02-10-2016, 08:25 AM
User Info
Could you guys fill me in on what is taboo around here?  I saw that NeoXerxes got banned, more than likely for trumpeting free speech for Will in the Night Music thread which was subsequently closed.  

I noticed that he was needled time after time after time by a moderator (Agravic) in the Cold River thread, which was subsequently closed so I'm just curious what is off limits? What causes banning? What are the rules here, because normal rules do not seem to apply? Certain vendors are allowed to be piled on, and others are highly defended? Which ones?

I challenged Neo in the Mystic Waters thread and some folks can go back and see it, and he was a gentlemen there to me.  I do not see why the guy, and several others recently have gotten banned.

Forum posting is something I've been involved in for quite a long time, and free speech is key, but I'm noticing people getting banned and things happening, warnings and such, which I do not understand here.  

Maybe I'm missing something.

1 468
 02-10-2016, 08:35 AM
User Info
There is no free speech on forums since forums are run by private entities.  Although your questions are valid, read the rules of the forum and try not to rock the boat.  Sometimes people get canned for reasons we don't see, for example in PMs.

9 1,203
 02-10-2016, 09:02 AM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 08:35 AM)CyanideMetal Wrote: There is no free speech on forums since forums are run by private entities.  Although your questions are valid, read the rules of the forum and try not to rock the boat.  Sometimes people get canned for reasons we don't see, for example in PMs.

I appreciate your response and that you feel my questions are valid.

Here is what I saw with NeoXerxes in a few of the threads:

He was labeled a "troll" for something that wasn't trolling.  In my opinion, he was being "trolled" by those calling him one.  Neo wasn't provacative or posting off topic crap, or inflammatory, in fact the moderator was trolling him, not the other way around.  In the classic sense of trolling, Neo was the one being trolled. Period.

Additionally, I found out that there are some favorites here during the last few weeks and there are some non-favorites.  All I want to know is if this list is out there somewhere, or if I have to hang around the forum long enough to figure out what this list is?  So far, CRSW is off-limits which is fine for me I guess because I love Larry and Cold River, but its fair game to beat the hell out of B&M and Will, along with PAA (probably deserves it). If I post a negative review of something sacred though, will I be called a troll and banned?

My point was, it seems there is some reckless banning going on out there and if there is some secret code or some list of commandments besides the normal forum posting requirements I need to follow, direct me to it.

1 468
 02-10-2016, 09:03 AM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 08:25 AM)SCShaver Wrote: Could you guys fill me in on what is taboo around here?  I saw that NeoXerxes got banned, more than likely for trumpeting free speech for Will in the Night Music thread which was subsequently closed.  

I noticed that he was needled time after time after time by a moderator (Agravic) in the Cold River thread, which was subsequently closed so I'm just curious what is off limits? What causes banning? What are the rules here, because normal rules do not seem to apply? Certain vendors are allowed to be piled on, and others are highly defended? Which ones?

I challenged Neo in the Mystic Waters thread and some folks can go back and see it, and he was a gentlemen there to me.  I do not see why the guy, and several others recently have gotten banned.

Forum posting is something I've been involved in for quite a long time, and free speech is key, but I'm noticing people getting banned and things happening, warnings and such, which I do not understand here.  

Maybe I'm missing something.

These are all very good questions- Yes whats missing?

0 113
 02-10-2016, 09:37 AM
User Info
Rocking the boat can get you tossed out. Especially if it's not your boat.
While I'm not a communist, Chomsky had a point.

"“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient

is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion,

but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....”

I'm not saying that's what happened.
But it might eliminate SCShavers confusion to understand this point.

0 71
 02-10-2016, 09:58 AM
User Info
As stated, we don't always know what's happening behind the scenes. If the Mods wish to discuss it they will. Not saying it's what happened but I have seen cases in other forums where a banned member created a new ID to try and sneak back in which caused what seems like a newer member to be banned for what everyone thinks is no reason. Just food for thought.

147 3,536
 02-10-2016, 10:02 AM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 09:58 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: As stated, we don't always know what's happening behind the scenes. If the Mods wish to discuss it they will. Not saying it's what happened but I have seen cases in other forums where a banned member created a new ID to try and sneak back in which caused what seems like a newer member to be banned for what everyone thinks is no reason. Just food for thought.

I've been in contact with this poster over the past few weeks and earlier he said not a single PM was received prior to banning.  I believe him.  He and I have had several disagreements and they've always been cordial and we both responded like gentlemen.  I believe the guy is an honest guy. Look at his posts on the forum.  Were they worth banning? Worth challenging sure, but worth calling him a troll, insulting his posting style or his methodology and banning him? Not at all. So there is one side.

1 468
 02-10-2016, 10:13 AM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 09:37 AM)Marcus Aurelius Wrote: Rocking the boat can get you tossed out. Especially if it's not your boat.
While I'm not a communist, Chomsky had a point.

"“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient

is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion,

but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....”

I'm not saying that's what happened.
But it might eliminate SCShavers confusion to understand this point.

I appreciate the advice.  I do not know about rocking the boat but accepting the status quo has it heading for an iceberg IMO.  I get the feeling I'm not the only one that feels this way around here but I just wanted to address it and see if I could get a response about it, and further, be informed not only for myself but others on the forum.  Again, the "spectrum of acceptable opinion" that you speak of was not clearly laid out to me in the forum rules, and it was a series of several nuances revealed to me over the past couple weeks.  There is sacred and non-sacred here, that is very apparent.

1 468
 02-10-2016, 10:16 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Rule #1: Don't talk about Fight-Club! Biggrin

Seriously though, aside from the published house rules, don't piss-off any mods/admin/Phil.  No swearing or inflammatory language.  No name-calling or trolling.
Other than that, I think everyone can (and does) post their thoughts & opinions within the scope of the rules.  Freedom of speech gives you a voice, but no rules require us to agree with it. Wink

47 1,924
 02-10-2016, 10:20 AM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 09:58 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: As stated, we don't always know what's happening behind the scenes. If the Mods wish to discuss it they will. Not saying it's what happened but I have seen cases in other forums where a banned member created a new ID to try and sneak back in which caused what seems like a newer member to be banned for what everyone thinks is no reason. Just food for thought.

Signs011

From what I've seen, bans are a very rare thing here. I'm positive there must be very good reasons that you, I and the rest of the members are not privy to. Continuing to speculate when you only know one side of the story isn't productive to the spirit of this forum.

0 148
 02-10-2016, 10:21 AM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 10:16 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Rule #1: Don't talk about Fight-Club! Biggrin

Seriously though, aside from the published house rules, don't piss-off any mods/admin/Phil.  No swearing or inflammatory language.  No name-calling or trolling.
Other than that, I think everyone can (and does) post their thoughts & opinions within the scope of the rules.  Freedom of speech gives you a voice, but no rules require us to agree with it. Wink

These rules were followed.  The end result was banning.

1 468
 02-10-2016, 10:22 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
The Moderation Team does not discuss  the details regarding banning of Members.

We ask that you follow the posted rules and contribute in a meaningful and positive manner. 

Just be niceSmile

This thread is closed.

59 4,492