07-15-2012, 06:19 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
I just got into Smoking with a Pipe myself, have barely even made a dent in the different types of tobacco out there, have one pipe not even had a cob yet, but i thought i would open a thread if there was anyone else out there so we could share information and preferences, and how you like to use your pipe in your life

Here is my Lorenzetti "Julius Caeser" with some Bringham virginia flake in the dish, and some McClellands bulk 3 cherry loose in the front

[Image: IMG_1120.JPG]

wondering what our members on The Nook use and as always pictures are always welcome

3 748
 07-15-2012, 07:56 PM
User Info
i do not smoke, but those pipes sure look beautiful and almost tempting. Enjoy, James.

75 20,883
 07-15-2012, 08:00 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Thanks Celstino, glad to hear you had a great vacation and made it home okay
if nothing else i may make some great pics for myself here lmao my own personal Pipe of the Day thread even if no one else has anything to share with me people can still enjoy

maybe i can convert some cigerette smokers to something more refined, kind of like getting those who shave with carts into DE shaving

3 748
 07-15-2012, 08:06 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(07-15-2012, 08:00 PM)syngent Wrote: Thanks Celstino, glad to hear you had a great vacation and made it home okay
if nothing else i may make some great pics for myself here lmao my own personal Pipe of the Day thread even if no one else has anything to share with me people can still enjoy

maybe i can convert some cigerette smokers to something more refined, kind of like getting those who shave with carts into DE shaving

That works for me, James. Another non-smoker here but I was struck by the beauty of your pipe and the photograph, as well.

I believe Johnny smokes a pipe and there may be a couple of others, too, so you may yet hear from them. Enjoy.

2 11,211
 07-15-2012, 08:06 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Smile

When I did smoke a pipe, I had two Turkish meerschaum pipes, and a standard *wood*

I always enjoyed *sweeter* leafs (cherry, rum, vanilla)

the last pipe I used was with a friend, he had a very nicely made, but small houka looking thing... he had some great smelling/tasting *cakes* that loaded into the pot...

...my brother on the other hand... well, he enjoys pipes for a whole *different* type of tobacco Wink

9 1,684
 07-15-2012, 08:10 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Beautiful pipe. I once smoked a pipe years ago and really enjoyed it.

100 12,445
 07-15-2012, 08:16 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
well its my first one, lol i learned the hard way you should start with a cheap cob or something as you can see the upper lip to the bowl is a bit chared from imporper lighting, but i like the idea of a journal of sorts as i discover myself something new.... and if there are other members out there would love to hear stories even of their fathers or grandparents

scent is our strongest sense and it can draw up some powerful memories, pipe and cigar tobacco and its sweetness seems to be connected to a lot of grandparents so if you have any memories of that laying around the old noggin seems like a good place to share it as well cause i only have one pipe at the moment lmao make for some boring pictures time after time

and thank you for the kind words gentlemen

3 748
 07-15-2012, 08:22 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I like to enjoy a pipe on occassion, though I do not have mine with me at the moment to help contribute to this thread. My favorite tobacco so far has been McClellends Darkest Caramel. Very wonderful room aroma and a smooth smoker.

35 1,732
 07-15-2012, 08:38 PM
User Info
James, i am sure you are not the only pipe-smoker, here. Keep posting those pictures as i really love pipes and the smell of the burning tobacco.

75 20,883
 07-15-2012, 08:58 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
(07-15-2012, 08:22 PM)Tonality Wrote: I like to enjoy a pipe on occassion, though I do not have mine with me at the moment to help contribute to this thread. My favorite tobacco so far has been McClellends Darkest Caramel. Very wonderful room aroma and a smooth smoker.
well glad to have you aboard, having someone else to share suggestions with is always fun,... and dangerous lol no different then soaps or cream

(07-15-2012, 08:38 PM)celestino Wrote: James, i am sure you are not the only pipe-smoker, here. Keep posting those pictures as i really love pipes and the smell of the burning tobacco.
Im sure im not either Celestino, I just meant even if i were i think it would be worth continuing posting in here, pipes have some great beauty to them like razors, so many shapes, materials, and stains to go around they make great photos, and since i always smoke them when im winding down a day or reflecting they can make for some good stories too, maybe ill copy and paste the one i did the other day in here,....

"the Pipe Walk, a pointless and uninformative review"

Got a leak in the upstairs bathroom leaking down to the drywall bellow, got a friend causing me big grief, and a whole lot of other things going on keeping me up at night. Good grief life can gang up on you at times

Dump out some Brigham 3 cherry onto a sheet of paper, wow this stuff never stops for a moment to amaze at how sweet it is, not for all the time but with the sun just setting, the heat beginning to back off a bit and the air going still its a great time for this, I really love this stuff, pack the first layer into my Lorenzetti, I really nee a time out this thing the whole pipe thing has become a great way to do it too, pack in a second layer and the third grab a cup of silver needle tea and plan on sitting on the back deck for sometime

so much stuff to go over, heads just spinning with crap. Light the pipe amazed at how the cherry pops upon light the first drifts of smoke off the tip always a pleasure to great you my friend, hadnt noticed the little rabbit in the yard until now, just sitting there twitching its nose. Could hear some rocks scattering up the path behind the house, a neighbour walking her dog, there goes the rabbit off in a hurry to get out of dodge

relax into the cheap plastic chair and inhale some tasty tobacco, cant believe thi is my last pinch of this stuff, will have to go back for more tomorrow or monday, ill worry about it later. Man worry so much going on to do that to me already, but at least the flower bed is weed free and looking up to snuff, wonder what other blends the cigar shop has that i will like as much as this stuff the heart of gold was okay, i did like that mark twain when the mood struck me, maybe time for a stroll see whats going on around the path, remember when the train tracks used to bend there way through the trees back here, cant ever remember a train though... path is much easier to walk now that they have removed them, come winter there is no prettier site then fluffy whites slowly coming down over the coverd path over hung by the bare branches of the tree, this time of year at this hour its the sun trying to creep through all the green leaves
about 15 minutes into my pipe up near the park picking up the tobacco scent now blended with the cherry man i love that smell, cant believe the park is empty, right after dinner too, have the whole field to myself, hop on one of the paths into the forrest since the children of the block arnt screaming through it, just me the birdsm some squirrels and my pipe the smoke drifting through the air as aimlessly as i am up the many crossing paths, would love to get lost out here if i didnt know my way around it, remember bringing my dog out this way before she died
Turning back home not really thinking about anything at all, notice im mostly walking with my eyes shut or blankly stairing in any given direction, cant even hear cars passing on the street at the moment, im sure they are there though

coming up the driveway seems i timed it just well, nothing but ash left, clean out and inside to set down the empty tea cup, dont even remember bringing it with me or finishing it, ill brew up another cup. Think im ready to rip out some drywall and patch up some silicone

put a note on fridge get more of the three cherry

3 748
 07-15-2012, 09:36 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Nice one, James! Thumbsup I felt as if I was taking that walk with you.

Of course, you would know I'd pick up on the tea. I haven't had silver needle in a while but honestly don't remember it being a favorite.

2 11,211
 07-16-2012, 04:42 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Was a bit subtle for a pipe stick to oolongs for it from now I think

3 748
 07-16-2012, 12:57 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Some shots out on a walk today

[Image: IMG_1135.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1124.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1144.JPG]

3 748
 07-16-2012, 01:08 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Dug around, here's a pic of my current pipe. French made Jeantet Signature Flamme Select if picked up on ebay is very nice condition. Smokes great and has a very large bowl for a nice long smoke.

[Image: RGkCFl.jpg]

35 1,732
 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Wow that bowl goes on for days, gorgeous wood on it very nice tonality to its grain lol

yes ! i have a partner in crime now !

3 748
 07-16-2012, 01:14 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(07-16-2012, 01:10 PM)syngent Wrote: Wow that bowl goes on for days, gorgeous wood on it very nice tonality to its grain lol

yes ! i have a partner in crime now !

Only somewhat, I won't be able to smoke it again until I'm back in NM.

35 1,732
 07-16-2012, 05:02 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Nice looking pipe there, Anthony. Enjoy. Smile

2 11,211
 07-21-2012, 02:16 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
So i got myself a new pipe today a limited addition that is no longer made but my local B&M still had one kicking around and let me tell you pictures dont do it justice, cause well i dont have a great camera, just a good one lol and im not a great photographer thank goodness for piccasa

Its a Perterson Celtic Series XL02 you can see the beautiful silver trim stamped out with celtic knot designs

[Image: IMG_1162.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1163.JPG]

And my Pipe of The Day shot

[Image: IMG_1172.JPG]

3 748
 07-21-2012, 03:05 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well sir, I am a pipe smoker. I've been smoking a pipe for the past 50-years.

I started out on cobs and Kaywoodies like my Dad use to smoke and Sir Walter Raleigh pipe tobacco.

Over the years I've smoked just about every kind and brand of pipe out there and most of the tobaccos, both mass produced and custom blended.

Five years ago I had over 300 pipes, ten pipe racks/stands, several cabinets custom made for my smoking pleasure. My habit had become an overblown hobby that I simply could no longer afford after retirement, so I sold almost everything I had.

I now have just six pipes. All are billiards made by either Dunhill or Ashton. They are all small pipes, about a Dunhill Goup 2 or small 3 or the Ashton single X. Three have a smooth finish and three have the sandblasted finish.

My tobacco of choice for the past ten years has been good old cheap Prince Albert which I buy from Iwan Ries & Co. in Chicago.

I'm puffing as I type.

173 23,540
 07-21-2012, 03:31 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
I just enjoyed my first pull off my first perterson and it was very pleasant indeed, and wow 300 pipes i dont think ill become that into it lol 3 or 4 pipes i think for some flavour and practical uses, at home in car or at work kind of thing

i only have a few tins myself and some bulk stuff i dont think i need a whole room of tobacco lol but i do like some of the smaller ones i would love a bulldog and on the next pipe purchase i think ill go that route, but i am very happy with what i have for now

glad to know there is three of us now, would love to see a pic of your pipes if its possible and not to much trouble

would love something like this for my next pipe

[Image: 002-029-14454.jpg]

3 748