02-04-2016, 05:19 PM
User Info
Good evening to you all, I was browsing razors this afternoon, and decided to buy the Satin finished Mongoose. The price was $179.00. Last i remember the price was somewhere between $149.00 and $159.00 with Batch 3. That being said, I am extremely excited to receive this fantastic piece of work, but just wanted to bring the price to the community's attention. As for the Alumigoose 2, it seems the price will come in somewhere around $99.00

-Brenden

0 517
 02-04-2016, 06:06 PM
User Info
Part of the price increase might be because they are using a 3rd party vendor to sell their razors now. Before you could buy them direct.

The vendor's gotta take their cut too...

2 308
 02-04-2016, 06:10 PM
User Info
Who is the vendor?

13 775
 02-04-2016, 06:13 PM
User Info
From their Facebook page:

Greetings All - We are proud to announce our retail relationship with Maggard Razors. Thanks Brad and Casie for working with us to bring the Mongoose to one of the finest online and brick & mortar shave shops we know. 

Currently just the stainless steel model is in stock, but as soon as the AlumiGoose is ready to roll, Maggard Razors will be carrying it as well. From this point forward, all purchase inquiries should be directed to Maggards as we will no longer be selling directly to our customers. We'll still be building the "interest list" for the AlumiGoose until it's in stock..

2 308
 02-04-2016, 06:31 PM
User Info
I think the price Maggard is charging is very fair considering you get a fully machined razor out of stainless steel. I notice Maggard has 34 in stock which is a good start and wish them luck. All the razors at the moment are matte finished because Mongoose doesn't have a shop that can fully polish the finished product. They have gone through (per them) 9 different shops. I guess the polishing is very expensive and time consuming. Maggard is selling most of the blades that fit the Goose but one that everybody over looks which in my opinion is the best is the Kai Sharp Blade which is only for sale on eBay. I have used these blades in the past and they are great.

121 13,114
 02-04-2016, 06:43 PM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 06:31 PM)slantman Wrote: I think the price Maggard is charging is very fair considering you get a fully machined razor out of stainless steel. I notice Maggard has 34 in stock which is a good start and wish them luck. All the razors at the moment are matte finished because Mongoose doesn't have a shop that can fully polish the finished product. They have gone through (per them) 9 different shops. I guess the polishing is very expensive and time consuming. Maggard is selling most of the blades that fit the Goose but one that everybody over looks which in my opinion is the best is the Kai Sharp Blade which is only for sale on eBay. I have used these blades in the past and they are great.

+1, especially on the Kai Sharps - best blade for the Mongoose imho.

53 1,199
 02-04-2016, 06:51 PM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 06:31 PM)slantman Wrote: I think the price Maggard is charging is very fair considering you get a fully machined razor out of stainless steel. I notice Maggard has 34 in stock which is a good start and wish them luck. All the razors at the moment are matte finished because Mongoose doesn't have a shop that can fully polish the finished product. They have gone through (per them) 9 different shops. I guess the polishing is very expensive and time consuming. Maggard is selling most of the blades that fit the Goose but one that everybody over looks which in my opinion is the best is the Kai Sharp Blade which is only for sale on eBay. I have used these blades in the past and they are great.

The razor could definitely be sold for more and stil would be a good value. Just looks lovely through and through, and I cant wait to get my hands on mine.

0 517
 02-04-2016, 07:15 PM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 06:43 PM)david1201 Wrote:

Jerry & David, I really don't need more blades but both of y'all recommending this has my attention. Since I had terrible results with the Kai Titan Milds, could you both compare the Kai Sharps to the Feather Pro & Super? 

Thanks in advance!

31 8,057
 02-04-2016, 07:19 PM
User Info
I should be used to this: a product long sought after finally becomes available, but a decision is made to hold off for something else that's also just recently come on scene. I think holding off on the Goose -- both this one and the aluminum version -- is the right move, but "tough choice" should be my middle name.

29 1,776
 02-04-2016, 07:30 PM
User Info
I just received what must have been one of the last Mongooses sold directly by Mongoose Razors, and it is indeed most impressive. This is the matte finish, or "satin finish" as they call it, model and fit and finish are excellent. I paid $169 including shipping, which I think is a bargain for a high quality all stainless steel hand finished American made razor.  Cool

I like the fact the one can now simply order one and have it shipped immediately.

I have placed a number of orders with Maggard Razors and they are first class all the way, a pleasure to do business with.

I'll be ordering an Alumigoose from them as soon as it becomes available.

--Bob

0 185
 02-05-2016, 04:55 AM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 07:15 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:

Jerry & David, I really don't need more blades but both of y'all recommending this has my attention. Since I had terrible results with the Kai Titan Milds, could you both compare the Kai Sharps to the Feather Pro & Super? 

Thanks in advance!
They have approximately the same width as the Feather Super blades but in my opinion better. Kai makes a very good product. Another overlooked blade are the Dorco SE. Not as good as the Kai or Feathers but they should fit the Goose.

121 13,114
 02-05-2016, 04:58 AM
User Info
I think most of the stainless steel razors (but not all) are going with matte or satin finish as it is much cheaper to machine. And the aluminum razors are a lot easier on the CNC equipment as well.

121 13,114
 02-05-2016, 05:05 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
............i was strongly considering purchasing a Mongoose (or a Hone, or a PILS, or a King Cobra, or a Classic Cobra, etc.....),
.........................but with the Huntley due to come out in a few months....... i think i'll wait....

45 1,066
 02-05-2016, 05:09 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
As much as I enjoy the polished finish it is very hard to keep pristine with daily use. The matte or satin suits me fine. I had considered keeping a polished untouched for SOTD and having a user for actual shavingSmile But thats crazy...right?

59 4,486
 02-05-2016, 05:40 AM
User Info

Thanks in advance!

First off, the Kai Milds are awful!  Kai Originals and the Sharps are a much better blade (I use both), and very similar in how they shave.  I would describe these two blades as being just as sharp as the Feather Pros, but smoother (about like a Feather Pro after 3 or 4 shaves).  They are also comparable to the Feather Pros in aggression, and a bit less aggressive than the Supers (which were too aggressive for my taste).

53 1,199
 02-05-2016, 05:47 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
(02-05-2016, 05:40 AM)david1201 Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 06:43 PM)david1201 Wrote: +1, especially on the Kai Sharps - best blade for the Mongoose imho.

Thanks in advance!

First off, the Kai Milds are awful!  Kai Originals and the Sharps are a much better blade (I use both), and very similar in how they shave.  I would describe these two blades as being just as sharp as the Feather Pros, but smoother (about like a Feather Pro after 3 or 4 shaves).  They are also comparable to the Feather Pros in aggression, and a bit less aggressive than the Supers (which were too aggressive for my taste).

From my experience I would agree with assessment David.  I don't like the Kai Milds but could use them if I had to.  I had exactly the same assessment of the Kai Original and Kai Sharps.  They are smoother on the first shave than the Feather Pro.  For me the Feather Pro seemed to last a little longer.

7 1,222
 02-05-2016, 07:17 AM
User Info
(02-05-2016, 05:09 AM)eengler Wrote: As much as I enjoy the polished finish it is very hard to keep pristine with daily use. The matte or satin suits me fine. I had considered keeping a polished untouched for SOTD and having a user for actual shavingSmile But thats crazy...right?

Thumbup

82 21,077
 02-05-2016, 11:33 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(02-05-2016, 05:09 AM)eengler Wrote: As much as I enjoy the polished finish it is very hard to keep pristine with daily use. The matte or satin suits me fine. I had considered keeping a polished untouched for SOTD and having a user for actual shavingSmile But thats crazy...right?

Razor Emporium has a polishing cloth ($5.00) that works great to polish and remove light/shallow surface blemishes.

51 432
 02-05-2016, 04:44 PM
User Info
I for one am happy to see a high end razor that doesn't involve a mailing list and unknown wait time. Let's get more people in the game!

16 1,027
 02-05-2016, 05:59 PM
User Info
(02-05-2016, 04:44 PM)crazindndude Wrote: I for one am happy to see a high end razor that doesn't involve a mailing list and unknown wait time. Let's get more people in the game!

I will gladly pay a premium for a razor that is much more available than just buying through the manufacturer

0 517