02-05-2016, 03:24 PM
User Info
Guys I have the S1 and it's fantastic, although like all my other razors, they all only shine after a few days of growth. Anything less than two to three days of waiting gives me irritation.

Any good everyday DE suggestions that is both efficient and smooth?

I have both the Merkur's 34 and 37c, Parker 92r and 24c and ATT S1. 

Hopefully you guys can point me to the right direction. Sensitive skin and a thick growth is really a bad combination.

10 1,129
 02-05-2016, 03:30 PM
User Info
I like my AS-D2. I have sensitive skin and need to shave almost everyday. It is very easy on the skin and gives an easy DFS. Another razor I like is the Aristocrat. Mine is '48 I believe. Same as the Feather, smooth and mild, but also gets rid of the hair.

6 84
 02-05-2016, 03:33 PM
User Info
(02-05-2016, 03:24 PM)1Geralt Wrote: Guys I have the S1 and it's fantastic, although like all my other razors, they all only shine after a few days of growth. Anything less than two to three days of waiting gives me irritation.

Any good everyday DE suggestions that is both efficient and smooth?

I have both the Merkur's 34 and 37c, Parker 92r and 24c and ATT S1. 

Hopefully you guys can point me to the right direction. Sensitive skin and a thick growth is really a bad combination.

You might wanna try a merkur 23C with a Gillette Silver Blue for a smooth, painless & close shave.

0 5
 02-05-2016, 03:39 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
ATT M2. It's just as mild as the 34c, but more efficient

3 533
 02-05-2016, 04:03 PM
User Info
Muhle R89. Works great with Gillette Silver Blue all the way up to Feathers. You can get just a head from Maggard's or a whole razor. Takes ll handles and a heavier handle will make it feel like a different razor. Used mine this morning with a iKon OSS handle and a Feather. BBS and not a touch of irritation.

147 3,461
 02-05-2016, 04:43 PM
User Info
Cheap - Pre-War Gillette Tech
Uncheap - Wolfman SB with standard gap

Have both, use both daily. Very comfortable, and actually I find my Wolfman OC preferable after 2+ days of growth.

15 1,018
 02-05-2016, 04:47 PM
User Info
(02-05-2016, 03:30 PM)chance Wrote: I like my AS-D2.  I have sensitive skin and need to shave almost everyday.  It is very easy on the skin and gives an easy DFS.  

+1  love my Feather AS-D2 

27 229
 02-05-2016, 05:01 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(02-05-2016, 03:30 PM)chance Wrote: I like my AS-D2.  I have sensitive skin and need to shave almost everyday.  It is very easy on the skin and gives an easy DFS.  Another razor I like is the Aristocrat.  Mine is '48 I believe.  Same as the Feather,  smooth and mild, but also gets rid of the hair.
Chance has given you some very good suggestions for an every day razor. You can also try (a little more exotic you'd have to go to ebay) the vintage 1934 aristocrat very smooth open comb and a new jagger 89 any handle you can purchase at any internet store. To give you the best daily shave with very little irritation just pair any of the above mild efficient razors with the polsilver blade, sharp yet very smooth. All this is just my opinion.

50 412
 02-05-2016, 08:34 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
How about a Merkur 37C slant? A nice easy and smooth shaving DE, at least in my book.

Bob

0 1,694
 02-05-2016, 08:49 PM
User Info
^ Hi Bob, already have a 37c slant and I agree it is very good. This slant had started me on my journey of trying out different slants hence I bought the ATT S1 and Shavecraft 102. Though it's quite efficient, I find the Merkur slant to be irritating specially on the neck area. It would certainly cause havoc on my skin if I used it everyday. I got pretty much permanent razor bumps on the right side of my neck.

And awesome suggestions guys. Looks like AS-D2 have been suggested more than once. 

I'm thinking of getting the Mongoose, but this thread made me think, maybe I'm better off with a Feather AS-D2. What do you guys think? Unfortunately I can't get them both at the moment.

I'm also keen on the Merkur 23, Muhle r89 and EJ E89 but I already have the Merkur 34c and Parker 24c, wouldn't it be almost the same? I haven't had the pleasure of trying EJ and Muhle I'd welcome all insights about this.

I also wanted some vintages, I never had any. Although I would prefer to have a NOS for my first one, it just appeals to me more.

10 1,129
 02-05-2016, 10:29 PM
User Info
I would also have to say the Feather AS-D2 if you get irritation with the razors that you already have.
I wouldn't suggest the Mongoose, for now, but possibly, a vintage single-edge razor, at some point to see if these work better for an every-day razor.

You might just want to reduce the number of passes you perform each day to see if the irritation is minimized in this way. The razors you have should provide a comfortable shave on a daily basis. You don't need to get a BBS shave, every day, as a comfortable and acceptable shave is much better, in my opinion.

Good luck.

82 21,056
 02-06-2016, 01:46 AM
  • P911
  • Brighton, UK
User Info
Try cold water. I have Very sensitive skin and have been struggling with irritation and redness after my daily shave until someone suggested using cold water and shaving before my shower. Didn't think it would make a lot of difference TBH but trust me it does. I've used my Atlas R1 with a feather everyday since without irritation.

'58 Executive, '61 Fatboy, '66 Slim, Merkur Futur & Above the Tie Atlas.

0 18
 02-06-2016, 04:38 AM
User Info
I tried a lot of DE's and ended up keeping my R41. The Cobra Classic was to me the SE equivalent. I could get a great shave from either and both were fantastic.

20 164
 02-06-2016, 07:02 AM
User Info
A slim/aristocrat is a great shaver if you are willing to go vintage. 

Else a feather is also a great choice 

On a budget, I think the Ed de98 is a good daily driver as well.

18 642
 02-06-2016, 07:12 AM
User Info
(02-05-2016, 04:43 PM)crazindndude Wrote: Cheap - Pre-War Gillette Tech
Uncheap - Wolfman SB with standard gap

Have both, use both daily. Very comfortable, and actually I find my Wolfman OC preferable after 2+ days of growth.

This. +1.

0 78
 02-06-2016, 07:15 AM
User Info
Ran across the same exact issue as you and I have an office full of razors now. The mildest ones I would start at is a Tech or pre war Tech. I believe I have read where the Tech (non pre war) were a tad milder but don't have one yet. I also have multiple 40's Super Speeds that I use. I am currently trying Schick Type I Injectors to see how those do.

49 356
 02-06-2016, 08:37 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
On a budget  the EJ89 is a great everyday shaver with the right blade 2 pass and clean up I won,t go ATG. I shave daily always wear a tie. Ï finish with a balm to smooth out my skin especially on my neck.

50 412
 02-06-2016, 08:54 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
...........futur is a nice razor.......
........and the bullgooseshaving safety razor gives me a very nice smooth shave...... 
..................... http://bullgooseshaving.com/bullgoose-sr...ety-razor/

43 1,063
 02-06-2016, 09:46 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
My current favorite DE is the iKon Shavecraft 101 with bulldog handle. I find that lately it gives a closer, smoother shave than any Tech or Red Tip in my den.

4 1,922
 02-06-2016, 10:50 AM
User Info
My suggestions:

Pre-war (Triangle Slot) Tech
EJ/Muhle 89

They are both very mild/forgiving yet effective and give great everyday shaves.  

In the same category for me: Wolfman SB, Ikon #102, and Razorock Baby Smooth.  But these are less (or non) obtainable and more expensive.

Don't think the 89 head is the same as the Merkur 34c, it is not.  Edwin Jagger used to have the same head as the Merkur 34 and they upgraded/changed it to the current one. Opinions may differ on this issue, but the current 89 head (or clone available at Maggards for cheap) is universally well regarded.  It's the first DE razor I bought when I started wetshaving and to this day every time I use it, I still think its one of the best I have.

Also, I have found that if you are going for full BBS with three passes and shaving ATG, it is difficult to shave that close every day and not feel some irritation if you have sensitive skin.  I have sensitive skin (and Rosacea, unfortunately -- damn Irish genes!) and a thick beard, and now I do 2 passes WTG/XTG with some ATG for a DFS/BBS.  By sacrificing a little perfect smoothness, I gain total comfort.  

Lastly, I am in the camp of using the sharpest blades.  Feathers are fine in the 89 because it's so forgiving of angles.  So are Gillette Silver Blues, which I find to be smoother on the first shave than other premium blades.  I also like Gillette Platinums.  I throw out blades after 3 uses max.  No point in getting irritated trying to save a few cents.  

Good luck!

11 967