02-07-2016, 04:44 AM
User Info
I picked up this F.Reynolds for just a few dollars because I wanted the scales. But seeing where the crack was I figured I'd have some fun.
I removed the metal behind the crack and blended the line up to the bottom of the shaft. I didn't like the straight line along the bottom so I curved it s bit. I also didn't like the odd hump above the stamp so I softened it too into a smoother line which I continued down to the tail where here too I removed much of the curl as well as thinned it out.

On the blade itself there was no reason to leave remnants of the shoulders so I removed them for a swept blade look. At the tip there was a half hearted attempt at a barbers notch which I removed by simply arching the top of the spine right down to the edge. While I was at it I pushed the hone line up a bit getting a nice thin line. 

I decided not to mirror finish the blade . Instead I did a brushed finish which contrasts as well as sets off the line separating the blade from the polished spine/shaft and tail. One detail I did keep was the taper of the width of the blade from the tip to the heel. 

For the scales I scrounged the cut off pile to find something with interest and matched. I sketched out a design fitting to the new shape and added double stacks at the white wedge end and singles at the hinge end.
It was a nice way to spend a few hours hot rodding a razor back into rotation which not long ago was a trashed vintage razor.
And shave ? Oh my. It outperforms many high dollar pieces and is a pleasure to use.
[Image: GHadKSL.jpg][Image: Vv5eGej.jpg][Image: 7dz8Ggr.jpg][Image: 3swKeml.jpg][Image: XhzrlKQ.jpg][Image: 7voEuRS.jpg][Image: uUWytxR.jpg]

0 777
 02-07-2016, 04:55 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Nice save! That crack looked pretty grim.

61 4,631
 02-07-2016, 05:07 AM
User Info
It looked it but it worked out fine I think. 
Just fixed a CVH cracked in the same spot but did a different repair.

0 777
 02-07-2016, 05:17 AM
User Info
Nice job! Love how it turned out. How did/do you fix the cracks? Never knew you could on a straight.

148 3,601
 02-07-2016, 05:35 AM
User Info
Well , fixing,crack and repair might be words misread in the same sentence. Cracks aren't repaired as you can see in this razor .  They can't be. 
Instead various repairs which entail grinding away material before ( make a shorty) or behind ( as in this razor and the CVH) to reshape it in some fashion are required. 
You end up with shorter cutting edges but still have a fun razor to use .

0 777
 02-07-2016, 05:51 AM
User Info
(02-07-2016, 05:35 AM)mycarver Wrote: Well , fixing,crack and repair might be words misread in the same sentence. Cracks aren't repaired as you can see in this razor .  They can't be. 
Instead various repairs which entail grinding away material before ( make a shorty) or behind ( as in this razor and the CVH) to reshape it in some fashion are required. 
You end up with shorter cutting edges but still have a fun razor to use .

Oh ok. I thought maybe some type of solder or filler was used. Thanks for letting me know.

148 3,601
 02-07-2016, 06:19 AM
  • SciTX
  • Houston, TX Area
User Info
that came out down right sexy....great lines!

0 62
 02-08-2016, 01:08 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
That scales... Fantastic work!

0 1,053
 02-08-2016, 09:00 PM
User Info
Lovely!

83 21,115