02-07-2016, 10:23 AM
User Info
I see that the Simpsons Service thread has been deleted. As Mark has welcomed "gentlemanly" responses, good and bad, I am going to include my experience, as I was attempting to do on the other thread moments ago before I received the message that the thread no longer exists. For the sake of keeping this thread open, please DO NOT resort to name calling or other forms of disparagement.

It bears mentioning that the true measure of customer service is not how fast the businessman picks up the phone to complete a sale, rather how he treats the customer once he's cashed the check.

Last summer I bought several Simpson LE brushes, including the Chubby 2 and Duke 3 in horn, the Polo 10, two other Chubby 2 and a Chubby 3. Prior to this time, I had spent around $1,000 on Simpson brushes. I have been collecting brushes for around two years.

My first problem arose when I received the Duke 3. I took the brush out of the tissue paper, admired it for a moment, sat it down on the shelf, and noticed a distinct wobble. The base of this near $500 brush was uneven. I contacted Mark. He told me to return it and that I would be compensated for shipping with Simpsons products. Some $45 later, the brush was on its way back to the factory. A "one off mistake," I thought to myself. In the mean time, I continued ordering more brushes.

The Duke 3 arrived and was now able to stand on its own without issue. I was pleased. Then the black Chubby 3 arrived at my door. I eventually wanted to own all three Chubbies in black. I was excited. The excitement was short-lived. I immediately unwrapped the brush and was off to the bathroom so I could prepare it for a first bath. I ran the brush under the tap for around ten seconds. I gently shook it dry. I walked over to the cabinet where I store my lavender liquid soap I use to cleanse brushes. It was at this moment that I turned the brush handle slightly in my hand. I felt an odd bump on the handle. I rushed over to my desk lamp to get a closer look.

Upon examination, the brush had a mark that I can only describe as someone having taken a match to the handle and melting a bit of the handle material. I used a little water to see if it would wipe away, but it had no effect. My mind now turned to the fact that I had just wet the brush. I was certain that this would be a problem when it came to an exchange. Moments later I had another realization: why should I even be expected to inspect a $450 shaving brush before I use it? I sat down and fired off another email to Mark. I explained the situation to him fully. He told me he would try to have a new brush made up "quickly," to hold on to the defective brush, and send it back once the new one was on the way. I was pleased with the response.

Several weeks pass and I hear nothing. I contact Mark and this is where his tone begins to change. He tells me that they are in the middle of a busy pre-Christmas production period and that the brush would be sent out by the end of the following week. The next week passes and I hear nothing. In the mean time, I place an order for the ebony swirl Chubby 2. I contact Mark again. Having recently seen offers for "seconds" on the Simpsons twitter page, I floated the idea of a £100 refund and keeping the brush. I am not the type of person who goes around asking for partial refunds on things, but I was coming to the conclusion that this situation might not resolve itself correctly. I was under the impression that Mark was just biding his time and waiting for me to go away on my own. He replied, telling me that the replacement brush will be shipped out with my new order. He proceeds to lecture me on how I am disrupting his busy holiday production schedule just so he can turn a new handle. At this point, my opinion of the company was waning.

Around two weeks later, the package arrives. I was actually on the phone with another SN member and remarked to him that the box looked too small for it to house two brushes. I opened the box and there sat my new Chubby 2 all alone. At this point, I was beyond angry. I sent a message demanding my money back immediately. He responded by complaining that the brush had been wet and was now of no use to them (how a damaged brush should be of use to them in the first place was beyond me). He also questioned me as to whether the brush had come in to contact with soap. In the end, he blamed a member of his staff for not putting the brush in the box along with the other one. Based on my interactions with him, I did not believe this one bit.

After a few more emails, I returned the brush and was refunded the price I paid. The $45 return insured shipping was my own loss. My story is consistent with others in this thread. Mark does not care one bit about what happens to you once he has your money, and it doesn't matter if you spent $200 or $2,000 with his company. I am a 35 year old who has been collecting brushes for two years. Assuming I would continue to buy brushes until I turn 70, how much more would I have spent with Simpsons? $5,000? $25,000? $50,000??? It is unlikely that the next generation of my family will give him any business either. And all over what came down to a £100 refund or a new replacement brush, either of which would have resolved the matter entirely.

Mark is in the business of selling luxury goods and one would think the after service would rise to that standard, but it doesn't. Mark's number one concern is not about the customer. It is about him being right, and I think it is a shame that he is willing to jeopardize the good name of his company for the sake of his ego. He blames mistakes on his staff in an effort to make him look faultless.

I end with a curious fact he conveyed to me in one of the messages of our email exchange. He asserted that he personally inspects all LE brushes that leave the factory and that he has only had two returns in five years. I will let the readers of the thread come to their own conclusions about this statement. Simpsons will never see another dime of my money as long as Mark is the captain of the ship.

Chris

160 1,038
 02-07-2016, 10:30 AM
User Info
Thanks much for your post Chris. It's always important to hear experiences on both ends of the spectrum, and it's even more essential that we are able to share these opinions without censorship. Mark welcomed both positive and negative comments, but beyond that, not being able to share negative comments undermines the very purpose of this forum.

Your particular experience sounds most unfortunate. Sorry to hear that you were unable to have it resolved properly and to your satisfaction.

3 1,484
 02-07-2016, 10:36 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I have always had good luck with Mark honoring the warranty. If the brush is defective out of the box, he replaces it with no questions asked. If the brush has been used, he usually wishes to inspect the brush. In these cases, he still replaces and/or repairs the brush depending on his findings. If it user error/normal wear and tear, the repair is on the customer. If he deems it a manufacturing defect, he replaces or re-knots for free.

This is NOT the case with all brush manufacturers.

46 18,376
 02-07-2016, 10:39 AM
User Info
(02-07-2016, 10:36 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I have always had good luck with Mark honoring the warranty. If the brush is defective out of the box, he replaces it with no questions asked. If the brush has been used, he usually wishes to inspect the brush. In these cases, he still replaces and/or repairs the brush depending on his findings. If it user error/normal wear and tear, the repair is on the customer. If he deems it a manufacturing defect, he replaces or re-knots for free.

Phil,

This is not consistent with my own experience or the experience had by others as posted on the deleted thread. While this would be a good policy to have in place for Simpsons, it should be followed uniformly and the customer should have a hassle-free experience during every stage of the process.

160 1,038
 02-07-2016, 10:41 AM
User Info
(02-07-2016, 10:36 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I have always had good luck with Mark honoring the warranty. If the brush is defective out of the box, he replaces it with no questions asked. If the brush has been used, he usually wishes to inspect the brush. In these cases, he still replaces and/or repairs the brush depending on his findings. If it user error/normal wear and tear, the repair is on the customer. If he deems it a manufacturing defect, he replaces or re-knots for free.

True. I have had great experiences with Mark's communication. He's always responded promptly, politely, and with tons of useful information. On the other hand, I've never had an issue with my brushes that I've needed resolved (they've been pretty solid for me). While I personally have confidence that he'd resolve issues that I did have, it's important to hear alternative experiences where expectations were not at all met.

In my opinion (and Mark & some artisans might agree) it is the negative experiences that are actually the most useful. Unlimited praise is nice to hear, but it's the negative comments that draw attention to what can actually be improved. Since no business or product is perfect, everyone should be more welcoming to negative opinions. They have great practical value.

3 1,484
 02-07-2016, 10:43 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-07-2016, 10:39 AM)nervosa1901 Wrote:

Phil,

This is not consistent with my own experience or the experience had by others as posted on the deleted thread. While this would be a good policy to have in place for Simpsons, it should be followed uniformly and the customer should have a hassle-free experience during every stage of the process.

Yes, I understand. I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience.

46 18,376
 02-07-2016, 11:15 AM
  • MarkW
  • Isle of Man
User Info
The OP's intentions are laudable in regards his request for fellow posters to avoid name calling or any other forms of disparagement, before ironically proceeding to label myself as an egomaniac, of a dishonest disposition & only interested in taking people's money.

Factually all incorrect but for the purposes of the thread let's roll with it. Much of what he has written I disagree with but we are here to take the rough with the smooth, I guess it beats the w****r reference earlier today.

Mark

1 632
 02-07-2016, 11:24 AM
User Info
(02-07-2016, 11:15 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: The OP's intentions are laudable in regards his request for fellow posters to avoid name calling or any other forms of disparagement, before ironically proceeding to label myself as an egomaniac, of a dishonest disposition & only interested in taking people's money.

Factually all incorrect but for the purposes of the thread let's roll with it. Much of what he has written I disagree with but we are here to take the rough with the smooth, I guess it beats the w****r reference earlier today.

Mark

There is not a single fact in my statement that is inaccurate and we both have the emails to prove it. My opinion of you is open to debate, but the timeline and disposition of the matter referenced above is 100% accurate. I formed an incredibly negative opinion of you during the course of our exchange and I have conveyed the conclusions I have drawn about you based on those exchanges. Reading the facts together with your email responses to me would cause a reasonable mind to conclude that my opinions have some merit.

160 1,038
 02-07-2016, 11:35 AM
User Info
It also bears mentioning that if another respected member of the forum went so far as to hurl personal insults, then there just might be some truth to my opinion of how you conduct business....

160 1,038
 02-07-2016, 11:54 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
It would seem DeValera, Scottish expatriate shopkeeper Anne and my English mechanic David ( Surrey on Thames- he suggested the W reference might get your attention) were right. I-WE FINALLY received a  reply of sorts. to sum:You embrace the entymological conceit of 'gentleman' used by Raliegh, Cornwallis et all when those nasty bog Irish, Yankees, Afghans, Zulus et al had the temerity to fight back on our turf on our terms instead of forming squares and volley firing back like true 'gentlemen'. You, or should we use the Imperial 'WE' dismiss complaint without even directly addressing those very grievances. You think  thatcher's T.I.N.A. applies to simpson LTD. Well Mark, there is; It's called the competition.
The field, the day, is your's sir. I will withdraw to the forest behind Pennsylavania rifle snipers. You really won this one.

2 3,171
 02-07-2016, 12:10 PM
User Info
(02-07-2016, 11:15 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: The OP's intentions are laudable in regards his request for fellow posters to avoid name calling or any other forms of disparagement, before ironically proceeding to label myself as an egomaniac, of a dishonest disposition & only interested in taking people's money.

Mark
This "reply" without facts speaks volumes to me.

90 899
 02-07-2016, 12:12 PM
User Info
Gentlemen, my most recent experience dealing with the factory was a negative one, also, to the extent that I no longer buy Simpsons brushes. I side completely with Kav and Nervosa, and laud them for their attempts at leveling the playing field. That's my Super Bowl moment. What's Latin for "let the seller beware"?

29 1,776
 02-07-2016, 12:29 PM
User Info
(02-07-2016, 12:10 PM)chromedometone Wrote:

Mark
This "reply" without facts speaks volumes to me.
Agreed. While I'm not a fan of rude comments such as kav's initial insult, it's important to address the concerns (which again is the purpose and value of hearing negative opinions).

Declaring something factually incorrect without offering to solve the problem isn't helpful. If it were factually incorrect then I'm sure there would be a paper trail to demonstrate this. In the absence of actual engagement, I can see why Chris and kav are so frustrated.

Mark, I appreciate that you are encouraging all opinions to be heard (that truly is classy), but it's also important to see you engage with people who have had negative experiences. Writing them off as people who have fallen through the cracks does not inspire confidence.

3 1,484
 02-07-2016, 12:48 PM
  • MarkW
  • Isle of Man
User Info
Addressing concerns with those who are prepared to act in a dignified & gentlemanly manner is certainly not unreasonable.

When confronted with accusations of being dishonest, an egotist, greedy and labelled a w****r, I'm afraid I draw a line in the sand and move on.

I will not be dragged into some sort of public soap opera where the supposed ill or poorly treated have resorted to name calling.

I am free to discuss any issue someone might have by telephone on +44 1624 676030.

Mark

1 632
 02-07-2016, 12:55 PM
User Info
(02-07-2016, 12:48 PM)Simpson1919 Wrote: Addressing concerns with those who are prepared to act in a dignified & gentlemanly manner is certainly not unreasonable.

When confronted with accusations of being dishonest, an egotist, greedy and labelled a w****r, I'm afraid I draw a line in the sand and move on.

I will not be dragged into some sort of public soap opera where the supposed ill or poorly treated have resorted to name calling.

I am free to discuss any issue someone might have by telephone on +44 1624 676030.

Mark

I didn't call you a name, Mark. I asserted opinions about you drawn from conclusions I reached following exchanges with you. And thanks for qualifying my grievances with you and your company as "alleged." This is exactly the tone you took during our previous exchanges. Why should I expect anything different now?

160 1,038
 02-07-2016, 01:02 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
My 'initial' insult came after 5 emails sent, in a genteel and  financially advantageous to Simpsons LTD offer that were met with utter silence over a period spanning 5 months. I admit to being something of a luddite; but  somehow I managed a reply on my first windows 95 from a New Orleans
fancy girl named Charlene Thibidoux offering her private JPEG photos if I joined her website for $9.99 And, God bless that Cajun Queen she actually delivered and was a real LADY and smart businesswoman. So, I think it reasonable someone or something received those 5 emails at Simpsons LTD.
I have raised this issue everytime these paens to Simpsons are posted. And, everytime I get comments from people who insist the emperor really
does have a magnificient set of new clothes on and please, stop making a fuss because the whole wetshaving world might enter into a death spiral if we hold anyone actually accountable like the banks, car and pharmaceutical companies.

2 3,171
 02-07-2016, 01:12 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
My 'initial' insult came after 5 emails sent, in a genteel and  financially advantageous to Simpsons LTD offer that were met with utter silence over a period spanning 5 months and then years of B.A.U. I admit to being something of a luddite; but  somehow I managed a reply on my first windows 95 from a New Orleans fancy girl named Charlene offering her private JPEG photos if I joined her website for $9.99 And, God bless that Cajun Queen she actually delivered and was a real LADY and smart businesswoman. So, I think it reasonable someone or something received those 5 emails at Simpsons LTD.
I would also observe letting other opinions be heard is hardly classy if one then does a Chesire Cat routine and fades out except for a big S eating grin on their face.

2 3,171
 02-07-2016, 01:19 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I urge everyone here to be civil; thank you.

102 18,652
 02-07-2016, 01:29 PM
User Info
(02-07-2016, 12:48 PM)Simpson1919 Wrote: When confronted with accusations of being dishonest, an egotist, greedy and labelled a w****r, I'm afraid I draw a line in the sand and move on.

But I'm afraid you didn't just draw a line in the sand and move on.  You said they were factually all inaccurate.

90 899
 02-07-2016, 01:32 PM
User Info
While we are on the topic of Simpson customer service, I will share my experience with Mark..

About 3-4 months ago, I commissioned Mark to built a custom Manchurian knot for one of my brushes. I sent the handle over to him, had the job done and the brush promptly came back. Upon using the brush, I realized that the Manchurian hair was too stiff and scrubby for my liking. Not expecting much, I emailed Mark and shared my experience. Guys, please take a look at this response:

[Image: 98b81bc880bbfab61bb293a241d86383.jpg]

I was not sure if this was an offering on Mark's behalf to have the job redone for a fee, so pricing was my next question. Take a look at this:

[Image: 38f9568f586b09639c04e2a45e1f1aca.jpg]

I was literally shocked. I held in my hand what I thought was a very expensive lost cause and here is Mark offering to reknot it, complimentary.

Good luck getting that level of customer service someplace else. I have nothing but respect for Mark and how he deals with customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 284