02-08-2016, 06:25 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
We have posted previously about BST prices getting out of control and now have decided to make a simple rule. In your FS posts, for all non-vintage items, you must state how much the items costs new and you must not ask for more than the item costs new. Further, members are encouraged to keep the sellers honest.

The template for a FS post could be as follows:

Up for sale is a stock King Cobra razor. I would estimate that I have used the razor no more than 20 times. New, these go for $238.00. I would like $220 shipped CONUS

Sellers wishing to turn a profit should sell on Ebay, a similar auction site, or their own website.

45 17,240
 02-08-2016, 06:28 PM
User Info
Sounds reasonable. How does this apply to items that haven't been made in a few years (not for sale retail, but non-vintage)? Same protocol?

28 479
 02-08-2016, 06:32 PM
User Info
I like it

24 673
 02-08-2016, 06:36 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(02-08-2016, 06:28 PM)OnaBlueCloud Wrote: Sounds reasonable. How does this apply to items that haven't been made in a few years (not for sale retail, but non-vintage)? Same protocol?

Out of production items would be treated the same as vintage items. You can list them at the current market rate.

45 17,240
 02-08-2016, 06:38 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Basically, we ask for members to respect the intent of this forum community, and BST here : to interact in a fair and reasonable manner.

102 18,171
 02-08-2016, 06:42 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
This rule just makes it easier for the moderators. We were getting a lot of reports and it was hard to be consistent. This way, the retail price is listed in black and white terms and the asking price cannot exceed this.

45 17,240
 02-08-2016, 10:34 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Sounds fair, but what about items that may be in current production but exceedingly difficult to buy...like Wolfman razors?
I've been after one for a while.  Wink

47 1,852
 02-08-2016, 11:05 PM
  • ben74
  • ADMINISTRATOR EMERITUS
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(02-08-2016, 10:34 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Sounds fair, but what about items that may be in current production but exceedingly difficult to buy...like Wolfman razors?

The Wolfman, like the King Cobra are current production and non-vintage. 

The popularity of these items ensures they retain their value, but this addition to the BST rules discourages members taking advantage and flipping these popular items for quick profit. 

The theme of the forum's BST is buying and trading among friends

In the forum's infancy that theme was indeed a reality as most members knew each other, but as the forum has grown, so has the need to bring in rules not usually necessary among friends...

98 17,993
 02-08-2016, 11:15 PM
User Info
(02-08-2016, 10:34 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Sounds fair, but what about items that may be in current production but exceedingly difficult to buy...like Wolfman razors?

I think the Wolfman is a perfect example. As a shaving forum you don't want to facilitate driving up the prices, but by the same token if they can't be advertised for more than the price for a new one, I suspect we may not see too many Wolfmans for sale here, or alternatively they may get purchased at mate's rates here an sold on on Ebay.  Strictly speaking the Wolfman is still in production but you can't just go out and buy one.  Maybe we need a special ruling on Wolfman some of those other high end articles that are currently in production, have a 'new' price but are not readily available to the general public. It needs to be fair and practical. I suppose there is a whole range of places where one can buy and sell stuff so everyone has a choice, but if the goal is to encourage people to sell their stuff here, then an open uncapped marketplace might work better.

1 97
 02-08-2016, 11:25 PM
User Info
(02-08-2016, 11:05 PM)ben74 Wrote:

The popularity of these items ensures they retain their value, but this addition to the BST rules discourages members taking advantage and flipping these popular items for quick profit. 

In the forum's infancy that theme was indeed a reality as most members knew each other, but as the forum has grown, so has the need to bring in rules not usually necessary among friends...

I think there is a real buying and trading among friends on the forum and I think it is very important to try and maintain that. You don't want people to make a quick buck here, selling something they have just bought new for a profit  just because they can. Just concerned that if you "force" people,  that prefer to sell things here, to sell it for less than market value, somebody will pick it up and sell it for a profit on Ebay. So whichever way you go, you might have an issue with people trying to make a quick buck. I suppose the seller doesn't necessarily have to sell to the first buyer and can choose to sell it to someone with a decent reputation on the forum, there is always that.

1 97
 02-09-2016, 01:34 AM
  • ben74
  • ADMINISTRATOR EMERITUS
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(02-08-2016, 11:25 PM)Rickenbacker Wrote:
(02-08-2016, 11:05 PM)ben74 Wrote:

I think there is a real buying and trading among friends on the forum and I think it is very important to try and maintain that. You don't want people to make a quick buck here, selling something they have just bought new for a profit  just because they can. Just concerned that if you "force" people,  that prefer to sell things here, to sell it for less than market value, somebody will pick it up and sell it for a profit on Ebay. So whichever way you go, you might have an issue with people trying to make a quick buck. I suppose the seller doesn't necessarily have to sell to the first buyer and can choose to sell it to someone with a decent reputation on the forum, there is always that.

The primary purpose of the site is sharing a common interest - shaving. Not selling.

The BST is a BONUS, where enthusiasts can sell for FREE.

No one is forced to sell things here, people prefer to sell here because its faster and its FREE.

I believe the new rule does not seek to ensure members are trading at a great loss or discourage trading desirable items, but to prevent the BST becoming a free business for unscrupulous members to price gouge under the guise of friendship and common interest.

98 17,993
 02-09-2016, 01:36 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Well said! Agreed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

47 1,852
 02-09-2016, 02:15 AM
User Info
I fully agree with your comments too Ben, and I hope the forum manages to retain the 'mateship' feel. There's a lot of good people on here, always willing to give some good advice. I have bought a couple of things here and the experience has been very good, not the main focus while I'm here either though. Unfortunately as you say there will be some that will take advantage if they can, so we need to have some rules. But a bit of debate around them is healthy I think. We  all want what's best for the forum in the long run.

1 97
 02-09-2016, 03:23 AM
User Info
Question is the rules about trading changing as well? I don't mind the change as I'm mostly a trader I can see people being discouraged from selling and now moving towards trading now and those hard to find items will make an unbalance in trading. Sorry if this was already addressed. And what happens to the posts already made before the rule change do they stay or need to be edited?

9 270
 02-09-2016, 04:39 AM
User Info
I buy a fair number of custom brushes 2nd hand that I have no idea how much they cost new, sometimes on other forums.  How am I supposed to address that situation?

50 1,153
 02-09-2016, 04:52 AM
User Info
(02-09-2016, 04:39 AM)david1201 Wrote: I buy a fair number of custom brushes 2nd hand that I have no idea how much they cost new, sometimes on other forums.  How am I supposed to address that situation?
Good question I wonder the same

9 270
 02-09-2016, 06:01 AM
User Info
I see things are getting sticky in the BST lately regarding asking prices over the purchase price when new. I get it, really do, but wanted to throw out a view from another angle. I hope it is ok to post this here, if not, nuke away! I did not want to clutter someone's FS post.

So, selling for more than original cost, unfortunately items like this will head to ebay where a King Cobra will cost $400 instead of $300 here. I understand the idea behind the rule, but buyers can/will lose out on some items even if paying a bit more than an item costs when new.

I will absolutely fully support the new rule, just had to put my view out here where a mod will hopefully see it. We'll never see a Wolfman FS againSmile. I'd hate to see the TSN BST go the way B&B has.

55 909
 02-09-2016, 06:07 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info

No exceptions...these razors are in production and can be listed for no more than retail price.

45 17,240
 02-09-2016, 06:08 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(02-09-2016, 04:39 AM)david1201 Wrote: I buy a fair number of custom brushes 2nd hand that I have no idea how much they cost new, sometimes on other forums.  How am I supposed to address that situation?

You will simply have to do some research before listing.

45 17,240
 02-09-2016, 06:09 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
We also count on member input : in a polite and constructive way if a listing price seems unusually high.
We don't intend to nitpick over slight variances in pricing compared to retail.
What we don't encourage is unscrupulous profiteering, which is fairly obvious in most cases.

102 18,171