02-02-2016, 05:47 AM
User Info
Good morning, Gentlemen.

At long last the hand-tied Manchurian knots have arrived!  The knots are available in three-band 26mm and 30mm sizes* -- both bulb and Fan shapes. 

Through February 28, I'm offering Manchurian brushes in my normal patterns at $120.00 for 26mm and $130.00 for the 30mm knots, in either bulb or fan shapes.  You can view my brush patterns at BradSearsShaveWorks.comBecause all brushes are "made to order," reasonable variations on each pattern are always possible.  Lead times right now are about 7 - 10 days.

Beginning March 1, the prices for brushes with Manchurian knots will go to $135.00 for 26mm brushes and $150.00 for 30mm

These brushes will come with a special Certificate of Authenticity denoting yours as a “First Run” brush!  Our normal one-year warranty will, of course, apply.

And as always, thanks for your consideration!

* Unfortunately the demand for smaller knots was not sufficient to meet the maker’s minimum order quantities; however, I will be happy to place another order if demand warrants.
[Image: Tf1gEzj.jpg]

Special Order "Gonzo/26" with 26mm Manchurian Fan in copper polyester handle.

2 583
 02-02-2016, 05:51 AM
User Info
Wow!

I'm impressed.

7 1,310
 02-02-2016, 06:12 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
That's great Brad! I can imagine that knot in a beehive resin handle.

10 963
 02-10-2016, 08:12 AM
User Info
Good morning, Gentlemen.  The first group of Manchurian brushes shipped yesterday.  Below is the next group due to go out tomorrow morning.  Also available, at $10.00 additional, are four exotic resins like that found on some premium European brushes: Cream Apolina, Tortoiseshell, Briar, and Ebony.  (An S7 in Apolina appears below, photos of others should be available shortly.)

Left to right: Mesquite Beehive, 30mm Fan; S7 Faux Horn, 26mm Fan; S7 Cream Apolina, 30mm Bulb; Gonzo Copper-Bronze, 26mm Fan

[Image: dKLsk9G.jpg]

2 583
 02-10-2016, 09:57 AM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 08:12 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote: Good morning, Gentlemen.  The first group of Manchurian brushes shipped yesterday.  Below is the next group due to go out tomorrow morning.  Also available, at $10.00 additional, are four exotic resins like that found on some premium European brushes: Cream Apolina, Tortoiseshell, Briar, and Ebony.  (An S7 in Apolina appears below, photos of others should be available shortly.)

Left to right: Mesquite Beehive, 30mm Fan; S7 Faux Horn, 26mm Fan; S7 Cream Apolina, 30mm Bulb; Gonzo Copper-Bronze, 26mm Fan

Stunning handles, I love the S7 and the Copper one at the end.  Very very nice brushes.  How are the knots? Do you like them now that you've gotten them in?

1 468
 02-10-2016, 10:22 AM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 09:57 AM)SCShaver Wrote:
(02-10-2016, 08:12 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote: Good morning, Gentlemen.  The first group of Manchurian brushes shipped yesterday.  Below is the next group due to go out tomorrow morning.  Also available, at $10.00 additional, are four exotic resins like that found on some premium European brushes: Cream Apolina, Tortoiseshell, Briar, and Ebony.  (An S7 in Apolina appears below, photos of others should be available shortly.)

Stunning handles, I love the S7 and the Copper one at the end.  Very very nice brushes.  How are the knots? Do you like them now that you've gotten them in?

I'm glad you appreciate my work!  They are virtually identical to the sample we received late last year.  I think they're marvelous knots, if you enjoy a soft knot with medium backbone, I think you'll enjoy them.  If you like a stiffer knot with some scritch like (say) the Shavemac D01, you probably won't like them.  At least one other fellow on this forum was kind enough to serve as a tester.  I'm sending you a PM with his "handle" so you can get a more neutral opinion.

2 583
 02-10-2016, 11:52 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(02-10-2016, 10:22 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote:
(02-10-2016, 09:57 AM)SCShaver Wrote:

I'm glad you appreciate my work!  They are virtually identical to the sample we received late last year.  I think they're marvelous knots, if you enjoy a soft knot with medium backbone, I think you'll enjoy them.  If you like a stiffer knot with some scritch like (say) the Shavemac D01, you probably won't like them.  At least one other fellow on this forum was kind enough to serve as a tester.  I'm sending you a PM with his "handle" so you can get a more neutral opinion.
That's me! Biggrin
Yes, I was one of Brad's testers of the new knots.  I was excited when Brad offered one to me for testing.  

Brad sent me the below for testing, a 26mm 3-band manchurian.  I measured the loft and it was way too high at 58-59mm.  I tried a quick face-lather with some cream and there was just no density to the knot for face-lathering.  Using painting strokes was OK and it felt very lush.
It did look beautiful though.
[Image: W1a9gev.jpg]
[Image: coYXIri.jpg]
OK, so after extensive testing using rubber bands to change the effective loft it looked like 48mm was the sweet spot for me for face-lathering. 50mm if you want a lush soft knot also ideal for bowl lathering. In my opinion, if the loft is any higher then the knot core may lose integrity and it could form a doughnut shape.  Because Brad ordered longer knots to set deeper in the handle, this changes the dynamic of the knot and will result in better density.  If your primary use is for face-lathering, and you want a firm/dense brush, then keep the loft below 50mm and you'll be fine.

This particular knot was amazing (getting hooked tips) so after intense discussion (his communication is excellent) I sent the brush back to Brad and he cut the handle off and reset the same knot in a new handle at a loft of 49mm and it's perfect for me.  
It's not as dense as a Chubby or Epsilon but gives a great face feel with good backbone.  Certainly NOT floppy.
Here's what it looks like now next to a VL Epsilon brush.
[Image: e4gpSh1.jpg]
Hope this helps in your decision.

47 1,901
 02-16-2016, 08:20 AM
User Info
Here are two custom "Manchurians" being shipped this morning. The one on the left is a 30mm Fan set at 52mm loft in a faux briar handle. This is a new design I worked out with the customer, which I'm thinking of calling the "G3." Candidly, this handle is one of the most challenging turnings I've done in years.  What made it "interesting" was getting the central 4mm wide "band" to echo the profile of the ferrule.  It's very subtle, but if you look very closely, you can see that they are very close to a perfect match.

The Beehive on the right is a more traditional beehive shape with a 26mm fan set at 50mm. The handle is interesting because it's made from three pieces: a 5mm "slice" of faux briar between two pieces of faux ivory. Because these were my last pieces of the briar resin (yes, I can--and probably will--order more), I made trial handles out of wood before committing to the VERY expensive resin. Enjoy!

[Image: 5YarqD0.jpg]

2 583
 02-16-2016, 08:47 AM
User Info
gorgeous brushes !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 115
 02-16-2016, 09:41 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Stunning!  I especially like that banded beehive.  I'm getting some ideas for another brush Brad! Wink

47 1,901
 02-19-2016, 04:06 PM
User Info
Good evening, Gentlemen;  Sharing a couple "First Edition" Manchurians to be shipped in the morning: A Beehive/30 in cream alpolina and a G3/30 in faux Tortoiseshell. Both with 30mm knots.

[Image: oPg8HCu.jpg]

[Image: aCQTVMG.jpg]

Have a great evening!

2 583
 02-28-2016, 12:12 PM
User Info
A quick clarification on custom Manchurian brush prices:   While the $120 and $130 prices for 26mm and 30mm knots (respectively) hold through 6:00PM ET (GMT -5), February 29, brushes ordered with what I call "exotic" resin handles:  Cream Alpolina, Faux Briar, Tortoiseshell, and Tigris Perla run $10 additional.  That's because I import these resins from overseas.  As a result, the cost of the rods (and shipping!) is significantly higher than their domestic equivalents.  I simply cannot absorb that extra cost.  However, the uniqueness and quality of this material is superior and, I believe, worth the slight price premium.  For most, this has not been an issue, but since a fellow recently asked the question, I promised to clarify. 

Saying this, the response to these brushes has been overwhelming, for which I thank you.  I know that there are (perhaps) more different shaving brushes available today than at any time in recent memory.  Knowing that, I consider your patronage to be a bond of trust--a trust I take very seriously.  That is one of the reasons each of my brushes carries a one-year written warranty.  That's something that, to my knowledge, no other brush maker offers.  (Although, if someone else does--or is willing to start--know that I welcome it as a way of increasing the level of trust in a highly competitive marketplace!)

I look forward to being of service.

2 583
 03-24-2016, 09:11 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(02-28-2016, 12:12 PM)BSWoodturning Wrote: A quick clarification on custom Manchurian brush prices:   While the $120 and $130 prices for 26mm and 30mm knots (respectively) hold through 6:00PM ET (GMT -5), February 29, brushes ordered with what I call "exotic" resin handles:  Cream Alpolina, Faux Briar, Tortoiseshell, and Tigris Perla run $10 additional.  That's because I import these resins from overseas.  As a result, the cost of the rods (and shipping!) is significantly higher than their domestic equivalents.  I simply cannot absorb that extra cost.  However, the uniqueness and quality of this material is superior and, I believe, worth the slight price premium.  For most, this has not been an issue, but since a fellow recently asked the question, I promised to clarify. 

Saying this, the response to these brushes has been overwhelming, for which I thank you.  I know that there are (perhaps) more different shaving brushes available today than at any time in recent memory.  Knowing that, I consider your patronage to be a bond of trust--a trust I take very seriously.  That is one of the reasons each of my brushes carries a one-year written warranty.  That's something that, to my knowledge, no other brush maker offers.  (Although, if someone else does--or is willing to start--know that I welcome it as a way of increasing the level of trust in a highly competitive marketplace!)

Brad,

Can you tell us about the 2-band Manchurian knot that you used in Erik's new Archduke brush that you made?  How does it compare to the 3-band Manchurian that you carry?  Is this another new product or the same 2-band that you have used in the past?  Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide.

139 2,676
 03-24-2016, 09:40 AM
User Info
I own several of Brad's brushes, both in Silvertip and Manchurian.  The quality of Brad's work is second to none and the quality of hair picked by him is superb.  I just keep coming back for more.

I own a extensive badger brush collection, so I'm very picky when it comes to quality and service.    My endorsement is not given lightly Smile

Brad is awesome to work with and knows how to treat his customers, concurrent and new alike.

Thanks to Brad for providing me with beautiful brushes!

61 3,796
 03-24-2016, 12:06 PM
User Info
(03-24-2016, 09:11 AM)blzrfn Wrote:
(02-28-2016, 12:12 PM)BSWoodturning Wrote: A quick clarification on custom Manchurian brush prices:   While the $120 and $130 prices for 26mm and 30mm knots (respectively) hold through 6:00PM ET (GMT -5), February 29, brushes ordered with what I call "exotic" resin handles:  Cream Alpolina, Faux Briar, Tortoiseshell, and Tigris Perla run $10 additional.  That's because I import these resins from overseas.  As a result, the cost of the rods (and shipping!) is significantly higher than their domestic equivalents.  I simply cannot absorb that extra cost.  However, the uniqueness and quality of this material is superior and, I believe, worth the slight price premium.  For most, this has not been an issue, but since a fellow recently asked the question, I promised to clarify. 

Brad,

Can you tell us about the 2-band Manchurian knot that you used in Erik's new Archduke brush that you made?  How does it compare to the 3-band Manchurian that you carry?  Is this another new product or the same 2-band that you have used in the past?  Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide.

Apologies for the delayed response.  Things have been pretty busy around here with the introduction of the Manchurian knots. 

First, some background: I bought a half-dozen 2-band samples when I placed a large 3-band order back in December just to try them out and get to impressions from the men who've helped with testing over the past year or so.  From those tests, the tips of the 2-band Manchurian are a bit softer than those of the 3-band, but more backbone.

Comparing the 2-band Manchurians to 2-band Finests, the Finests have less backbone and the tips are not as soft. The thing is, as you know, it's all relative.

All that said:  I hope to have 2-bands in stock in 6 - 8 weeks.  I've started a waiting list; so if anyone's interested, please let me know. The prices should be on par with the 3-band Manchurians.

Thanks again for your interest!

2 583
 03-24-2016, 12:14 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(03-24-2016, 12:06 PM)BSWoodturning Wrote:
(03-24-2016, 09:11 AM)blzrfn Wrote:

Brad,

Apologies for the delayed response.  Things have been pretty busy around here with the introduction of the Manchurian knots. 

First, some background: I bought a half-dozen 2-band samples when I placed a large 3-band order back in December just to try them out and get to impressions from the men who've helped with testing over the past year or so.  From those tests, the tips of the 2-band Manchurian are a bit softer than those of the 3-band, but more backbone.

Comparing the 2-band Manchurians to 2-band Finests, the Finests have less backbone and the tips are not as soft. The thing is, as you know, it's all relative.

All that said:  I hope to have 2-bands in stock in 6 - 8 weeks.  I've started a waiting list; so if anyone's interested, please let me know. The prices should be on par with the 3-band Manchurians.

Thanks again for your interest!

Brad, please add me to that list!   Biggrin

139 2,676