02-10-2016, 11:24 AM
User Info
Guys, just a couple of questions about the Tradere.  I am the proud owner of serial number 413 of the Gen 2 Tradere SBs.   I have had this razor for a long while.  Pulled it out and used it this morning for the first time in a long, long time.  Remembered its strengths as well as some picky things that annoy me.  Just curious to ask other owners a few questions. 

1) if you at one time purchased a Tradere, do you still own it?  If you sold it, why did you sell it?  

2) If you still have a Tradere, is it in your rotation?  A prominent part of the rotation?  If not, why not?

3) What would you say are the principal strengths of the Tradere design? 

4) What are its weaknesses, if any?  

Looking forward to thoughts and opinions about this razor.  I don't want to post answers just yet because I don't want to influence the answers of others.  I'm really curious to see if the little annoyance I'm hinting about bothers anybody else or if it's just me. 

Thanks.

2 1,387
 02-10-2016, 11:30 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
The head width and flat blade presentation aren't my favorites, but it is an excellent shaver overall. I like a little blade curve to reduce chatter and increase blade rigidity.

143 1,983
 02-10-2016, 11:36 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
If I remember correctly I sold (or traded) mine to Kingfisher  Wink

28 1,433
 02-10-2016, 11:51 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I have two, a first-generation OC (#204) and a SB. (#591) Like you, I don't seem to pull them out a whole lot. I shaved with my SB two days ago, and got a phenomenal shave, but it was the first time I'd used it in, like 6 months.
1) I haven't sold any of mine, and don't see ever selling them. Here's my story: I purchased a SB at a reasonable price from a forum member. I enjoyed it, but thought that I would prefer an OC model. So I traded that one for an OC, which I still own. I enjoyed using the OC, but I found that I missed shaving with the SB. So I went on a long, long search. The SB became my white whale. Over a period of about a year, I missed several offerings by forum members, often by seconds. Then I saw one up on eBay and an unreasonable price. I jumped on it, and that is the one I shaved with on Monday.
2) It's "technically" in my rotation, but it just hasn't come up in a while. I have a lot of razors, but I can't say that it's in my top 5.
3) Visually, it is fantastic. It is not the "stereotypical" razor design. Broken down, I don't particularly like the design of the head, nor do I really like the design of the handle. However, the two together are much more than the sum of their parts. The razor as a whole is gorgeous. I mix and match different handles and heads on nearly all of my other razors, but I've never had even the slightest desire to use either the Tradere head nor the handle with any other setup.
4) It's hard to really nail down the weaknesses of the Traderes. I think that I prefer the SB slightly, but both perform exceptionally well. When I use them, I enjoy them. I find that I get slightly more weepers than most other razors, but not significant cuts, and nothing that leaves a scab or a mark. They don't irritate my face, and I find them exceptionally smooth. (The SB a little more so than the OC) However, for whatever reason, I just haven't seemed to have a strong desire to use either of them recently.

In short, they are fantastic razors. Beautiful and exceptionally well made. However, for whatever reason, I currently find myself reaching for the BBS-1, King Cobra, and the Blackbird far more often. It's pretty usual for these things to go in cycles for me, though, so I anticipate a time in the future where I'll get in the habit of grabbing a Tradere instead of those others.

22 823
 02-10-2016, 12:03 PM
User Info
I sold both a SB and an OC as I just found them to be a bit head-heavy and uncomfortable when shaving with and a bit aggressive.
I would like to revisit them, but I doubt I would change my view of them.

They were beautifully crafted razors. Shy

82 21,056
 02-10-2016, 12:08 PM
User Info
Had two sold them both several years ago. Apparently Tradere has disappeared and nobody knows what happened. There website used to say looking for a new machine shop but apparently this never happened. I sent them an email a year ago with no response. Some vendors still show them "out of stock". The build quality was excellent and the shaves pretty decent. If anybody is thinking about selling theirs you can get mucho bucks as the supply and demand factor kicks in.

119 13,010
 02-10-2016, 12:15 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I have a salient theory as to what happened to the company and their razors, but it's mostly speculation, backed up by some observations that fit together well. I don't know if it's wise or appropriate for me to post it here.

22 823
 02-10-2016, 12:23 PM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 11:36 AM)Snuff Wrote: If I remember correctly I sold (or traded) mine to Kingfisher  Wink

Right you are.  

Shaved with it this morning, but on the UFO Titan Fine L handle.

2 1,387
 02-10-2016, 12:35 PM
User Info
1. Still own a SB and OC. Bought two of each when new.

2. SB is in my rotation. OC is not. The OC, for me is a bit too aggressive for an every day shave.

3. Stainless steel. Cap covers blade ends. Precision made and finely detailed.

4. Can't complain about the two I've used. I mix and match handles. I personally only see a preference to use different handles. No real weaknesses or flaws. The stock handles are a bit thin and off balance compared to the hefty size of the heads for my taste.

I usually use my UFO TiTan handle with my Tradere SB.

7 1,311
 02-10-2016, 01:19 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I had two SB's and an OC and ended up selling all of them.

I found the OC to be far too aggressive for my tastes and the SB was a razor that was a tad too aggressive for my face and not aggressive enough to use on my head. I also didn't find them to be as smooth a razor as some people have found them to be. 

I kept the handles though. They are great and are still used with a variety of vintage Gillette heads. 

I've since regretted selling them on a number of occasions. However, recent purchases of a Blackbird, Ikon B1 Slant and ATT S1 & S2, have made me change my mind regarding this - I think I made the right decision as I prefer all of these razors over the Tradere and I'm not sure that it would figure much in my current razor rotation if the truth be told.

33 645
 02-10-2016, 01:21 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I still have the original OC #00014 and the milder # 00228. As well the super duper use a lot SB # 00675 mated to a Mongoose dub legend handle...don,t use the OC but I,m going to try it again ASAP....

6 1,994
 02-10-2016, 06:54 PM
User Info
I have a first generation OC as well as an iKon SBS and I'm on the hunt for a SB. One day.

8 98
 02-10-2016, 10:36 PM
User Info
Following the thread with great interest, have a gen1 OC on the way, I shall post my findings in due, I've seen widely varying reviews.

1 97
 02-11-2016, 06:49 AM
User Info
I had an SB version and it always gave a great shave.

I sold mine because I was not impressed with how consistently it held the blade even on both sides of the head compared to the Pils that I own. So.....now I only own a Pils.

39 275
 02-11-2016, 08:14 AM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 11:24 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Guys, just a couple of questions about the Tradere.  I am the proud owner of serial number 413 of the Gen 2 Tradere SBs.   I have had this razor for a long while.  Pulled it out and used it this morning for the first time in a long, long time.  Remembered its strengths as well as some picky things that annoy me.  Just curious to ask other owners a few questions. 

1) if you at one time purchased a Tradere, do you still own it?  If you sold it, why did you sell it?  

2) If you still have a Tradere, is it in your rotation?  A prominent part of the rotation?  If not, why not?

3) What would you say are the principal strengths of the Tradere design? 

4) What are its weaknesses, if any?  

Looking forward to thoughts and opinions about this razor.  I don't want to post answers just yet because I don't want to influence the answers of others.  I'm really curious to see if the little annoyance I'm hinting about bothers anybody else or if it's just me. 

Thanks.

I owneboth the OC and SB and two handles from Tradere. But when I thought I was done with DE's, I sold all my DE razors 2014 and 2015, which I regret now.

It wasn't the best shaver, but still a solid DE razor.

24 5,839
 02-11-2016, 11:57 AM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
I have one of the second gen SB. I use it pretty much exclusively. 

It's important to note that I have a full beard but I still wet shave my neck and the Tradere works perfect. 

I'm not a huge fan of the Tradere handle though, it's a bit too thin and not grippy enough for my liking and I usually swap it out with my Weber Classic handle. 

My neck area is the most touchy spot as far as shaving is concerned. I have a whisker grain like a tornado there.

The combo of the Tradere SB head and the Weber Classic handle works superbly for me.

Also, I use the Gillette 7 O'clock SP (blacks) the majority of the time with it.

53 555
 02-11-2016, 01:25 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've had a Tradere OC since early 2013 - not sure which generation it is.  It is well made, and mildly aggressive which is my preference.  I haven't had it out in quite a while; going from recollection I enjoyed it but there were a couple niggles ..

The massive head, which covers the blade 100%+ (save the shaving edge obviously) is higher than necessary and clumsy to use - the corner of the blade can't be used to get that last bit of stubble in tight spots.  The handle itself as mentioned is thinner than most, and too long for my taste.   

I should probably sell it, as they ain't making any more, but that fact makes me hang on to it.  Think I'll dust it off tomorrow ..

43 459
 02-11-2016, 02:43 PM
  • skeptik
  • The Piedmont, VA
User Info
I bought a Tradere SB from Bullgoose some years ago.  I don't much care for the weight/balance of the razor and find it to be a bit aggressive for my face and beard.  Presently, it's in my cabinet along with some other more aggressive and unweildly razors I have acquired over the past several years such as the Cobra Classic, EJ, Slants ( several different models) and the way too big Vision.  I doubt that I'll ever put any of these razors back in rotation, I have too many razors that work better for me, my technique and my face.  Good luck.

0 295
 02-11-2016, 08:31 PM
User Info
(02-11-2016, 01:25 PM)garyg Wrote: I've had a Tradere OC since early 2013 - not sure which generation it is.  

The number on the bottom will tell you. I understand the first 207 were first generation.

1 97
 02-11-2016, 10:18 PM
User Info
Just received my Tradere OC 1st gen. First impression,  it's quite hefty, head is quite big as it covers blade tabs. I found some tooling marks on both bottom sides of the base plate and some above the teeth. Not very noticeable and certainly won't affect anything, but enough to annoy me. Not big on the handle. Loading the blade was easy enough, taking it out after shaving a little less easy as blade tabs are covered. 

When I loaded the blade, the gap between the base plate and razor quite scared me. 1st shave with Astra blade that was couple of shaves old. Being very careful I got half a decent shave, but skin quite irritated. 

Intending to have another go tomorrow with a different blade.

1 97