02-08-2016, 12:38 PM
User Info
Is this subject has been addressed previously, I apologize.

I have tried to look to see if it has, and I haven't seen it. As a result, I wish to address it now.

I have been looking into getting a One Blade for a couple of months now. However, the price has slowed my willingness to leap, but I DO want a SE razor in my den. I've heard varied thoughts on the One Blade in various locations, as well as on the Mongoose.

I am aware that several members, here, have these razors. I am hoping to get the opinions of folks that have experience with these razors all in one place.

My question is which would you pick if you had to pick one of these, and why.

Any educated thoughts, and assistance, will be GREATLY appreciated.

6 94
 02-08-2016, 01:34 PM
User Info
There is an ongoing test by one of our members who (as I recall) slightly prefers the OneBlade.  I personally love my two Mongoose razors, about all I use anymore (have not tried the OneBlade).

Blade cost is another factor to consider (considerably more for the OneBlade I believe) unless you are willing to de-spline Gem Blades.  Link:

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=37958

52 1,176
 02-08-2016, 02:49 PM
User Info
I have used my mongoose B2 with a feather pro blade almost exclusively for 8 months and I love it. I just got my OneBlade in last week and after 2 shaves this thing is awesome. The shaves have been effortless, smother, and closer then my mongoose so far. I have only used the feather blades but I have some GEM's on the way to try out. I still have to determine how many shaves I can get out of each blade type. The price point for the blades might be higher then most but for me I would rather have a smooth shave compared to more soaps and aftershaves.

1 15
 02-08-2016, 04:44 PM
User Info
(02-08-2016, 02:49 PM)Valley2410 Wrote: I have used my mongoose B2 with a feather pro blade almost exclusively for 8 months and I love it. I just got my OneBlade in last week and after 2 shaves this thing is awesome. The shaves have been effortless, smother, and closer then my mongoose so far. I have only used the feather blades but I have some GEM's on the way to try out. I still have to determine how many shaves I can get out of each blade type. The price point for the blades might be higher then most but for me I would rather have a smooth shave compared to more soaps and aftershaves.

Thanks for your thoughts, Valley.  Good to see another Missouri guy here.

6 94
 02-08-2016, 04:46 PM
User Info
(02-08-2016, 01:34 PM)david1201 Wrote: There is an ongoing test by one of our members who (as I recall) slightly prefers the OneBlade.  I personally love my two Mongoose razors, about all I use anymore (have not tried the OneBlade).

Blade cost is another factor to consider (considerably more for the OneBlade I believe) unless you are willing to de-spline Gem Blades.  Link:

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=37958

Thank you, sir, for your thoughts, and the link  to thread. It's obliged.

6 94
 02-08-2016, 04:47 PM
User Info
(02-08-2016, 12:38 PM)JustAmoHik Wrote: Is this subject has been addressed previously, I apologize.

I have tried to look to see if it has, and I haven't seen it. As a result, I wish to address it now.

I have been looking into getting a One Blade for a couple of months now. However, the price has slowed my willingness to leap, but I DO want a SE razor in my den. I've heard varied thoughts on the One Blade in various locations, as well as on the Mongoose.

I am aware that several members, here, have these razors. I am hoping to get the opinions of folks that have experience with these razors all in one place.

My question is which would you pick if you had to pick one of these, and why.

Any educated thoughts, and assistance, will be GREATLY appreciated.

6 94
 02-08-2016, 06:28 PM
User Info
I have extensive Mongoose experience & my OneBlade experience is growing daily since receiving mine last December. You can read my ongoing thoughts as I first started using the razors in my journals as well as experiences by some other users as well. 

OneBlade Journal

Mongoose Journal

To answer you succinctly let me say this. I used the Mongoose exclusively for 15 months. In well less than 2 months I have made the OneBlade my daily driver. I do prefer a de-spined GEM blade to the Feather Hi-Stainless. However, I would still have to choose OneBlade even if I only had Feathers. It would just cost more as those blades don't last very long. My GEM blades are much cheaper, shave better for me, and last longer.

31 8,055
 02-08-2016, 06:41 PM
User Info
I just had my first shave with the Mongoose. Used a Feather AC Super blade. 

My initial impression is that this razor does something that only very high end razors will do. They clamp the blade evenly, and more importantly, TIGHTLY. As the blade cuts across the skin, you can feel that the blade does not vibrate even a fraction of a millimeter. This allows for a very clean and sharp cut even if the blade tugs. On my first shave, I had 3 weepers. I believe this to be a result of lack of experience on the blade and the blade being so very sharp. I like a milder blade, but I figure it will smooth out as the shaves increase on the blade. I only needed 2 passes to get an almost perfect BBS shave. one WTG and one XTG. 

I have a few Ikon DEs and a standard, and this razor is in a whole other league. I have not used the Oneblade, but I figure i would share my initial impressions of the Mongoose. (Batch 3?)

0 517
 02-08-2016, 07:18 PM
User Info
Well my experience wasn't positive with either razor but I owe you the feedback.. Please take with a grain of salt and try to experience both if possible.. That's the best way to judge
The mongoose was too heavy, big, difficult to maneuver and too aggressive even with Kai mild blades.. Almost always gave me cuts, wasn't fun to use, and harsh on the skin.

OneBlade, I found too mild. Very comfortable shave.. Even though the blade dragged but zero cuts or irritation. Could never get a close shave from it. Blade doesn't cut smooth like the feather artist club blade does.

If I hd to choose between the two I would go for the OB, but I would much rather shave with a vintage GEM or a Cobra if you can get one. Either offer much superior shaves IMO

10 769
 02-10-2016, 12:24 PM
User Info
(02-08-2016, 07:18 PM)snowman Wrote: Well my experience wasn't positive with either razor but I owe you the feedback.. Please take with a grain of salt and try to experience both if possible.. That's the best way to judge
The mongoose was too heavy, big, difficult to maneuver and too aggressive even with Kai mild blades.. Almost always gave me cuts, wasn't fun to use, and harsh on the skin.

OneBlade, I found too mild. Very comfortable shave.. Even though the blade dragged but zero cuts or irritation. Could never get a close shave from it. Blade doesn't cut smooth like the feather artist club blade does.

If I hd to choose between the two I would go for the OB, but I would much rather shave with a vintage GEM or a Cobra if you can get one. Either offer  much superior shaves IMO
This is closer to my experience. Love the mongoose, but generally use feather pro guard to avoid cuts. Heavy but the blade is very secure. The OB is mild and non-agressive. It is hard for me to get a close shave. You can easily over insert the blade (and getting it out in that case is a bear).  The spring based clamping simply does not hold the blade sufficiently to avoid vibration as the mongoose can and springs wear out eventually. It is light though and handles well. I will continue to use both, along with my AS-D2 and get a Wolfman eventually.

0 19
 02-10-2016, 01:40 PM
User Info
First, there is no spring involved in holding a blade in the OneBlade. The mildness of OneBlade can be difficult to get used to but I've seen no decrease in efficiency. 

If Mongoose is too heavy then watch Maggards for the AlumiGoose. Problem solved. 

There is a big difference between OneBlade & Mongoose. The blades & the pivot. They each have their own technique & both can work perfectly, but not necessarily for everyone.

31 8,055
 02-10-2016, 02:03 PM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 01:40 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: First, there is no spring involved in holding a blade in the OneBlade. The mildness of OneBlade can be difficult to get used to but I've seen no decrease in efficiency. 

If Mongoose is too heavy then watch Maggards for the AlumiGoose. Problem solved. 

There is a big difference between OneBlade & Mongoose. The blades & the pivot. They each have their own technique & both can work perfectly, but not necessarily for everyone.
I find the handle to be a bit cumbersome. My JH UFO Wave solved that and it's fantastic. Much more maneuverable

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

0 517
 02-10-2016, 02:57 PM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 12:24 PM)challer Wrote:
(02-08-2016, 07:18 PM)snowman Wrote: Well my experience wasn't positive with either razor but I owe you the feedback.. Please take with a grain of salt and try to experience both if possible.. That's the best way to judge

If I hd to choose between the two I would go for the OB, but I would much rather shave with a vintage GEM or a Cobra if you can get one. Either offer  much superior shaves IMO
This is closer to my experience. Love the mongoose, but generally use feather pro guard to avoid cuts. Heavy but the blade is very secure. The OB is mild and non-agressive. It is hard for me to get a close shave. You can easily over insert the blade (and getting it out in that case is a bear).  The spring based clamping simply does not hold the blade sufficiently to avoid vibration as the mongoose can and springs wear out eventually. It is light though and handles well. I will continue to use both, along with my AS-D2 and get a Wolfman eventually.

I think you got a defective OB.

9 1,203
 02-10-2016, 07:49 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(02-08-2016, 06:28 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I have extensive Mongoose experience & my OneBlade experience is growing daily since receiving mine last December. You can read my ongoing thoughts as I first started using the razors in my journals as well as experiences by some other users as well. 

OneBlade Journal

Mongoose Journal

To answer you succinctly let me say this. I used the Mongoose exclusively for 15 months. In well less than 2 months I have made the OneBlade my daily driver. I do prefer a de-spined GEM blade to the Feather Hi-Stainless. However, I would still have to choose OneBlade even if I only had Feathers. It would just cost more as those blades don't last very long. My GEM blades are much cheaper, shave better for me, and last longer.
I agree with what you have said on the OneBlade

50 412
 02-12-2016, 05:42 AM
  • skeptik
  • The Piedmont, VA
User Info
I may be a bit late posting for your benefit, my experience with both razors is somewhat limited since i may shave with either just once a week.  I have a 7 day rotation currently and have 7 razors to choose from.  

The Mongoose (satin) is a heavy razor and not as maneuverable (for me) as is the OneBlade.  And is a far more aggressive razor than is the OneBlade.  I have not yet tried a spineless Gem blade in the OneBlade, the less I mess with blades the safer I feel and I have found the Feather more than satisfactory. 

I have also found that the OneBlade gives me an extremely close shave, the only razor that I have even greater success is the double edge Weber DLC, my favorite of all razors I have used.  As a practical matter, I would probably be content with just the OneBlade and Weber as my "go to" razors, but then what fun would that be?

0 295
 02-12-2016, 06:09 AM
User Info
I appreciate all the input on this thread! I know so much of this hobby is arbitrary; however, the point of it was to get the thoughts of those that have experience with either, or both of these razors. I did just that. Tha.k you, guys! I think my decision is made. STAY TUNED! Wink

6 94
 02-12-2016, 06:56 AM
User Info

After reading your experience , say was so excited to have the mangoose and bommmmmm went very badly , I felt that it is too aggressive for my skin , I always had some minor cuts and irritation. I lack experience the pro -guard feather, or kai as a last attempt to keep the machine much like . It is so beautiful with my UFO goliath hahahaha

0 50
 02-12-2016, 07:43 AM
User Info
I had my first shave with my new Mongoose this morning (with a Feather Pro), and it went pretty well overall, but a few weepers and more alum sting than usual tells me I have room to improve. I suspect I don't have the angle QUITE dialed in yet. Still, a close two-pass shave.

I have a OneBlade due to arrive next week (couldn't resist after reading so much about it), so I'll soon be comparing these two razors myself. For reference, my best shavers otherwise are my Wolfman and NEW SC, and my two Schick injectors (which got me interested in more SEs).

0 53