07-16-2012, 05:08 AM
User Info
I've had this Plisson handle for a while now. It takes Gillette cartridges, but I'm not sure which ones it takes.

My wife was complaining that the razors she uses are crap, and I suggested that she try using this handle, if we can find the blades for it.

I think it takes Sensor cartridges, but I wanted to check and make sure that's what it takes before buying them.

[Image: IMG_20120716_074702.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20120716_074711.jpg]

Also, what's the most economical source for these blades?

Any help you gentlemen can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks.

37 1,731
 07-16-2012, 05:23 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
It looks like a Sensor to me. I'd check at Walmart or Dollar General. I've had great luck using the Atra generics from both places (well Ashley and Andrew have). They're way less expensive than the Gillette Alternatives and seem to work just as well honestly.

116 3,804
 07-16-2012, 05:44 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That is a Gillette Sensor head.

173 23,486
 07-16-2012, 05:52 AM
User Info
Thanks, Johnny and Dave.

I'll look for some of those cartridges. I used the Sensor many, many years ago and I remember liking it.

37 1,731
 07-16-2012, 06:17 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The Sensor was my first "real" razor. I had used Bic Disposables and bought one with my own money. It's really the only cartridge based Gillette I liked (till I tried an Atra).

116 3,804
 07-16-2012, 09:05 AM
User Info
It'll take a Sensor / Sensor Excel / Sensor 3 - all cartridges will fit on that mount.

The Sensor have two blades, and was the first Gillette cartridge with spring loaded blades.
The Sensor Excel adds a strip of "mikrofins", which was supposed to raise the whiskers.
The Sensor 3 adds a third blade.

A Sensor Razor - given out in boot camp as a promotion from Gillette - is the only cartridge razor I've owned. I seem to recall that I got the best shaves with the 'pure' Sensor cartridge - the one with just two blades - but memory may be playing me a trick.

Rock solid handle though - the Better Half inherited it and uses it on her legs, claiming that it is head and shoulders above past and current Lady Shaves from Gillette. She Started using it before I gave up on it too, we just had two active cartridges at any given time Tongue

3 3,550
 07-16-2012, 09:49 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I don't think its a Sensor handle. On the Plisson Joris website they seem to show only Mach3 or Fusion handles. Its doesn't seem to match up to a Mach3 so I will guess and say Fusion.

100 12,436
 07-16-2012, 10:42 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Yes, Sensor head. The blades are still widely available and you can buy in bulk at the large stores....BJ's, Costco type places. Well respected cartridge.

42 1,041
 07-16-2012, 10:45 AM
User Info
(07-16-2012, 09:49 AM)slantman Wrote: I don't think its a Sensor handle. On the Plisson Joris website they seem to show only Mach3 or Fusion handles. Its doesn't seem to match up to a Mach3 so I will guess and say Fusion.

I'm afraid I must disagree with you - unless Gillette used the same mounting mechanism for the Fusion and Sensor, that handle is definitely meant for a sensor cartridge. The mounting mechanism of Yohann's razor looks just like my old Sensor, which I pulled out of the bathroom and snapped a few shots of just now.

This is the Gillette Sensor I was given as a promotion back in '93:

This is a closeup of the head with the cartridge attached:

Without cartridge:

Without cartridge, from the underside:

And because I like snapping photos, the business end of the cartridge:

And the mounting points on the back of the cartridge:

3 3,550
 07-16-2012, 10:54 AM
User Info
That's pretty conclusive, Hans.

I'll tell her to look for some generic Sensor blades.

37 1,731
 07-16-2012, 12:42 PM
User Info
Just happy to help Smile She'll probably enjoy it; as mentioned my Better Half much prefers it to all and any Lady's Razors she have tried. My Better Half also finds the two bladed cartridges to give a better shave than the three bladed ones.

I keep trying to get her to try shaving her legs with a DE, but she's afraid it'll slide sideways when she's doing the bits that are hard to see.

3 3,550
 07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(07-16-2012, 10:45 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(07-16-2012, 09:49 AM)slantman Wrote: I don't think its a Sensor handle. On the Plisson Joris website they seem to show only Mach3 or Fusion handles. Its doesn't seem to match up to a Mach3 so I will guess and say Fusion.

I'm afraid I must disagree with you - unless Gillette used the same mounting mechanism for the Fusion and Sensor, that handle is definitely meant for a sensor cartridge. The mounting mechanism of Yohann's razor looks just like my old Sensor, which I pulled out of the bathroom and snapped a few shots of just now.

This is the Gillette Sensor I was given as a promotion back in '93:

This is a closeup of the head with the cartridge attached:

Without cartridge:

Without cartridge, from the underside:

And because I like snapping photos, the business end of the cartridge:

And the mounting points on the back of the cartridge:

Thank you for clearly that up Sensor it is.

100 12,436