02-06-2016, 12:11 PM
User Info
Now that the old thread is 60 pages long, should we not start a new one, where we can discuss the new formulas V2 and the new Oliva, which may be coming in several scents now, at least two according to rumors.

I only own CRSW Select soaps in the V1 formula, and I'm the proud owner of 8 of them.

I'm not sure, when I'm buying the V2 formulations and the Oliva, but I'm sure they WILL eventually be a part of my collection at some point here in 2016.

Has anyone tested the same scent in the V1 formula upagasint the V2 formula - and if you do have, what are the benefitsa of V2 over V1 ?
Does the V1 have some benefits, that the V2 lacks ?

24 5,965
 02-06-2016, 12:15 PM
User Info
Good idea! I'm nearly finished with the samples that I've been reviewing for the luxury soaps/creams thread, and will be capping off that process with CRSW (all 3 formulas) and B&M Glissant.

3 1,484
 02-06-2016, 12:56 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I'm curious about v2 also.  I'm waiting for Barbeire Sapone to come back in stock before I order more.
Following with interest...

47 1,924
 02-06-2016, 01:02 PM
User Info
I currently own two of the V2's - Barbiere Sapone and Bergamot & Bay. I had a few V1's but sold/traded them due to their scents not working for me. No issues with V1 performance though. My V2's are keepers, love these two scents. Unfortunately I can't offer much of a comparison since I didn't use the V1's extensively.

40 1,166
 02-06-2016, 02:44 PM
User Info
(02-06-2016, 12:11 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Now that the old thread is 60 pages long, should we not start a new one, where we can discuss the new formulas V2 and the new Oliva, which may be coming in several scents now, at least two according to rumors.

I only own CRSW Select soaps in the V1 formula, and I'm the proud owner of 8 of them.

I'm not sure, when I'm buying the V2 formulations and the Oliva, but I'm sure they WILL eventually be a part of my collection at some point here in 2016.

Has anyone tested the same scent in the V1 formula upagasint the V2 formula - and if you do have, what are the benefitsa of V2 over V1 ?
Does the V1 have some benefits, that the V2 lacks ?

Good idea Claus!

I can lend a hand here as I've now had the chance to enjoy Bergamot & Bay, Puro Fresco and Spiced Amber in both the V1 and V2 formulas. I thought that the Select V1 was already one of the finest soaps available. I didn't think it really needed any improvements but I can understand why CRSW chose to reformulate. I believe it was done mainly to address those that are allergic to almond oil. My guess, as they were refining their new base (V2), they took the opportunity to make a great soap better. In my experience with both the V1 and V2, and this mirrors others opinions I happen to trust, I find that the V2 lathers as easily, creates that rich, dense, protective and shiny lather you get from the V1 but with additional slickness and a better post shave. As for the scents that are available in both, I can detect no change. Very consistent from V1 to V2. I would not expect anything less from CRSW. They figured out how to harness the potential and benefits of olive oil and make a soap that performs beyond expectations and I'm confident that they used this expertise and understanding to improve the Select.

A little about me. I have been wet shaving for nearly my entire adult life, approximately 30 years and almost exclusively using straight razors. My skin is very sensitive and what I consider to be on the dry side. So sensitive in fact that I can only use the softest of 3 band badger brushes and synthetics.  I'm very sensitive to cheaper fragrances and soaps with a high percentage of coconut and palm oil. I have tried 100's of soaps and creams. I consider every soap I have tried from CRSW to be of the highest quality, have not experienced any irritation and rank CRSW in my Top 3 soaps. This is a brand I trust to deliver an exceptional product to my doorstep each and every time. 

In a nutshell, I have found the V2 to perform as good or better than the V1. I'm not privy to the plans of CRSW but if they continue to offer both V1 & V2, I will always opt for the V2.

As for the Oliva? This is the only soap that could convince me not to use Select V2 if only it was offered in more scents. It's that good.

0 112
 02-06-2016, 04:57 PM
User Info
(02-06-2016, 12:15 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote: Good idea! I'm nearly finished with the samples that I've been reviewing for the luxury soaps/creams thread, and will be capping off that process with CRSW (all 3 formulas) and B&M Glissant.

Going out on a limb here, but let me guess. You are finding the V1 to perform much better than V2 because you suspect that CRSW may be planning to abandon the V1. You had some slight irritation and burning sensations due mainly to the "cheap fragrance oils used". While V1 was very easy to lather, V2 takes more effort and produces a thinner, less dense lather, "probably due to no coconut oil" with much less residual slickness. The fragrances are muddled and you are having a hard time detecting any clarity. Not bad, but not the wonderful olfactory experience of others. You could not detect any improvement in the post face feel, between V1 and V2 and if anything, you find the V2 a little "greasy" instead of conditioning.

The Oliva you are finding is good but not great in any one area. Difficult to lather and by the second or third pass disappears quickly from your face. The scent is not offensive to you but not something you will not be able to live without. A so-so vegan soap and a so-so scent.

The B&M Glissant base, now that is a whole nother story. Glorious, from the angels hands to the soap makers tubs and so on and so forth.

Just thought I'd spare ya' the trouble!

p.s. Don't forget to mention you have a "new water softener" so hard water isn't the problem.

0 51
 02-06-2016, 04:58 PM
User Info
(02-06-2016, 04:57 PM)twister Wrote:
(02-06-2016, 12:15 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote: Good idea! I'm nearly finished with the samples that I've been reviewing for the luxury soaps/creams thread, and will be capping off that process with CRSW (all 3 formulas) and B&M Glissant.

Going out on a limb here, but let me guess. You are finding the V1 to perform much better than V2 because you suspect that CRSW may be planning to abandon the V1. You had some slight irritation and burning sensations due mainly to the "cheap fragrance oils used". While V1 was very easy to lather, V2 takes more effort and produces a thinner, less dense lather, "probably due to no coconut oil" with much less residual slickness. The fragrances are muddled and you are having a hard time detecting any clarity. Not bad, but not the wonderful olfactory experience of others. You could not detect any improvement in the post face feel, between V1 and V2 and if anything, you find the V2 a little "greasy" instead of conditioning.

The Oliva you are finding is good but not great in any one area. Difficult to lather and by the second or third pass disappears quickly from your face. The scent is not offensive to you but not something you will not be able to live without. A so-so vegan soap and a so-so scent.

The B&M Glissant base, now that is a whole nother story. Glorious, from the angels hands to the soap makers tubs and so on and so forth.

p.s. Don't forget to mention you have a "new water softener" so hard water isn't the problem.

What the heck is this? lol

Edit: Are you intimating that I have a bias in favor of B&M and to the detriment of CRSW? I've reviewed and discussed plenty of other soaps without issue, but for some reason CRSW is the only one that has produced any controversy. If you want to know what I have to say about the soap, wait for my review. Putting words in my mouth isn't accomplishing anything useful.

3 1,484
 02-06-2016, 06:14 PM
User Info
Moving on Smile

I have Jardine D'Orange v1, and pure fresco v2. I find both easy to create a dense, protective lather and wonderful post-shave feel. I don't actually have a preference between v1/v2 (I have a v1 barbershop en route). I may pick up a matching splash & balm when citrus returns this Spring.

27 1,084
 02-07-2016, 05:29 AM
User Info
(02-06-2016, 12:11 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Now that the old thread is 60 pages long, should we not start a new one, where we can discuss the new formulas V2 and the new Oliva, which may be coming in several scents now, at least two according to rumors.

I'm glad you are enjoying the Select v.1 Claus! I hope to see you try our new Select v.2 and Oliva soon.

(02-06-2016, 01:02 PM)shevek Wrote: I currently own two of the V2's - Barbiere Sapone and Bergamot & Bay. I had a few V1's but sold/traded them due to their scents not working for me. No issues with V1 performance though. My V2's are keepers, love these two scents. Unfortunately I can't offer much of a comparison since I didn't use the V1's extensively.

I am so happy to hear you are loving our new Select v.2! Wishing you many more happy shaves with them.

(02-06-2016, 02:44 PM)JHamel Wrote: Good idea Claus!

I can lend a hand here as I've now had the chance to enjoy Bergamot & Bay, Puro Fresco and Spiced Amber in both the V1 and V2 formulas. I thought that the Select V1 was already one of the finest soaps available. I didn't think it really needed any improvements but I can understand why CRSW chose to reformulate. I believe it was done mainly to address those that are allergic to almond oil. My guess, as they were refining their new base (V2), they took the opportunity to make a great soap better. In my experience with both the V1 and V2, and this mirrors others opinions I happen to trust, I find that the V2 lathers as easily, creates that rich, dense, protective and shiny lather you get from the V1 but with additional slickness and a better post shave. As for the scents that are available in both, I can detect no change. Very consistent from V1 to V2. I would not expect anything less from CRSW. They figured out how to harness the potential and benefits of olive oil and make a soap that performs beyond expectations and I'm confident that they used this expertise and understanding to improve the Select.

A little about me. I have been wet shaving for nearly my entire adult life, approximately 30 years and almost exclusively using straight razors. My skin is very sensitive and what I consider to be on the dry side. So sensitive in fact that I can only use the softest of 3 band badger brushes and synthetics.  I'm very sensitive to cheaper fragrances and soaps with a high percentage of coconut and palm oil. I have tried 100's of soaps and creams. I consider every soap I have tried from CRSW to be of the highest quality, have not experienced any irritation and rank CRSW in my Top 3 soaps. This is a brand I trust to deliver an exceptional product to my doorstep each and every time. 

In a nutshell, I have found the V2 to perform as good or better than the V1. I'm not privy to the plans of CRSW but if they continue to offer both V1 & V2, I will always opt for the V2.

As for the Oliva? This is the only soap that could convince me not to use Select V2 if only it was offered in more scents. It's that good.

Thanks for sharing the love Jerry! We are pleased to have you in the CRSW family.

I'm not sure if you are joking or being serious but I'm sure NeoXerxes will give an honest and unbiased accounting of his personal experience with our soaps.

(02-06-2016, 06:14 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Moving on Smile

I have Jardine D'Orange v1, and pure fresco v2. I find both easy to create a dense, protective lather and wonder post-shave feel. I don't actually have a preference between v1/v2 (I have a v1 barbershop en route). I may pick up a matching splash & balm when citrus returns this Spring.

Awesome Mike, happy shaving!

4 924
 02-07-2016, 08:55 AM
User Info

Going out on a limb here, but let me guess. You are finding the v1 to perform much better than V2 because you suspect that CRSW may be planning to abandon the V1. You had some slight irritation and burning sensations due mainly to the "cheap fragrance oils used". While V1 was very easy to lather, V2 takes more effort and produces a thinner, less dense lather, "probably due to no coconut oil" with much less residual slickness. The fragrances are muddled and you are having a hard time detecting any clarity. Not bad, but not the wonderful olfactory experience of others. You could not detect any improvement in the post face feel, between V1 and V2 and if anything, you find the V2 a little "greasy" instead of conditioning.

Just my two cents here. I have v1 and v2 and find that the v2 is slicker and gives a close shave but the v1 gives a more voluminous and protective lather. The v2 seems , more difficult to lather and no I don't have a water problem. The Glissant to me is a richer more protective lather than v1 or v2. Also, don't have an axe to grind either way but just giving my honest experience.

0 113
 02-07-2016, 09:28 AM
User Info
(02-07-2016, 08:55 AM)sandan Wrote:

Going out on a limb here, but let me guess. You are finding the v1 to perform much better than V2 because you suspect that CRSW may be planning to abandon the V1. You had some slight irritation and burning sensations due mainly to the "cheap fragrance oils used". While V1 was very easy to lather, V2 takes more effort and produces a thinner, less dense lather, "probably due to no coconut oil" with much less residual slickness. The fragrances are muddled and you are having a hard time detecting any clarity. Not bad, but not the wonderful olfactory experience of others. You could not detect any improvement in the post face feel, between V1 and V2 and if anything, you find the V2 a little "greasy" instead of conditioning.

Just my two cents here. I have v1 and v2 and find that the v2 is slicker and gives a close shave but the v1 gives a more voluminous and protective lather. The v2 seems , more difficult to lather and no I don't have a water problem. The Glissant to me is a richer more protective lather than v1 or v2. Also, don't have an axe to grind either way but just giving my honest experience.

So Larry should keep both formulas ?
One may be preferred by straight shavers, the other by DE shavers.

24 5,965
 02-07-2016, 09:44 AM
User Info
From reading the info on V2 it seems like I've seen this before where the cushion is toned down and slickness increased which is a big plus for straight shavers. I need to get my hands on some either way. February is proving to be an expensive month for me.

49 356
 02-07-2016, 09:55 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I have nearly of of Larry's scents in V1, and will not replace them with V2 since they are such high performing soaps. I do find V2 to be a little slicker for straight razor shaving, and have purchased the scents available only to V2. I always use an AS and a balm, and am not as interested in Olivia for it's post shave feel, although I do find it to be a terrific soap. What impresses me about Larry is his quest to create newer and better soaps, which is not the case for many other soaps that I enjoy.

38 5,108
 02-07-2016, 10:12 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(02-07-2016, 09:28 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: So Larry should keep both formulas ?
One may be preferred by straight shavers, the other by DE shavers.

Having used all of the CRSW formulas have no version choice based on the shaver. I do however prefer to lather slightly wetter and thinner when using a straight razor and use a thicker application with SE/DE. I apply that practice to all soaps.

59 4,492
 02-07-2016, 03:06 PM
User Info
(02-07-2016, 08:55 AM)sandan Wrote: Just my two cents here. I have v1 and v2 and find that the v2 is slicker and gives a close shave but the v1 gives a more voluminous and protective lather. The v2 seems , more difficult to lather and no I don't have a water problem. The Glissant to me is a richer more protective lather than v1 or v2. Also, don't have an axe to grind either way but just giving my honest experience.

Thank you Arthur, happy to hear you are loving your new B&M, wishing you many more happy shaves with it!!!

(02-07-2016, 09:44 AM)jhawlz Wrote: From reading the info on V2 it seems like I've seen this before where the cushion is toned down and slickness increased which is a big plus for straight shavers. I need to get my hands on some either way. February is proving to be an expensive month for me.

It does sound like you may need one of your own!

(02-07-2016, 09:55 AM)evnpar Wrote: I have nearly of of Larry's scents in V1, and will not replace them with V2 since they are such high performing soaps. I do find V2 to be a little slicker for straight razor shaving, and have purchased the scents available only to V2. I always use an AS and a balm, and am not as interested in Olivia for it's post shave feel, although I do find it to be a terrific soap. What impresses me about Larry is his quest to create newer and better soaps, which is not the case for many other soaps that I enjoy.

Thank you Richard, very much appreciated!

(02-07-2016, 10:12 AM)eengler Wrote: Having used all of the CRSW formulas have no version choice based on the shaver. I do however prefer to lather slightly wetter and thinner when using a straight razor and use a thicker application with SE/DE. I apply that practice to all soaps.

Sage advice!

4 924
 02-07-2016, 03:36 PM
User Info
While I haven't used the v2 or Oliva yet I have used the Winter LE a few times and love the way it performs.  I will be using the v2 and Oliva this month and will add my experiences to this thread.

21 368
 02-07-2016, 04:38 PM
User Info
I have SELECT soaps in both versions, as well as OLIVA. They are all marvelous, but I think SELECT will still rank above OLIVA for me. Mind you, I want all of them!

I have to say that I find the version 2 SELECT produces richer lather and leaves a wonderful face feel. I got the bergamot and bay in both versions, and I think the fragrance is identical. The effort required to get that extra rich, yogurt thick lather may be slightly more than version 1, but only slightly, and well worth it!

I don't think you can go wrong with anything CRSW -- I make a point to check the website frequently to discover new fragrances and products. I would not like to be without some CRSW soap in my "harem" of shaving soaps -- they're all Rock Stars in my book.

5 395
 02-07-2016, 04:46 PM
User Info
(02-07-2016, 05:29 AM)ColdRiverSoap Wrote:

I'm not sure if you are joking or being serious but I'm sure NeoXerxes will give an honest and unbiased accounting of his personal experience with our soaps.
Thank you Larry. I honestly have no idea where the above comment came from.

3 1,484
 02-07-2016, 04:53 PM
User Info
(02-07-2016, 04:38 PM)opsimath Wrote: I have SELECT soaps in both versions, as well as OLIVA. They are all marvelous, but I think SELECT will still rank above OLIVA for me. Mind you, I want all of them!

I have to say that I find the version 2 SELECT produces richer lather and leaves a wonderful face feel. I got the bergamot and bay in both versions, and I think the fragrance is identical. The effort required to get that extra rich, yogurt thick lather may be slightly more than version 1, but only slightly, and well worth it!

I don't think you can go wrong with anything CRSW -- I make a point to check the website frequently to discover new fragrances and products. I would not like to be without some CRSW soap in my "harem" of shaving soaps -- they're all Rock Stars in my book.

Would you be so kind and tell me, what you personally feel is the benefits in V1 over V2 and vice versa ?

I have only tried V1, and therefore have ZERO knowledge of V2, but I would really appreciate it, if you would outline to things that favour V2 and the things that favour V1.

Soemthing like this is what I have in mind - I also think Larry from CRSW would enjoy reading our opinions, so he can shape his formulas after his clients wishes and needs.

Rating from 1-10

Select V1
Easy of lathering: 9/10
Cushion & Protection: 9/10
Thickness of lather: 9/10
Slickness: 8/10
Overall rating: 9/10

Select V2
Easy of lathering: 7/10
Cushion & Protection: 8/10
Thickness of lather: 7/10
Slickness: 9/10
Overall rating: 8/10

24 5,965
 02-07-2016, 05:00 PM
User Info
I did take my own advice Larry and got what was the last Olivia it showed you had in stock Wink

49 356