02-04-2016, 06:07 AM
User Info
Anyone have this brush and could compare to the Silvertip with the 50 lofts to the 55 loft?  I found my chubby 2 in best with similar dimensions to the 50mm loft to be a bit of a lather hog.  I like backbone but dont necessarily like a stiff brush.  Just looking for comparisons

87 892
 02-04-2016, 06:08 AM
User Info
In my opinion the epsilon with a 50mm loft was almost unusable. 55mm worked much better for me but it still has tons of backbone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

115 1,005
 02-04-2016, 06:12 AM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 06:08 AM)essrbc11 Wrote: In my opinion the epsilon with a 50mm loft was almost unusable. 55mm worked much better for me but it still has tons of backbone.

Were talking about the Silver Tip right?  Im thinking the 55 will be a better purchase and if I don't like the loft it will give me an excuse to contact Doug Korn and get a beauty custom.

87 892
 02-04-2016, 06:16 AM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 06:12 AM)chromedometone Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 06:08 AM)essrbc11 Wrote: In my opinion the epsilon with a 50mm loft was almost unusable. 55mm worked much better for me but it still has tons of backbone.

Were talking about the Silver Tip right?  Im thinking the 55 will be a better purchase and if I don't like the loft it will give me an excuse to contact Doug Korn and get a beauty custom.

Yep silvertip and contacting Doug is a great option as I should be receiving mine today.

115 1,005
 02-04-2016, 06:49 AM
User Info
Are you, both, referring to the 2-Band or the 3-Band?

82 21,056
 02-04-2016, 07:28 AM
User Info
I only have the 50mm lofted 3-Band Silvertip and it's definitely no lather hog, IMO. Backbone is good but not extreme, although YMMV, obviously. The 55mm will definitely release more lather but I fear at the expense of too much backbone. I'm basing this differential upon the performance difference of the 2-Band in the two lofts available.

31 5,282
 02-04-2016, 07:35 AM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 06:49 AM)celestino Wrote: Are you, both, referring to the 2-Band or the 3-Band?

i believe we are both referrring to the 3 band

87 892
 02-04-2016, 08:43 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have both 2-band and Silvertip Epsilon brushes in the 55mm loft variety and wouldn't want them set any lower.  I am also not a fan of the uber-dense modern Chubby brushes as I feel the density combined with the low loft makes them uncomfortable to use.  This all comes down to personal preference though as there seems to be more fans than not of these super high backbone brushes, I'm just not among them.  I prefer a brush that splays without having to bear down and where the bristles have a chance to maneuver independently rather than acting as one.

139 2,677
 02-04-2016, 11:14 AM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 08:43 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I have both 2-band and Silvertip Epsilon brushes in the 55mm loft variety and wouldn't want them set any lower.  I am also not a fan of the uber-dense modern Chubby brushes as I feel the density combined with the low loft makes them uncomfortable to use.  This all comes down to personal preference though as there seems to be more fans than not of these super high backbone brushes, I'm just not among them.  I prefer a brush that splays without having to bear down and where the bristles have a chance to maneuver independently rather than acting as one.

Hi Dave, I'm considering buying the Silvertip (3 band) Epsilon as my next brush and I'm debating about lofts.  I know its YMMV and all, but can you describe to me the feel of the 55 silvertip?  I guess I'm looking for that nice mop-like feel from a dense enough bulb where it splays enough to work but feels more accurate and controlled than a fan. Right now the brush that gives me the best feel like this is my Paladin PK-47.  

Thanks!

Alex

11 967
 02-04-2016, 11:52 AM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 07:35 AM)chromedometone Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 06:49 AM)celestino Wrote: Are you, both, referring to the 2-Band or the 3-Band?

i believe we are both referrring to the 3 band

Yep 3 band, it's a ymmv thing but the 55 is about perfect for me when we're talking lather release and medium to high backbone.

115 1,005
 02-04-2016, 12:57 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(02-04-2016, 11:14 AM)surfshaver Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 08:43 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I have both 2-band and Silvertip Epsilon brushes in the 55mm loft variety and wouldn't want them set any lower.  I am also not a fan of the uber-dense modern Chubby brushes as I feel the density combined with the low loft makes them uncomfortable to use.  This all comes down to personal preference though as there seems to be more fans than not of these super high backbone brushes, I'm just not among them.  I prefer a brush that splays without having to bear down and where the bristles have a chance to maneuver independently rather than acting as one.

Hi Dave, I'm considering buying the Silvertip (3 band) Epsilon as my next brush and I'm debating about lofts.  I know its YMMV and all, but can you describe to me the feel of the 55 silvertip?  I guess I'm looking for that nice mop-like feel from a dense enough bulb where it splays enough to work but feels more accurate and controlled than a fan. Right now the brush that gives me the best feel like this is my Paladin PK-47.  

Thanks!

Alex

The Epsilon will be much denser than the Paladin, but there is also a vast difference in the thicker two-band hairs of the Paladin and the three-band hairs of the Vie-Long.  The backbone might be similar between the two, I would have to use both back-to-back to really answer that, but the density of the Epsilon will give a more plush feeling on the face and the more hair that is stuffed into the knot will make them less independent of each other, acting more and more like a singular entity rather than thousands of individual components.  The Epsilon silvertip set at 55mm loft is as dense and low lofted as I would want, any lower and I would fear that the brush would be too stiff for my preferences, feeling more like a large cotton swab.

139 2,677
 02-04-2016, 06:50 PM
User Info
I've had the Vie-Long 3-band silvertip (non-Epsilon) in both 55 (closer to 57mm in actuality) and 50mm. I found the face feel better on the 55mm, but it was harder to face lather with as there didnt feel like there was enough backbone, or rather it was a lather hog.

The 50mm is MUCH better in this regard, but it has a bit of prickliness which I'm trying to get through by using it up. My brush has maybe 7-10 lathers on it so not sure how much longer I need to condition it to work the prickliness out of it.

22 653
 02-04-2016, 07:35 PM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 12:57 PM)blzrfn Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 11:14 AM)surfshaver Wrote:

Thanks!

Alex

The Epsilon will be much denser than the Paladin, but there is also a vast difference in the thicker two-band hairs of the Paladin and the three-band hairs of the Vie-Long.  The backbone might be similar between the two, I would have to use both back-to-back to really answer that, but the density of the Epsilon will give a more plush feeling on the face and the more hair that is stuffed into the knot will make them less independent of each other, acting more and more like a singular entity rather than thousands of individual components.  The Epsilon silvertip set at 55mm loft is as dense and low lofted as I would want, any lower and I would fear that the brush would be too stiff for my preferences, feeling more like a large cotton swab.

Thanks for the follow up!  I appreciate it.

11 967
 02-04-2016, 07:36 PM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 06:50 PM)Starkicker Wrote: I've had the Vie-Long 3-band silvertip (non-Epsilon) in both 55 (closer to 57mm in actuality) and 50mm. I found the face feel better on the 55mm, but it was harder to face lather with as there didnt feel like there was enough backbone, or rather it was a lather hog.

The 50mm is MUCH better in this regard, but it has a bit of prickliness which I'm trying to get through by using it up. My brush has maybe 7-10 lathers on it so not sure how much longer I need to condition it to work the prickliness out of it.

Good info!  Thanks for chiming in.

11 967
 02-04-2016, 08:05 PM
User Info
I kind of wish I went with the 55mm two band brush. The 50mm has a ton of backbone, but I think I enjoy more splay and possibly better lather release.

17 315
 02-05-2016, 07:32 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I've used my 3 band, 50mm Epsilon  about 15 times, and the 2 band 55, approximately 9 times in the last month. The knots feel quite different from one another. The bulb of the taller 2 band seems more pronounced and noticeably scrubbier than the shorter 3 band. The 3 band feels like something of a hybrid shape, closer to bulb than fan. My preference is for the feel of the 3 band. It has wonderful backbone with just-right splay, and releases all the lather i need for 3 passes. That said, if G&C ever releases an Epsilon 3 band 50mm in a fan, I'd place an order in a NY minute!

[Image: KcMBGNI.jpg]

4 1,944
 02-06-2016, 09:01 AM
User Info
Charlie, good to hear you are enjoying the brushes.  What is it about the 3-Band brush that you prefer over the 2-Band?
By the way, are New York minutes much faster than in other places?   Biggrin

82 21,056
 02-06-2016, 09:22 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(02-06-2016, 09:01 AM)celestino Wrote: Charlie, good to hear you are enjoying the brushes.  What is it about the 3-Band brush that you prefer over the 2-Band?
By the way, are New York minutes much faster than in other places?   Biggrin

Hi Celestino. The 3 band knot feels more luxurious and plush, more wall of badgerishness (I Love that!). I prefer the shape of the knot - it feels less bulb-like and pointy. Both brushes have just the right amount of scrub. Neither is scritchy. They have spoiled me relative to my Best and Finest knots. I may start selling off my smaller and (relatively) scritchier brushes, and just focus on luxurious walls of badger.

No, we don't have the ability to mess with the space-time continuum (yet), but yes, minutes are faster here. Wink

4 1,944
 02-06-2016, 10:06 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info, Charlie and I guess you, New Yorkers, also, age quicker, then. Biggrin

82 21,056
 02-07-2016, 09:05 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(02-06-2016, 10:06 PM)celestino Wrote: Thanks for the info, Charlie and I guess you, New Yorkers, also, age quicker, then. Biggrin

July, 2007
[Image: S62q1AN.jpg]

Last month
[Image: old_man_finished_by_brunoepeb-d4mi0tg.jpg]

Tongue

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/v...rt=mozilla

4 1,944