02-05-2016, 06:14 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
Hello,

I'm having trouble with my angle of attack when de shaving. I use to like very mild razors, but I've came to find out there not very efficient for my beard. When I used milder razors I would shave at about 30° angle, with both the top cap and safety bar touching my skin.

Now I use a slim set on 9 for the first pass, the second pass on 7,and the third on 5. My question is when I'm shaving on a more aggressive setting do i only need to use the top cap, and not use the safety bar when using a higher setting on my slim? it seems like when I'm at a higher  setting, and I let both the top cap and safety bar touch my skin while shaving; I feel like the razor is not gliding through the hairs, but scraping skin and hairs causing irratation. Any suggestions?

0 80
 02-05-2016, 08:31 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Just place the top cap flat on your face with the handle parallel to the floor. Then lower the handle till you just feel the blade on your skin. That should be about right for starters. I'll bet it turns out to be a lot less than 30 degrees. Then let the weight of the razor do the work, all you have to do is guide it.

Bob

0 1,694
 02-05-2016, 10:19 PM
User Info
(02-05-2016, 08:31 PM)BobH Wrote: Just place the top cap flat on your face with the handle parallel to the floor. Then lower the handle till you just feel the blade on your skin. That should be about right for starters. I'll bet it turns out to be a lot less than 30 degrees. Then let the weight of the razor do the work, all you have to do is guide it.

Bob

I would follow Bob's advice, here, and you really just need to keep practicing and being a bit more patient. I would suggest to keep using the Slim to refine your technique.
Good luck.

83 21,077
 02-06-2016, 12:19 AM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
Does the safety bar and the top cap need to touch the skin on an aggressive setting? Will that result in scraping?

0 80
 02-06-2016, 03:33 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(02-06-2016, 12:19 AM)Slim Wrote: Does the safety bar and the top cap need to touch the skin on an aggressive setting? Will that result in scraping?

Forget about the safety bar and top cap touching your skin. Just rotate the handle down till you just start to feel the blade on your skin for a starting angle. I don't think those two parts need touch skin even on a mild razor. It is the blade at the right angle for the way the razor is constructed that you have to worry about with any DE/SE or even straight razor. There really is no standard angle.

0 1,694
 02-06-2016, 07:16 AM
User Info
Great advise there. I would add: agressive razors/settings are not for everyone.

8 1,126
 02-06-2016, 07:23 AM
User Info
The cap and bar are guides. If you do it correctly you shouldn't feel the bar. If you do, you're using too much pressure or the angle is off. 

The bar is there for safety and as a back up. Akin to a seat belt, you don't want to 'engage it' all the time. 

Focus on the blade. I know when I first started I equated contact with bar to contact with the blade, but with practice I learned the difference. Try it dry without lather (don't actually shave tho) so you can see contact better.

18 654
 02-06-2016, 09:54 AM
User Info
(02-06-2016, 07:23 AM)GloryUprising Wrote: The cap and bar are guides. If you do it correctly you shouldn't feel the bar. If you do, you're using too much pressure or the angle is off. 

The bar is there for safety and as a back up. Akin to a seat belt, you don't want to 'engage it' all the time. 

Focus on the blade. I know when I first started I equated contact with bar to contact with the blade, but with practice I learned the difference. Try it dry without lather (don't actually shave tho) so you can see contact better.

Good advice!

0 148
 02-06-2016, 11:00 AM
User Info
Glad i came acrossthis thread, ive never changed the setting on my slim between passes (makes sense to do so), and never really thought about changing the angle depending on the setting. Something new to try tomorrow thanks guys!

8 99
 02-06-2016, 01:01 PM
User Info
Forget abou the 30-40-20 degree angle.

I got all confused trying to figure this and that angle out, when I started. It actually overcomplicated things for me back then.

Just place the razor against your skin flat.
Start moving it so the front part with the blade angles towards your skin.

When you feel the blade, stop.

Start using the razor from there.

If too much blade contact, move it a bit up.
If too little blade contact, move it a bit down towards your skin.

24 5,965
 02-06-2016, 07:00 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
(02-06-2016, 11:00 AM)mattbtimeless Wrote: Glad i came acrossthis thread, ive never changed the setting on my slim between passes (makes sense to do so), and never really thought about changing the angle depending on the setting. Something new to try tomorrow thanks guys!

Thats what I love about adjustable razors, I  start with 9, 7, and then 5. Some people prefer using 3 different razors during a shave with three diff brands of blades.

0 80