02-06-2016, 09:16 PM
User Info
Has anyone used more than one of these? I'm wondering if they are all the same and if not, how they differ?

If it's just a matter of vendor, I can just choose as an add-on to my next order.

6 806
 02-07-2016, 09:09 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I've used Stirling and Razorock. Just placed an order for the Maggard, but from the looks of it, my comment below will hold.

All of this wave of very inexpensive synthetics (also including Shave Revolution, Bufflehead Buddha, Fine Accouterments, CrownKing Suave, and even the Plisson and maybe a few others) are the result of a supplier in China who is offering pre-made knots for a few bucks, in large quantities. I don't mean to imply that because they're inexpensive, they're bad. In fact, I really love them, and have most of them. What they all have in common is that they are all exceptionally soft, and make fantastic lather. As much as I'm a fan of badger brushes, I could admittedly use these synthetic brushes for the rest of my life, happily. (That doesn't mean I will...)

What's interesting is, even though they are all the same fibers, it seems that the knot is available in a couple different sizes, and the choices each vendor has made make each knot unique.

For instance, I have both the Plissoft "Barber" and the Shave Revolution "Evolution." Both have identical handles and knots, but Joe chose to set his knot about 6mm deeper into the handle. That might not sound like much, but the Plissoft is quite a bit scrubbier. Personally, I really love the higher loft of the Evolution, and find myself reaching for that one more. But each brush is a unique tool.

I also have the Stirling Kong and the Bufflehead Buddha. I'm not as sure on this one, but I believe those have the same knot. However, Justin set the Buddha knot very deeply into a "Chubby" style handle, while the Kong is set high into a custom designed "urn" type handle. The result is that the two brushes barely resemble one another. Because of the deep set, the Buddha measures about 30mm x 52mm, while the Kong is closer to 28mm x 60mm. They behave absolutely nothing alike.

So, I could offer you some advice. My question to you is, what is your favorite brush now? Do you like them scrubby? Do you lather in a bowl, your hand, or your face? Do you use soap or cream? Fill in a few of these blanks, and I could probably provide you with some solid direction.

22 835
 02-07-2016, 11:28 AM
User Info
Very useful post, @chamm. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 290
 02-07-2016, 11:47 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
[Image: b61074738dd222aae25b09a4aa338070.jpg]
From left to right:
Shave Revolution "Evolution," RazoRock Plissoft "Barber," Stirling "Kong," and Bufflehead Soaps "Buddha."

Of those, I prefer the Evolution by a wide margin. But that is based on my own preferences. They are all great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 835
 02-07-2016, 02:43 PM
User Info
(02-07-2016, 11:47 AM)chamm Wrote: [Image: b61074738dd222aae25b09a4aa338070.jpg]
From left to right:
Shave Revolution "Evolution," RazoRock Plissoft "Barber," Stirling "Kong," and Bufflehead Soaps "Buddha."

Of those, I prefer the Evolution by a wide margin. But that is based on my own preferences. They are all great.

Thanks Chamm for the informative post. I have the Plissoft and also previously own the Kong. I may need to look at getting the Shave Revolution as it probably mimics the original Plisson brush most with a bigger knot.

Which do you prefer though, these brushes with the Plisson knots or the Muhle 25mm V2?

79 373
 02-07-2016, 06:52 PM
User Info
Great post Craig. I have two brushes now - A Mühle badger in a rose gold handle from AoS that was sold as finest but Mühle's website says is silvertip. The other is a Mühle synthetic travel brush.

I love my badger brush which has some scrub and a nice splay. The travel brush doesn't splay without me having to really press hard, and I think that had to do with the narrow knot and taller loft, than the Mühle synthetics. So I was thinking for the price of these new ones I could just replace the travel synthetic with a full size one.

Based on that, is there a path you recommend? I was thinking I'd get the dimensions of my badger and see which matched up but then realize synthetics work differently enough I better post here.

6 806
 02-08-2016, 03:08 PM
User Info
Interesting post, Craig.  Of the brushes that you've pictured, I only have the Shave Revolution Evolution and agree that it's a terrific knot.  

Interestingly Italian Barber lists the loft for both of the original Plissoft brushes at 57 mm as does Maggard with their 24mm brush.  Shave Revolution lists the Evolution at 58 mm.  Clearly your photo shows a much greater difference than 1 millimeter.

3 460
 02-08-2016, 05:27 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I started out really loving the Mühle STF 2.0 brushes, but I only have one left in my collection, the 23mm. As much as I enjoyed the STF fibres, I really like the "Plisson style" knots. After using them, I found the Mühle too stiff and springy.

I haven't used a Mühle Silvertip (badger) brush. I think the shorter lofts of the RazoRock brushes probably feel closer to most badger brushes I've tried. However, even with badger brushes, I find that I prefer a little higher loft-to-knot size ratio. Consequently, I really like the "Evolution" brush. I have also heard some people criticize the Plisson, because in relation to the smaller knot, it, too has a higher loft. I would describe the knot on the "Evolution" as a larger version of the Plisson.

Regarding the advertised knot sizes, this is something I'm seeing in some of the newer vendors who haven't sold/designed their own brushes before. When you buy, say, a Simpson or Rooney brush, (or any other seasoned maker) the knot is always measured in the finished brush. However, when these knots are purchased pre-made from China, they are sold with un-set dimensions. I can say for sure that both my Plissoft Barber and original both have 52mm lofts. I honestly don't think RazoRock or Bufflehead are trying to be deceitful in how they advertise their brushes, they just aren't following convention. I think Bufflehead actually may have even corrected their listing. After all, it does them no good at all if you order a 57mm brush and get a 52mm one.

22 835
 02-08-2016, 06:02 PM
User Info
My Plissoft Barber has a much shorter loft than the Shave Revolution and for me is a much more efficient and comfortably latherer. I think there's more going on than just a difference in loft but am too lazy to try and figure it out. The PB fit me right away, the SR never did.

29 1,776
 02-08-2016, 06:35 PM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
That knot is easily my favorite.  This thread made me think about the lofts more, so I broke out the calipers.  Mind you, its rough, but in the ball park.  I personally find the Stirling a tad big, but no real complaints.  Maggard's purple 24mm is becoming my new favorite "big" brush.  The custom blue handle with the TGC knot is my everyday brush.

I will second everything Craig has reported.

[Image: 8nB83oO.jpg]
[Image: SkLpEw5.jpg]
[Image: jVPuxeI.jpg]
[Image: XeT4kbX.jpg]
[Image: WBJFqro.jpg]

11 686
 02-08-2016, 06:41 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I have two of the Maggard's brushes on the way tomorrow, and I think I will like them, based on those pictures.

Regarding the Stirling Kong, I love the knot, but I really dislike the ergonomics of the handle. Again, that's my preference, and I dislike many other brushes with that same general handle shape. But if that knot were set into a different handle, I think I'd love it.

22 835
 02-08-2016, 06:56 PM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
The Maggard is exceptional. And at $12, there is no reason for anyone to not try synthetics.  I quite like the Stirling handle, though!  Biggrin

11 686
 02-12-2016, 06:53 PM
User Info
I went for the smaller synthetic from Maggard's today, for only $10. Not because of the $2, but because I love my Muhle silvertip and it's 21mm according to a few stores. Also, synthetics are great for travel so smaller is better there, too.

6 806
 02-13-2016, 03:27 PM
User Info
How does the WD synthetic knot stack to the ones in the OP?

11 435
 02-13-2016, 04:05 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've tried several of these, sold a couple three, two this week I think  With the exception of the CH2, most have felt to me to be very similar.  I've done the Muhles, both generations, Maggard is my latest, Whipped Dog, Razorock, Omega, Plissons in a couple guises.  They all make pretty good lather on me face.  Only one lost hairs at all.  All were priced less than the most basic badger knot.  

My point is that they are pretty much the same.  They dry quick, lather, and are cheap.  That said, they have no personality other than the handles.  Think of the difference between CrapDonalds and the old Burger joint that you once loved .. no soul.  They are all pretty much generic tools.  And at the prices they go for, you can buy a whole sack of them ..

45 492
 02-13-2016, 06:03 PM
User Info
I worry a little that I should have gotten the 24mm knot now, because I thought my travel Muhle STF2 say 19mm but it is 21mm, without the splay of my 21mm badger hair brush. So when trying to upgrade my travel brush I may not have made the right choice. I will follow up next week (Maggard is certainly fast to ship!)

6 806
 02-18-2016, 10:16 PM
User Info
My brush arrived on Tuesday, and I used it for the first time last night. It still doesn't splay as much as I expected, but gosh darn it makes a fantastic lather! I pulled out my DR Harris Arlington for the first time using the brush, and the Maggard 21mm did sublime. The handle isn't much to write home about, but the faux bristles do great. Without a doubt worth the $10 asking.

6 806
 02-19-2016, 04:51 AM
User Info
I have the Stirling brush - one of the early versions - and enjoy it a lot.  The price-point on this brush makes it a great deal.

4 475
 02-19-2016, 08:29 AM
User Info
I have the original Plisson, and it works great but is floppy.  I have the Kong and like Craig, I find the handle unwieldly.  I'm thinking the 24 mm size will be just right for me, now the question is: Shave Evolution, Razorock, or Fine Stout (in decreasing order of loft I think)...

11 972
 02-29-2016, 01:41 PM
User Info
I like the Razorock Synthetic brushes. Soft with backbone, lathers really well and reasonably priced.

0 72