03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
OK...this may date a few of us a bit but, what was your favorite TV show growing up? Let's list two categories -First runs and re-runs.

For me, it was:

First runs: The Bob Newhart Show, Mork & Mindy, The Odd Couple

Re-Runs: Andy Griffith Show, Get Smart, Phil Silvers Show

What makes your list?

45 16,352
 03-07-2012, 01:45 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I loved Mork and Mindy.

Get Smart was also pretty good.

All time favorite show as a kid was; The Wild Wild West.

7 1,018
 03-07-2012, 02:23 PM
User Info
Man, that's tough.

First Run: Dukes of Hazzard, Charlie's Angels, The Muppet Show, Mork & Mindy, Happy Days, Welcome Back Kotter, Thundarr the Barbarian

Reruns: Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, Bewitched, Honeymooners

9 166
 03-07-2012, 02:42 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
First run and rerun: The Twilight Zone

First run: The Carol Burnett Show, The Monkees

Reruns: Mama's Family

There are others from the past but certainly nothing from the current crop of television shows unless it's something like Masterpiece Classic on PBS.

2 11,211
 03-07-2012, 02:55 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Dating ourselves?
The Red Skelton Show when it was live T.V. and a full hour.
The Prisoner with Patrick McGoohan in reruns since my older brother thought it stupid when new.

My EARLIEST T.V. memory was waking up at 1A.M. and watching the original LOST HORIZONS with Ronald Coleman alone in the dark. @ 4 years old and announcing over breakfast I wanted to live in Tibet when I grew up.

2 3,171
 03-07-2012, 04:36 PM
User Info
(03-07-2012, 02:55 PM)kav Wrote: Dating ourselves?
he Red Skelton Show when it was live T.V. and a full hour.
he Prisoner with Patrick McGoohan, the Avengers and the Addams family
moulded my young mind.
Bugs Bunny in the A.M.was SOP

Kinda in line with Deno and Jerry. Now THAT was comedy!

I remember growing up watching the ORIGINAL Startrek. I'd grab a bag of BBQ chips and a 7UP. The neurons and dendrites don't connect as well anymore under that subdura, but I loved that program. I remember every one of the shows. Those that followed after William Shatner... absolutely no interest. A total CF

2 546
 03-07-2012, 05:15 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
After school TV was the The Three Stooges!

45 16,352
 03-07-2012, 05:52 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Sid Caesar TV show called Show Of Shows 1950s

The General with the late Howard Morris

100 12,445
 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM
User Info
my favorite growing up was happy days i can remember all my friends i the neighborhood running home to watch it,
some of my favorite reruns would be,
all in the family,
mash,
barney miller,
hee haw,
and many more to many to list,Idea

0 104
 03-07-2012, 06:40 PM
User Info
First runs:

Mash
Happy Days
Three's Company
Dukes of Hazard
Magnum P.I.
The Waltons
Little House on the Prairie
Gunsmoke
Quincy

Re-runs:

Creature Feature
Gilligans Island
Star Trek (original)
Big Valley
Perry Mason
Twilight Zone
Honey Mooners

0 372
 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM
User Info
As a kid, my favorite cartoon was The Pink Panther, and my favorite show was Get Smart.
Also liked Lost In Space, though it's embarrassing to admit! Wink
As a teenager, I liked Grizzly Adams, The Waltons, and Baa Baa Blacksheep.

0 79
 03-07-2012, 07:07 PM
User Info
I'm pretty young compared to most of you. at the time I was growing up these were considered re-runs, and then a few years ago I acquired every episode, it is even my cell phone ring tone.

[Image: pic_selleck.jpg]

4 309
 03-07-2012, 08:28 PM
User Info
First Runs:
Gunsmoke
Andy Griffith Show
Star Trek - original
Get Smart
Daniel Boone
Bonanza

I don't recall watching reruns. I may have but TV was not a huge part of my average day.

29 1,731
 03-07-2012, 08:35 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I've been lucky in location and family ties and have met many people in the entertainment industry. My grandfather was a master cobbler and carpenter, grandmother a concert violinist doing soundtrack work and teching Jack Benny in the living room . My mom walked to school with Jane Russell and was a distant relative of Kaye Gable, Clark's last wife. My godparents were 'aunt Janie' and Jack Oakie. I was a baby when my folks stopped at a sidewalk restaurant. A very tired and broke man walked up and shared our table and goulash. He held me and sang a hungarian lullaby- Bela Lugosi.
My older brother almost drowned me in a public pool, leaving me with a severe phobia for them since. My grandpa took me to Malibu and a beach house. I was taught to swim in the ocean by a german who competed in the Olympics against Johnny Wiessmuller and fled the Nazis. We stopped by an apartment on Oceanside and pops delivered a pair of shoes to Stan Laurel. Gramps later built 'uncle Clark's' chicken coops in Encino. He had this idea of selling eggs with a crown on egg logo- he was called 'the king of Hollywood' then. I spent the afternoon sitting in his lap. We drove home and said hello to Ronnie in his truck- I think he went into politics.
Later we sat by the road as Roy rode up on Trigger and MR Duncan stopped by with the latest Rinn Tinn Tinn to talk VFW business. Sabu came by too. He built homes after WW2 with my grandfather until his untimely death. We went out to Jungleland to 'sort out' a problem elephant once where I now live.
I later worked for Robert Wagner and Richard Widmark on their ranches and met Tom Selleck and Richard Roundtree through my second job and the local horsetrainers. I was talking with both of them about regrassing their properties after a big fire. I hear the voice of a LADY I helped previously " Oh, hello Thomas, hello Richard. I need Christopher, do you mind?" Both men- big men were STARSTRUCK as Sophia Loren took me in arm asking about her white roses.
These were all fascinating people, most from humble backgrounds .
My alltime fav was Sinatra. I came home on leave for my brother's wedding. We went out on a double date later to Westwood Village near UCLA.
We were in a small eatery/bar and my younger brother pulled his 'front for me, I'm broke' stunt. I'm looking at a tab for $150 and had $300 to last 2weeks. I hear the barkeep say ' oh jeez Fank, I'm out of camels.' I had 2 packs in my 'liberty cuffs' in my donald duck uniform and tossed one without even looking and hear a stangly familiar 'thanks pal!'. I feel a squeeze on my shoulder, look up as Sinatra winked and walked out ot his limo!
I get up to hand over half my leave money. Owner says' Mr Sinatra is covering your tab- and thankyou.'
People call me liar when I tell these stories. I have no photos or autographs.Why bother when you have memories?

2 3,171
 03-08-2012, 06:29 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Wow! And what memories they are. I got to watch my Dad sing a duet with Gene Autry at the Majestic Theater in Dallas in 1952. They both sang on a radio station in OKC back in the 30's.

Favorite TV show growing up would probably be the Lone Ranger, Hop-A-Long Cassidy, Sky King, and Gunsmoke.

Reruns today I enjoy Gunsmoke and the Andy Griffith Show.

173 23,546
 03-09-2012, 08:38 AM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
There's too many! Looking back, I spent too much time in front of the tube Tongue

First runs - Bob Newhart Show, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Cheers.

Re-runs - Gomer Pyle, USMC Biggrin, Gilligan's Island, and definitely the Andy Griffith Show! When I was very young, B&W re-runs of The Mickey Mouse Club! Jimmy!....Annette!....Roy.... Why, because we like you...

Seems so queer now, but at the time I was glued.

15 185
 03-09-2012, 08:53 AM
User Info
In my early childhood in southern California, I used to run home from school each midday to watch a local show on KTTV called "Sheriff John's Lunch Brigade." He began each program entering his office, singing "Laugh and be happy, and the world will laugh with you." He then said the Pledge of Allegiance and read a safety bulletin. He showed cartoons, including Crusader Rabbit and Porky Pig, and was visited by farm animals. An artist, "Sketchbook Suzie", would draw pictures requested by viewers. Sheriff John would give lessons about safety and good health habits. And he had us play a game called "Red Light Green Light" to get us to drink our milk, easy to win and a quick confidence booster. The highlight of the show was the birthday celebration. Sheriff John would read as many as a hundred names, and then bring out a cake and sing the Birthday Party Polka. Not realizing that parents sent in the names and dates for their kids, I was amazed that he always knew whose birthday it was.

184 12,003
 03-09-2012, 10:20 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
We had a TV show like that in Dallas when I was growing up, Mr. Peppermint.

173 23,546
 03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
User Info
My favorite TV show was The Wonderful World of Disney (hey, I was a kid after all). Other shows I liked very much were The Three Stooges, The Monkees and The Wild Wild West.

0 303
 03-17-2012, 04:43 PM
User Info
M*A*S*H, of course
Three Stooges,
Hill Street Blues
Welcome Back, Kotter
Too many to name!! We must be getting old!

75 20,883