feels very protective, and WoW very nice slickness.....

1.st pass is over - great shave, no nicks, no cuts, no redness, no irritation.

Feel across my cheek, it feels very slick, almost slippery.
Changed the base plate to the M2 on the razor. 
Install the blade. Try to go over the cheek area wihtout any lather, it feels very slick.

Apply a second layer of lather, I apply a little bit of pre shave cream first.

2.nd pass

Going against the grain now. The razor glides, yes there is a blade in it, so how can it feel so comfortable, when I use canned goo  Huh

What the heck am I doing wrong - canned goo should feel like the worst thing, like pure cr_ap

2.nd pass is done, no nicks, no cuts, no irritation.
I apply cold water to my face, I don't really feel the need for an after shave to be honest.

Shave result is not BBS, but DFS most certainly.

What did just happen  Huh

24 5,965
 01-30-2016, 03:26 PM
User Info
If it's crazy and works, then it isn't crazy. Smile

0 638
 01-30-2016, 03:31 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(01-30-2016, 03:26 PM)Blackland Razors Wrote: If it's crazy and works, then it isn't crazy. Smile

Agreed.

102 18,652
 01-30-2016, 03:57 PM
User Info
Claus, I've had fantastic results with SMN canned foam, I can relate to your experience.

95 2,590
 01-30-2016, 04:38 PM
User Info
As long as you get a good lubricant on your face while shaving, you should be able to achieve some good results.
I have heard and seen one or two videos where some older Japanese barbers used only a gel to shave their customers and it seems as though they get good results.

Have fun, Claus. Smile

83 21,077
 01-30-2016, 04:54 PM
User Info
You have take time to make a great pre shave preparation and its for sure help a lot.

For me, the product used is not as important than the time for a great preparation.

Sylvain

27 150
 01-30-2016, 06:15 PM
User Info
Interesting.  The question I have is, what role did massaging the shaving foam on your face with your fingers for 3 to 4 minutes play?  Perhaps that prep is what brought about the good result.

50 6,080
 01-31-2016, 07:04 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(01-30-2016, 03:57 PM)Jmartz Wrote: Claus, I've had fantastic results with SMN canned foam, I can relate to your experience.
Agree with the SMN canned foam. A hidden gem in the wet shaving world. 

Claus my friend.... I think this is a classic example of "it's not the wand...it's the magician". If you have excellent wet shaving skills...you can make almost anything work. Such is the case with our Viking Shaver!

168 1,384
 01-31-2016, 08:38 AM
User Info
I did an experiment about a year ago with Proraso white, Barbasol aloe, and Nivea Sensitive.

I also got very good results, but quickly realized I missed using a brush and that it lacked something (soul?) for me.

I got even better results with Anthony Logistics Gel. I might need to revisit that one.

That really shocked me and led me buy kiels, jack black and zirh. I haven't used those yet.

Prep and skill is definitely a huge factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

192 1,588
 01-31-2016, 08:49 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I am not suprised at all. If something works for you, then it's great and you don't need to feel awkward or embarrassed. Personally, I have to use canned foams and cartridges since I started wet shaving, that means over 2.5 years. I just can't, I have too many shaving products and I enjoy the procedure of making foam with my brush or shaving with a well- made DE razor. There is no reason to go back to these days, but I believe you that your experience was very good!

49 1,996
 02-02-2016, 09:44 PM
User Info
Sometimes it's good to remind ourselves to be objective and use what works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 282