02-03-2016, 11:03 AM
User Info
I found a Gillette Slim Adjustable under the sink in my parents' bathroom about a year and a half ago. My father switched to cartridges in the 80's, so he had no problem letting me take it. 

I cleaned it up and had it replated in rhodium (yes, the expensive one)... so I was pretty disappointed when I finally admitted to myself that it really does a poor job shaving my face. I still force myself to use it every Saturday or Sunday--just to do a downward pass on 1. Anything more is like shaving with a carrot peeler. 

I know there are a lot of people that love Slims and even more that love Fatboys. I'm happy for you, but I want to know: is there anyone that doesn't get a good shave from a Slim?

0 8
 02-03-2016, 11:22 AM
User Info
I prefer the Super Adjustable to the Slim. The Slim felt too light in my hand.

38 1,159
 02-03-2016, 12:07 PM
User Info
(02-03-2016, 11:03 AM)SmileyFace Wrote: I cleaned it up and had it replated in rhodium (yes, the expensive one)... so I was pretty disappointed when I finally admitted to myself that it really does a poor job shaving my face. I still force myself to use it every Saturday or Sunday--just to do a downward pass on 1. Anything more is like shaving with a carrot peeler. 

I know there are a lot of people that love Slims and even more that love Fatboys. I'm happy for you, but I want to know: is there anyone that doesn't get a good shave from a Slim?

Strange, I find the Slim a very smooth razor and, at a setting of '1', it should be mild to the point of ineffectiveness.

Q: Did you ever shave with it before the replating? Was it bad then? If so, I'd assume something is misaligned otherwise, I'm thinking that the replater did something wrong in the reassembly. (I'm wondering if they inadvertently "overclocked" it.)

0 25
 02-03-2016, 12:29 PM
User Info
Yeah, slims just don't give me a great shave either. Superspeeds and Fatboys both work better for me. Don't care for the Super Adjustable either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 17
 02-03-2016, 12:41 PM
User Info
You might want to take a look at this video:

0 25
 02-03-2016, 01:00 PM
User Info
Although I like the slim better than the Fat Boy, it is not my razor. Setting one is unusably mild, nine too aggressive, and ideally it falls somewhere between five and six. But if I always use it in that setting, I don't need an adjustable do I?
Having said that: If one is the only usable setting and all else is too aggressive, and you can shave normally with other DE's, I think the "overclock" suggestion is very plausible.

3 98
 02-03-2016, 01:09 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I prefer the longer handle of the "black beauty" but the weight/balance of the slim.  I also use the slim on settings between 4-7 depending on my mood.

47 1,902
 02-03-2016, 01:16 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(02-03-2016, 11:03 AM)84SmileyFace Wrote: I found a Gillette Slim Adjustable under the sink in my parents' bathroom about a year and a half ago. My father switched to cartridges in the 80's, so he had no problem letting me take it. 

I cleaned it up and had it replated in rhodium (yes, the expensive one)... so I was pretty disappointed when I finally admitted to myself that it really does a poor job shaving my face. I still force myself to use it every Saturday or Sunday--just to do a downward pass on 1. Anything more is like shaving with a carrot peeler. 

I have never used a Slim, however I am totally infatuated with the Super Adjustable 84. Those razors look so sexy to me. I've owned two of them. Regardless of the number on which it was set, my first SA84 bit me every time I used it. Every time. So I finally sold it. Then one day I was browsing around the bay and saw another SA84 which set my heart aflutter. Naturally I hit buy now. When it arrived I decided to send it out to Razor Emporium for a replate/repaint. It came out great! BUT - once again, this one bit me on the chin every time, regardless of setting. I wound up PIFing to a friend who LOVES it. He gets incredible shaves with it and thinks it's the absolute greatest razor a man can use. Clearly another case of YMMV.

Like you did, I tried to make the SA84 a "one pass weekend shaver" to no avail. Your analogy to a carrot peeler made me chuckle. Biggrin

4 1,937
 02-03-2016, 01:19 PM
User Info
I don't like any of the Gillette TTOs. I have never gotten a comfortable shave from any of them, for some reason. They just don't work for me. However, I am not concerned in the slightest as I have other razors that shave so much better. Biggrin

82 21,056
 02-03-2016, 01:29 PM
  • P911
  • Brighton, UK
User Info
My '58 executive gives a better shave then my ATT. I prefer my executive & fatboy over the slim purely due to weight, but I get superb shaves from the slim set to '7'.

Futur, '58 Executive, '61 Fatboy, '66 Slim, Simpson, Edwin Jagger & Plisson.

0 18
 02-03-2016, 01:35 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I much prefer modern DE and SE razors to the old Gillettes. I also much prefer two and three piece razors to TTO razors. YMMV

46 18,089
 02-03-2016, 01:49 PM
User Info
(02-03-2016, 01:35 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I much prefer modern DE and SE razors to the old Gillettes. I also much prefer two and three piece razors to TTO razors. YMMV

+1 I've gotten ok shaves with the slim adjustable but only that. Wasn't my favorite. For an adjustable I go to my Merkur Progress. It's my daily driver and even surpasses my Wolfman. Best Gillette TTO I have used was my post war Aristocrat. As good as it was I let it go and now only use 2 and 3 piece razors.

147 3,463
 02-03-2016, 01:51 PM
User Info
The Slim gives me an okay shave, but never a great one. I just keep it around because I like playing with it.

0 612
 02-03-2016, 02:01 PM
User Info
Personally I'll take a merkur progress over any vintage gillette any day of the week.

0 127
 02-03-2016, 02:34 PM
User Info
(02-03-2016, 02:01 PM)John Wayne Wrote: Personally I'll take a merkur progress over any vintage gillette any day of the week.

Signs011

82 21,056
 02-03-2016, 07:32 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(02-03-2016, 01:35 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I much prefer modern DE and SE razors to the old Gillettes. I also much prefer two and three piece razors to TTO razors. YMMV

Phil, being that you have unparalleled access to such a huge selection of modern DEs, which variety/pricepoint do you find yourself reaching for most of the time; stainless or aluminum - low, middle or high end? No names - not trying to put you on the spot or ask for an endorsement, just curious what floats your shave boat.

4 1,937
 02-03-2016, 08:31 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I like the Slim. I have about 10 of them (yes, I know...) and each is a little different. It's like the humble Tech: you can find the elusive beauty that shaves like a dream. I have a couple of Slims that are truly superb, and none of them gives a bad shave.

0 1,733
 02-03-2016, 08:38 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-03-2016, 07:32 PM)chazt Wrote:

Phil, being that you have unparalleled access to such a huge selection of modern DEs, which variety/pricepoint do you find yourself reaching for most of the time; stainless or aluminum - low, middle or high end? No names - not trying to put you on the spot or ask for an endorsement, just curious what floats your shave boat.

My preferences change from time to time. Lately I have had a pretty tight rotation of three Wolfmans, a Merkur Progress, a Balckbird and a Cobra. I also really like the Eclipse Red Ring and need to use it more frequently. Part of this is sort of the kid at Christmas phenomenon...the Wolfmans and Blackbird are new toys so they have been getting heavy use.

46 18,089
 02-04-2016, 03:55 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
I don't like the my razors adjustable. If I'm only using one setting, I don't see why I should go with an adjustable. Also more razors for aggression variety is a cause to grow my collection.

0 1,053
 02-04-2016, 06:14 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I don't really enjoy using my Slim that much.  If using a vintage DE I prefer my Gillette New LC or Super Speed.  If using a modern DE I reach for the Wolfman OC or Ikon OC.

7 1,162