02-08-2016, 06:36 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
This is a review of a razor i recently purchased off of Amazon.The ATOMIC.....sounds cheesey like it should be an "as seen on tv" product.But it is not.I was bouncing around the web one night and stumbled across these razors.Apparently they have a standard size chrome,long handle chrome and a chrome/black combo.All are three piece razors.Price was around nine dollars plus shipping.I figured why not?A few minutes with the debit card and it was then time to wait on delivery,Delivery was a bit odd--I ordered on wednesday,it shipped on saturday night and was delivered monday afternoon.(ohio to middle georgia),Strange.

Anyway the razor was well packaged in a large box with air-pacs around the presentation box that was foam lined.Definitely little chance of damage to the all metal razor .lol.The razor itself is rather handsome.Cross hatched knurling along most of the length of the handle with two thin lines of recessed smooth metal near the bottom  and a quarter inch recessed smooth depression  slightly above those,then a smooth area just before where the handle flutes down to the head.The base plate is rather thick with slightly diagonal scalloping along the bar.The top cap is highly polished with the Atomic razor logo etched upon it.All put together in a rather heavy combo.In fact the handle somewhat reminds me of the handle of an automotive ratchet  of the quarter inch variety.lol

I loaded up with a fresh derby blade and set about my shave routine ...wet my face three or four times and massage the whisker growth each time.Then pick the cream or soap .This time was Edge lotion.I applied a bit and massaged and rubbed it til I was happy. Biggrin.Then I started with the grain...very smooth.Then against the grain  wow the blade combined with the scalloped head combine to produce the singing of a SE razor.Then a light touch up and a rinse with cool water.......a DFS almost BBS.I think if I had took  my time I could have gotten the baby bottom shave.It seems the scalloping allows more blade to contact the whiskers but keeps the agressiveness low resulting in less irritation.

I have since had 4 more shaves with the same blade.Number 2 I got in a hurry and gave myself a weeper.The rest have all been DFS ,I have used Dove cream and some soaps during this time.
I own Gillette superspeeds,techs and fatboys,kronas,star DE's and I think this one has the edge on all of them.I may have to try their other offerings.

Now for the cons-some of the pictures show a leather type carry case with it and some of the ads proclaim includes blades.Mine had neither.This was pointed out by some on line reviewers so I was not expecting them.The company needs to address this to avoid disappointment among it's customers.But at the price point the razor is well worth it,even with out any extras.

0 275
 02-08-2016, 07:47 PM
User Info
Thank you for a great review. Need some pictures however.

119 13,010
 02-08-2016, 08:53 PM
User Info
[Image: 61wyLlYleBL._SL1500_.jpg]i bought one of these and honestly they are only worth about the 9$ i paid. the plating on the head is terrible. its a merkur style hd head imo i for sure would not have paid any more for this after seeing it. it does shave okay though not at all one i would want to shave with every day.

16 660
 02-08-2016, 08:54 PM
User Info
(02-08-2016, 07:47 PM)slantman Wrote: Thank you for a great review. Need some pictures however.

Signs011

Oops! You were quicker typing your response than I was.   Biggrin

82 21,056
 02-08-2016, 10:53 PM
User Info
btw if you have ever seen the utopia amazon sells its almost the same thing. the atomic i received was actually a bit worse plating wise then my utopia.

16 660
 02-09-2016, 05:22 AM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
I had read that some people had complaints about the plating and I think i saw a complaint about uneven blade alignment.

However on my particular example the top cap is highly polished with the logo  etched on.The underside that is not visible is polished also.Perhaps not to as high of a shine esp around the posts.The side posts have a little excess plating around the post head where it comes through the base plate.The base plate is highly polished in the  visually exposed areas,the scalloped areas are smooth.The non visible areas are not as highly polished and the center bar shows some tiny  freckling I guess you would call it.Little specks of excess plating material  that were not polished down.The underside of the base plate plate shows some uneven deposition of the chrome plating and is not as highly polished as the top bars.The handle is evenly plated and the knurling provides a good non slip surface,the handle is 3 7/8 inches long(it looks like a stretched Weber Bulldog handle).There is not any pitting evident anywhere.

I guess I had the luck of the draw and got a good example of the product.Remember this is a 10 dollar razor not a 50 dollar razor so the finish is not as good the higher end products.The last cheap new razor I bought was a Sally's Beauty Supply type TTO that the plating peeled off of while it sat in a drawer,this razor seems to have a much better ,heavier  construction.Time will tell.I am happy with it.YMMV

0 275