02-09-2016, 03:51 PM
User Info
Hello-

I've been thinking about getting a new brush and have narrowed it down to two choices: Simpsons Berkeley (pure badger) or the Simpsons Special (pure badger).  I am a pretty strict bowl lathering kind of guy and have no experience with Simpsons brushes, so I was hoping to garner a little real world opinions from folks who have used either brush and could help me narrow my decision down to one these brushes.

Thanks in advance!

0 5
 02-09-2016, 10:10 PM
User Info
It has been awhile since using pure badger, but this type of hair is, generally, quite scritchy/scratchy. Do you enjoy a great deal of strong scrub?
The best badger in Simpsons' brushes can be quite soft.

Also, what other brushes do you own, now, as a reference?

83 21,081
 02-10-2016, 03:09 AM
User Info
Yep, I love the scritch.  

I used to be a pretty strict boar and horse guy; for the past year I've been using a synthetic.  The most important thing for me is backbone.  I want to try a badger but I'm afraid the higher grades will be too soft and not give me what I prefer in a brush. 

Just wondering if the differing dimensions of these two would make any great deal of difference for bowl lathering, or is it just a matter of aesthetics/price?

0 5
 02-10-2016, 12:24 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
Hi. I currently own a Special and I used to own a Berkeley. The Berkeley has more backbone, but the Special is quicker to rinse and dry. Both very good brushes. I kept the special for the longer handle.

18 414
 02-10-2016, 02:56 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I've owned both (albeit in Best) and found the main difference lies in the ergonomics of the handle.

The Berkley is really comfortable to bowl lather with, whereas I really struggled with the Special and ended up selling it. 

The link below is a comparison test I did in bowl lathering a Berkely against a Chubby 2, Tulip 3 and two boar brushes a few years ago. Hopefully it will give you a good idea as to how good a Berkley is at bowl lathering. You may find that you will need to use a smaller bowl than the XL sized scuttle I used though - I find that it works really well in combination with a SV Grail bowl, for example. 

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=920

33 660