02-08-2016, 07:42 AM
User Info
I am sure most of have done this, I know that I have.  I have purchased numerous products, and for whatever reason, I didn't care for them the first time around and passed them along, but found myself buying them again and now find that I really love them.  I am interested to know what products you've given a second chance.  
The products I am really glad I gave a second chance:
  • UFO TiTan handles.  I sold/traded two and then last October saw that Rafael was taking new orders and snapped up a regular and a long.  They are wonderful handles.
  • Cade soap.  I didn't really care for the lather a few years ago when I first tried it, then about 4 months ago purchased a new puck and have really been enjoying it.
  • Merkur Futur. It was just too aggressive for me and always gave me razor burn so I sold mine about 2 years ago.  Purchased another about 6 months ago, and it turns out it was all my fault.  My technique has improved immensely.
  • MWF.  Got tired of the scent, but it is excellent stuff.

75 2,318
 02-08-2016, 08:23 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Kai DE blades. I am not sure if they improved the blades or my preferences changed. They are now among my favorite DE blades.

46 18,607
 02-08-2016, 08:56 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It would have to be Arko for me.  It is now one of my favorite shaving soaps.

179 23,925
 02-08-2016, 09:18 AM
User Info
Astras, Gillette Super Platinum, and Derby blades. Hated all three when I tried them on my initial go round, really like them all now for specific razors.

5 49
 02-08-2016, 09:18 AM
User Info
Personna Lab Blues! They are not my favorite even now. However, I revisited them, and thought enough of them afterwards, to have bought a few of them. I am talking about the blue wrapped ones of course. I couldn't get a acceptable shave from the new LB offerings to save my life. JMO, though.

6 95
 02-08-2016, 09:25 AM
User Info
C&E West Indian Lime cream & Feather blades.

I've gotten rid of a number of other things not due to being tired of them, but just wanting to try more stuff. It was only items I knew I could easily obtain again should I choose.

148 3,592
 02-08-2016, 10:36 AM
User Info
DE razors. Sold my entire collection in 2014/2015, 50+ new razors. Missed them, so now use them for 2.nd and 3.rd pass for most shaves, Fusion for 1.st pass.

24 6,018
 02-08-2016, 10:40 AM
User Info
Mitchell Wool Fat shaving soap.
Couldn't lather it in 2013.

Now in 2016, with extra experience, I lather it perfect each and every time.

Just load the heck out of it, works every time.

Great shaving soap

24 6,018
 02-08-2016, 10:47 AM
User Info
Gillette Tech. Had to press real hard to make it work so got irritation and lots of missed spots. 
Now, with the right technique and blade, pretty enjoyable razor.

8 1,209
 02-08-2016, 11:01 AM
User Info
Super Speeds. They were way to mild for me and I could not appreciate their efficiency. While it is not a daily driver as I tend towards straights, I do appreciate them for that they can do if in a hurry and need DFS as quick and painless as possible.

6 52
 02-08-2016, 11:21 AM
User Info
I cannot think of anything, except a few M&F brushes. Shy

83 21,109
 02-08-2016, 11:33 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Wonderful Topic:

Czech & Speake OC soap. 

Took a sample I was gifted on a business trip a few years back but never took/had the time to discover the golden nugget in my hand. Arrived Sat. and it may supplant Haslinger as No. 1. Phenomenal performance combined with what might be the finest scent in shavedom. 

34C/Weber Heads. 

Revisited my Weber & 34C. Wonderful head designs that when combined with a great quality blade shaves as well as any stainless de's made today.

42 1,041
 02-08-2016, 12:14 PM
User Info
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (the Greens) for me.  Tried one early in my Wet Shaving career and didn't see anything to recommend them.  Revisited in the last couple months and -in my Muhle R106 they work like magic!  Sharp enough to easily cut through any growth, but smooth enough to get that "Cant-get-hurt" feeling.  Love them!

1 27
 02-08-2016, 12:18 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-08-2016, 07:42 AM)merkur man Wrote: I am interested to know what products you've given a second chance. 

iKon DLC Open Comb Deluxe baseplate (used in a Feather AS-D2)

When I first used it in the Feather, I was timid, worried about nicks, and ended up with unsatisfactory shaves.  It was much more satisfactory in its second coming (but I still prefer the Feather SB baseplate).

1 1,109
 02-08-2016, 12:55 PM
User Info
The Mongoose B-3 (in polished stainless).   On first use, I was convinced that it was too mild with a Feather Pro and too aggressive with the Pro Super.   Put it away for a while, and then used it -- for an extended period (six weeks) with the Feather Pro.  It has performed superbly.

And this brings up the subject of the thread: second chances.  An excellent thread.  I may want to start a similar thread -- when I get the time -- on how long it takes to give a razor or blade (or brush or cream) a real trial.  Maybe something on the order of Shave of the Month.

Stanley

2 155
 02-08-2016, 01:19 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-08-2016, 08:56 AM)Johnny Wrote: It would have to be Arko for me.  It is now one of my favorite shaving soaps.

We may need to organize an intervention. Tongue

46 18,607
 02-08-2016, 01:47 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Most of the time when I get rid of a product and repurchase it, I end up agreeing with my first impression and get rid of it a second time. I didn't care for the Mongoose, or it didn't care for me, the first time I tried it, but with all the praise about it, purchased it a second time with the same results. I generally don't get rid of soaps until they've had at least two or three go arounds, and then tend to toss them rather than sell them. However, as I've improved my lather building skills, some soaps that I felt were average performers are now performing very well or even outstanding for me. I did sell both pucks of Czech & Speake. I later found a puck of Valobra tucked away my seldom used bin, and for some reason it just exploded with a wonderful lather for me. I quickly re-ordered Czech & Speake, as I loved their scents, and they are now my favorite and best performing soaps. I had always loved many of the scents of Mystic Water soaps, but generally found them to be average performers. I now find MW to produce an excellent lather, and am back to enjoying Michelle's wonderful scents.

38 5,196
 02-08-2016, 02:08 PM
User Info
Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. When I first used it, I thought it smelled like ham. As many aftershaves seem to irritate my allergies, I came back to it. I don't seem to mind it as much now. Perhaps I can now smell the other ingredients... Or maybe I realized I like ham. Smile

0 1,097
 02-08-2016, 02:18 PM
User Info
MWF: I thought that the lanolin irritated my skin...wrong, it was technique. (Who'd have thought  Wink )
AOS Tallow: Had a puck of the Sandalwood, compared it to Ben Nye greasepaint, trashed it...picked up an unscented and it now belongs to the best soaps I use.

39 3,948
 02-08-2016, 02:28 PM
User Info
Faux Horn Thater 4292/4 2-band Fan. Sold it because I thought it was a lather hog. I had very noob-ish lathering skills at the time and it didn't occur to me to USE MORE SOAP. As time passed, I thought about how much I liked the the look of that old brush, and eventually I bought it again. AND sold it again..... just not enough backbone for my liking. So sad..... But wait! I bought it again, but this time in the bulb shape. And........exchanged it! Didn't like how they changed the coloring of the Faux horn to a darker shade. The vendor's pictures did not indicate that the look of the brush had changed. So the exchange was for the 4292/4 Faux Ivory 2-band Bulb, and I love it. Used it more than any other brush in 2015. So that's the end of that story. 

But...is it? NO. 

This year I purchased the equivalent of the original brush, but this time from Shavemac. A Faux Horn 2-band Silvertip Fan with a similar handle to the Thater 4292. However, with a lower loft vs the Thater. And the Shavemac 2-band seems to have higher density as well. So just like the original brush but with the backbone that I like. Perfect.

40 1,196