02-08-2016, 08:09 AM
User Info
I have a heavy beard.  I have been going ATG since I started wet shaving some time.  Especially in the winter, when I don't have any good color from the sun, my growth is dark enough that even after a 4 pass shave ATG with an aggressive razor that leaves my skin feeling BBS, its almost like you can still see my shadow.  

So yesterday, I decided why go ATG?  I did 3 WTG passes.  Though it did not feel the same, it looked about the same.  
This morning, I also did 3 passes, one was a quasi-XTG.  Close to the same results as yesterday but a little closer.  Still looks the same.  Im thinking if looks wise there is not much difference, why even bother ATG and the irritation that can be associated with it.  
Prior to wet shaving, using a Fusion I would only do 1 pass WTG.  I cannot imagine the results -- looks wise-- are much different than that.  Probably a bit closer, but I would have to do side by side comparison to confirm that.

Anyone else in my situation just simply skipped the ATG?

90 899
 02-08-2016, 08:15 AM
User Info
ATG is the pass I almost never skip. Sometimes I skip the WTG pass and just do a XTG pass followed by an ATG pass and call it good.
For me the ATG pass is what makes things nice and smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 2,272
 02-08-2016, 08:15 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I always skip the ATG and I also have a thick beard. Two WTG passes and I'm ok. I am not looking for a perfect BBS, but with good technique and two WTG passes you get a great DFS. I always enjoy my shaves that way. Usually I shave 4-5 times a week.

49 1,996
 02-08-2016, 08:20 AM
User Info
(02-08-2016, 08:15 AM)merkur man Wrote: ATG is the pass I almost never skip. Sometimes I skip the WTG pass and just do a XTG pass followed by an ATG pass and call it good.
For me the ATG pass is what makes things nice and smooth.

Same here!

3 1,484
 02-08-2016, 09:13 AM
User Info
I have a thick beard and sensitive skin, so I skip the ATG pass ever since I left cartridges behind. Just irritates my skin too much, and I'm going to be stubbly again in 5 or 6 hours anyway. So, it's not worth it for me.

5 49
 02-08-2016, 10:07 AM
User Info
I never skip the ATG.  If I don't do it I cannot get a satisfactory shave.  Right now I always skip the XTG pass.  I do one WTG followed by 2 ATG passes and get great irritation free shaves now.  The XTG pass was the one that was causing me lots of headaches.

0 9
 02-08-2016, 10:10 AM
User Info
I will sometimes do just WTG and XTG. Especially during the winter I've found that ATG can be a pain when my skin is already dry from being exposed to hot, dry air all the time.

33 508
 02-08-2016, 10:28 AM
User Info
No rules that says how many passes you have to take. If ATG is irritating your face, reduce the amount of days you chase BBS. If you shave everyday, just hit a WTG, and XTG pass, and call it a day. Then, on weekends, or special occasions. chase the BBS shave. That way your not so taxing on your face. That's just my suggestion.

6 95
 02-08-2016, 10:37 AM
User Info
There is some including myself, that have great luck with going against the grain first pass. This works best if I have 3-4 days growth. I can do this with the intention on getting most of the beard off on the first pass and I can choose to do a with or across the grain as a second finishing pass with excellent results. I do get nicks on the first pass but the real winner is my skin! I can really avoid the razor burn from doing a 3-4 pass shave.

You are saying skip the across the grain pass, correct?

79 1,338
 02-08-2016, 10:41 AM
User Info
I never go ATG on the face.  Too painful.  I only go ATG on my head every once in a great while for special occasions.  There is no visible difference for me, but there is a huge comfort difference.

1 297
 02-08-2016, 10:49 AM
User Info
IMO, the ATG pass makes the difference between an OK and great shave.

8 1,126
 02-08-2016, 11:07 AM
User Info
ATG is dependent on what kind of shave I need. Everyday shaves tend to be WTG + XTG. If I have a formal thing I have to do or client meetings where it will matter then I throw in an ATG just to make absolute sure.

6 52
 02-08-2016, 11:57 AM
User Info
Always go against the grain and shave twice a day most days, rarely have any irritation. Must be one of the lucky ones.

1 98
 02-08-2016, 12:16 PM
User Info
I've always done 3 passes even though I have very course hair and sensitive skin. The only time I ever skip ATG is if I have a cut or a bump I'm trying to avoid slicing up. What has really been helping me lately has been the application of a preshave oil...this is new for me and I've definitely noted an improvement in glide and post-shave skin comfort.

0 650
 02-08-2016, 12:47 PM
User Info
I've recently come around to the fact that I can skip the ATG pass and the sky doesn't fall!  In all actuality, I don't know that anyone could visually tell any difference anyhow. For me, ATG is simply for the hour or two after the shave when I can run my hand over my face and say "Damn! Nice Work!"

1 27
 02-08-2016, 01:01 PM
User Info
I'm thinking of starting to skip the ATG and shave more often instead of every 2-3 days and doing 3 passes with cleanup.

I have a trifecta of conditions that can lead to irritating shaves if I'm not careful: coarse beard, sensitive skin and crazy beard directional growth.

I hate the feeling of left over stubble on my neck but I hate irritation even more

17 315
 02-08-2016, 01:01 PM
User Info
(02-08-2016, 11:57 AM)Rickenbacker Wrote: Always go against the grain and shave twice a day most days, rarely have any irritation. Must be one of the lucky ones.

Lucky indeed.I surmise that would be a recipe for disaster for even the most leathery of us.

90 899
 02-08-2016, 01:06 PM
User Info
(02-08-2016, 01:01 PM)JLB2287 Wrote: I'm thinking of starting to skip the ATG and shave more often instead of every 2-3 days and doing 3 passes with cleanup.

I have a trifecta of conditions that can lead to irritating shaves if I'm not careful: coarse beard, sensitive skin and crazy beard directional growth.

I hate the feeling of left over stubble on my neck but I hate irritation even more

Your a candidate for against the grain first pass. It may work for your skin and beard.

79 1,338
 02-08-2016, 01:13 PM
User Info
(02-08-2016, 10:37 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: There is some including myself, that have great luck with going against the grain first pass. This works best if I have 3-4 days growth. I can do this with the intention on getting most of the beard off on the first pass and I can choose to do a with or across the grain as a second finishing pass with excellent results. I do get nicks on the first pass but the real winner is my skin! I can really avoid the razor burn from doing a 3-4 pass shave.

You are saying skip the across the grain pass, correct?

No i am talking about skpping the against the grain pass.  Unfortunately I cannot go 3 days without shaving, unless your are talking Saturday morning and Sunday morning.  Other than that, I have to be clean shaven for work.  
That said, maybe I will try going against the grain on the first pass and what happens.

90 899
 02-08-2016, 01:31 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I never try for a BBS shave, which usually means an ATG pass. With my sharpest straights, generally my three kamisori razors, I actually approach a BBS shave after my first WTG pass, and am probably 98% there after a second XTG pass. I would rather look good and feel no irritation, than to achieve a BBS shave and feel some irritation throughout the day. Perhaps once a month I'll use my Pils with a Feather blade when in a hurry, or for a touch up before going out in the evening. Since it's a mild shaving razor, I can easily do an ATG pass without any irritation, but I'm still usually satisfied with two passes. If I had a dark, heavy beard I might be more inclined to try ATG, at least in some areas of my face.

38 5,108