07-15-2012, 11:23 AM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
  • Manchester, New Hampshire
User Info
If anyone can provide the information I'm seeking it would be the BOTOC, please help!

I had a NEW Short Comb and found the shave to be a bit on the harsh side for me personally. I had read the New Long Comb perfomed a bit milder than the short comb. I was up late one night surfing the bay and found a very nice New Long Comb that nobody had bid on and the auction was ending in about 8 minutes, I picked it up for short money to give it a try. The shave is fantastic and it's one of my favorite razors.

Needless to say the short comb got sold and now I'm looking at the IKON OSS because the comb side looks very much like the Long Comb and the prospect of the OSS providing an open comb for my first pass and then a milder straight bar side for subsequent passes is quite intriguing, but $150 is quite a bit to spend to find out I may not like the razor.

So I'm hoping some of you brothers in the BOTOC have experience with the New Long comb and The IKON OSS and could share your opinion regarding how they compare. Believe me, any help/advice is greatly appreciated prior to my spending $150 on a razor I may not like.

For a point of reference, some of my other favorite razors are my EJ DE89 with an IKON Bulldog handle, my 40's style SS and my Feather AS-D1. Also this is all based on using Astra SP's, my go to blade.

Thanks for your help.

0 136
 07-15-2012, 11:37 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The iKon OSS isn't as aggressive as the Long Comb New at all. It's a milder open comb and in combination with the standard comb provides an enjoyable shave. I'd suggest buying a marked one from iKon for $99.

It will have a small blemish on the top that wasn't even noticeable on mine. When I had one, I always went WTG and XTG with the open comb side and went ATG with the standard bar. If you buy it and don't like it, you should have no trouble getting your money back on it on the BST.

116 3,804
 07-15-2012, 05:21 PM
User Info
I do not have the iKon, but most BOTOC members that do report it to be slightly milder than the Long Comb NEW.

Do not give up on the Short Comb yet, as it is a great razor.

5 833
 07-15-2012, 08:12 PM
User Info
Chris, the OSS is a beautiful razor, but i found it milder than the LC New. Good luck.

74 20,788
 07-16-2012, 01:33 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
The OSS is indeed a fine razor and I agree with what has been said with it above. It has what I consider to be the best handle I've ever used.

Another option to try is that of the later British NEW's - the tooth length is in-between a Long Comb and Short Comb NEW and, for me at least, it gives a better shave.

It's available in a variety of 3 piece styles each with a different handle and a 2 piece style (#77/#88), and is a cheaper option than an OSS.

3 piece 7 O'Clock's are the same as the 3 piece Gillettes and perform just as well.

32 638
 07-17-2012, 11:52 AM
User Info
I agree with AJ, the later Ikons are milder than the Gillette News. The only Ikon that is as effective, ( not keen on the term "agressive") as a New is one of the original Ikon Bulldog O/C razors form a couple of years a go. But all the Ikons are great razors, well made and good performers.
You can pick up a re-plated New head on its own for £20.00 + P&P from Dave at restored razors..............I know as I have just ordered one...Biggrin. I needed a spare to go with my new UFO handle that was on the mat waiting for me when I got back from work today.

3 198