07-16-2012, 09:27 AM
User Info
I have heard a number of times that MWF does not like high heat and that it lathers much better with just warm water rather than hot. Is this true of any other soaps? I myself haven't noticed the phenomenon with tallow-based Penhaligon's or Floris soaps when I use my scuttles with hot water. I'm just curious if there are other soaps that are that temperature-sensitive.

183 12,002
 07-16-2012, 09:29 AM
User Info
I think the issue with heat and MWF is the lanolin. I've read that the heat will break down the lanolin. I'm not sure if this complicates the lathering process or not.

31 7,912
 07-16-2012, 10:32 AM
User Info
i have never heard that. The only issue i have encountered with soaps is the effect of hard-water decreasing their lather-ability.
Had a heck of a time face-lathering Mike's soaps while on vacation in Ontario. Thank goodness i live in Vancouver with all this oh-so-soft water!

75 20,883
 07-16-2012, 01:35 PM
User Info
So far the only effect I've seen from heat and my soaps/creams is that my Bigelow gets runny in higher (summer) ambient temps.

In the winter I lather MWF with >130°F water and it works fine. I have no idea what "high" temps are but clearly they CAN be significantly higher than 130°.

32 6,309
 07-16-2012, 01:36 PM
User Info
So if lanolin is the problem, one would expect heat problems with Sir Irisch Moos and D.R. Harris Arlington. Has anyone noticed that?

183 12,002
 07-16-2012, 07:48 PM
User Info
I've always been pretty skeptical about heat causing issues with MWF due to the lanolin. You don't hear this about any other product that contains lanolin (and I'd bet many have a higher quantity of lanolin in them).

30 275
 07-17-2012, 06:49 AM
User Info
Warm water rather than hot with MWF seems to be a common urban legend in the wet shaving community. I have my doubts as to it's credibility, however, I stll use warm water with MWF! Smile

0 1,377
 07-17-2012, 07:08 AM
User Info
(07-16-2012, 09:27 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I have heard a number of times that MWF does not like high heat and that it lathers much better with just warm water rather than hot. Is this true of any other soaps? I myself haven't noticed the phenomenon with tallow-based Penhaligon's or Floris soaps when I use my scuttles with hot water. I'm just curious if there are other soaps that are that temperature-sensitive.

Some have experienced less than stellar results from Mystic Water soaps when used with a scuttle and hot water. I've used very warm water while face lathering MW with no ill effects however.

0 836
 07-21-2012, 09:33 AM
User Info
I for one have had issues with mystic water in my scuttle.
It is a very thirsty soap also, lots of water needed.
(07-17-2012, 07:08 AM)5Savages Wrote:
(07-16-2012, 09:27 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I have heard a number of times that MWF does not like high heat and that it lathers much better with just warm water rather than hot. Is this true of any other soaps? I myself haven't noticed the phenomenon with tallow-based Penhaligon's or Floris soaps when I use my scuttles with hot water. I'm just curious if there are other soaps that are that temperature-sensitive.

Some have experienced less than stellar results from Mystic Water soaps when used with a scuttle and hot water. I've used very warm water while face lathering MW with no ill effects however.

1 73
 07-21-2012, 10:12 AM
User Info
(07-17-2012, 07:08 AM)5Savages Wrote:

yup, MW and my hot DB did not get along. when i face lathered or used warm water, no issues and it took me over 1/2 a puck to figure it out and i was on the brink of going insane as it was the 1st soap i had issues with like this.

MWF is another i take precautions with as many experience breakdown in hot water/scuttles, so i use warm water with this one regularly.

i find some soaps do break down in hot-hot water scuttles. so for now, especially in summer, i find i use WARM water when i scuttle lather and have no issues with MWF or any other soaps.

i think extreme either way, is not good for soaps/shaving. ie) ice cold rinses etc. i do not want to shock my face and think soaps act the same way.

that's what i think anyway. Wink

8 2,718
 07-21-2012, 10:21 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-16-2012, 01:36 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: So if lanolin is the problem, one would expect heat problems with Sir Irisch Moos and D.R. Harris Arlington. Has anyone noticed that?

John,Harris Arlington and Irisch Moos don't have lanolin.I have experience problems with most soaps if the water is very hot,since basically ruins the lather.I always try to use warm water.

86 7,123