02-10-2016, 11:47 AM
User Info
I do not understand why more people are not talking about this new released razor. It is probably one of the best values on the market today . It comes with six different plates and is built extremely well . I used almost every number except the 5 during my shave. And with this razor I can do everything from aggressive to mild and also to buffing. I have all the top de razors out there from ATT, Pils, Wolfman, BBS 1, ASD 2, Ikons, Mongoose, Cobras, and many others. Yes the other expensive razors may have the better finish or quality but as far as shave and bang for the buck this takes top honor. Everybody should check it out![Image: ddd27444b712fe9509d01d37b305af76.jpg]!!!!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

19 588
 02-10-2016, 11:56 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I backed the original project, and still haven't gotten my replacement yet. I'm not to the point of complaining, because I have two other Rockwell Razors, and I think the company is going above and beyond in providing me with a third. But I can't comment on something I don't have yet. :-)

22 828
 02-10-2016, 11:59 AM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 11:56 AM)chamm Wrote: I backed the original project, and still haven't gotten my replacement yet. I'm not to the point of complaining, because I have two other Rockwell Razors, and I think the company is going above and beyond in providing me with a third. But I can't comment on something I don't have yet. :-)
I have found Gareth the founder very responsive and accommodating. As with any new venture there always challenges especially with someone who is new to the business. May everything work out well for you.

19 588
 02-10-2016, 12:11 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I'll be honest, I'm strongly rooting for these guys to succeed. Firstly, their idea is clever. Not super ground-breaking or anything, but novel enough to make something that should, in theory, work very well under a variety of circumstances.

The first razor I got was awful. The blade looked like a funhouse mirror, and while I got one decent shave out of it, I had to be exceptionally careful, and it wasn't all that fun. I wrote it off as a failed experiment. Then I got a notification that they were fixing the problems, and I was again thrilled. It seemed like with a little machine work, the razor could be fixed. I got the second razor, and I applauded their effort, but it was again a failure. Again, I wrote it off as a valiant, but failed experiment.

When I heard they were going for another go-round, from the ground up, I was happy for them, but I figured my initial purchase was lost. When I got an email saying that they would send me the new generation free of charge, I was pleasantly surprised. I want to be excited again, and it appears that they have succeeded this time, but I am trying to temper my optimism until I actually get the finished product.

The project creators clearly made some mistakes and got in deeper than they planned. Mistakes happen, even in the best businesses, but it appears that they have met adversity with all of the "correct" decisions. None of it will matter if the new razor isn't good, but I'm perfectly willing to give it an open-minded chance.

I wish these guys the best of luck. As I said, I'm rooting for them, with tempered optimism.

22 828
 02-10-2016, 12:31 PM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 12:11 PM)chamm Wrote: I'll be honest, I'm strongly rooting for these guys to succeed. Firstly, their idea is clever. Not super ground-breaking or anything, but novel enough to make something that should, in theory, work very well under a variety of circumstances.

The first razor I got was awful. The blade looked like a funhouse mirror, and while I got one decent shave out of it, I had to be exceptionally careful, and it wasn't all that fun. I wrote it off as a failed experiment. Then I got a notification that they were fixing the problems, and I was again thrilled. It seemed like with a little machine work, the razor could be fixed. I got the second razor, and I applauded their effort, but it was again a failure. Again, I wrote it off as a valiant, but failed experiment.

When I heard they were going for another go-round, from the ground up, I was happy for them, but I figured my initial purchase was lost. When I got an email saying that they would send me the new generation free of charge, I was pleasantly surprised. I want to be excited again, and it appears that they have succeeded this time, but I am trying to temper my optimism until I actually get the finished product.

The project creators clearly made some mistakes and got in deeper than they planned. Mistakes happen, even in the best businesses, but it appears that they have met adversity with all of the "correct" decisions. None of it will matter if the new razor isn't good, but I'm perfectly willing to give it an open-minded chance.

I wish these guys the best of luck. As I said, I'm rooting for them, with tempered optimism.
That's a good positive attitude. Just email Gareth and I'm sure he will take care of you as he has taken care of me.

19 588
 02-10-2016, 12:39 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(02-10-2016, 11:47 AM)rawfox1 Wrote: I do not understand why more people are not talking about this new released razor. It is probably one of the best values  on the market today .  It comes  with six different plates and is built extremely well . I used almost every number except the 5 during my shave. And with this razor I can do everything from aggressive to mild and also to buffing. I have all the top de razors out there from ATT, Pils, Wolfman, BBS 1, ASD 2, Ikons, Mongoose, Cobras, and many others. Yes the other expensive razors may have the better finish or quality but as far as shave and bang for the buck this takes top honor. Everybody should check it out![Image: ddd27444b712fe9509d01d37b305af76.jpg]!!!!

I just received my Rockwell and I agree with what you have said (I did not get the first release). I have only used the number 4 plate with a polsilver and Simpson cream and got a very good and easy shave.

51 437
 02-10-2016, 12:41 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I have also been using my latest this week- solid shave and do agree that it represents a great value for a SS razor.

The flexibility of the plates and overall quality of shave hit the mark.

2 1,180
 02-10-2016, 02:38 PM
User Info
I actually love my first gen after I swapped it with an EJ89 top cap.  The EJ topcap's shaft is not long enough for all the plates, but the plates I can use provides a great shave.

Still awaiting my replacement but I'm sure I'm gonna love it as well.

Based on what I have (first gen frankinrazor) I still think it's a nice STARTER razor, but for a 'kickstarter' type razor I think the Blackbird still has it beat.

The Blackbird tends to be a bit more aggressive and isn't something I'd recommend to a total newbie, but once you get it, you can get a BBS shave more effortlessly.  As such I think most people will hang on to a Blackbird for longer while the Rockwell may get overlooked.

Kinda of like a EJ89 vs Muhle 41 both great razors, but people tend to graduate from one to the other.

18 654
 02-10-2016, 03:37 PM
User Info
I also love my black bird but you will see once you get the version out now because of the six plates you have more diversity and for $80. The Blackbird is a beautiful razor great quality great favor but also double the price

19 588
 02-10-2016, 03:39 PM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 02:38 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: I actually love my first gen after I swapped it with an EJ89 top cap.  The EJ topcap's shaft is not long enough for all the plates, but the plates I can use provides a great shave.

Still awaiting my replacement but I'm sure I'm gonna love it as well.

Based on what I have (first gen frankinrazor) I still think it's a nice STARTER razor, but for a 'kickstarter' type razor I think the Blackbird still has it beat.

The Blackbird tends to be a bit more aggressive and isn't something I'd recommend to a total newbie, but once you get it, you can get a BBS shave more effortlessly.  As such I think most people will hang on to a Blackbird for longer while the Rockwell may get overlooked.

Kinda of like a EJ89 vs Muhle 41 both great razors, but people tend to graduate from one to the other.
I also love my blackbird but you will see once you get the version out now because of the six plates you have more diversity and for $80. The Blackbird is a beautiful razor great quality great favor but also double the price

19 588
 02-10-2016, 08:08 PM
User Info
The Rockwell is still on pre-order only correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 184
 02-10-2016, 09:36 PM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 08:08 PM)Razor_187 Wrote: The Rockwell is still on pre-order only correct?

No, it is ready now to order

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

19 588
 02-10-2016, 09:42 PM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 09:36 PM)rawfox1 Wrote:
(02-10-2016, 08:08 PM)Razor_187 Wrote: The Rockwell is still on pre-order only correct?

No, it is ready now to order

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Can you provide the link? Thanks.

19 184
 02-10-2016, 10:20 PM
User Info
The Rockwell website has them on pre-order until end of March... Also for those of you that own one, is the entire razor made out of stainless steel? Thanks.

19 184
 02-11-2016, 06:23 AM
User Info
My brother gave me one from the original kickstarter thing. I didn't like it and sold it on eBay.

0 8
 02-11-2016, 07:42 AM
User Info
Spur of the moment purchase (yesterday) for me after going back through the reviews. Then of course I had second thoughts and tried to cancel but it had already been shipped. I'll wait to see what the thing looks like before deciding if I actually want to shave with it or return it. I've become so used to the usual slow plod from waiting list to purchase to having something in hand that it has left me befuddled.

29 1,776
 02-11-2016, 08:06 AM
User Info
(02-11-2016, 07:42 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: Spur of the moment purchase (yesterday) for me after going back through the reviews. Then of course I had second thoughts and tried to cancel but it had already been shipped. I'll wait to see what the thing looks like before deciding if I actually want to shave with it or return it. I've become so used to the usual slow plod from waiting list to purchase to having something in hand that it has left me befuddled.

Well if you don't like it maybe you can sell it here. I'm sure there are a couple of individuals that want it but have to wait... I would be interested...

19 184
 02-11-2016, 08:15 AM
User Info
Good ol' BS&T, v2.0.

29 1,776
 02-13-2016, 07:37 PM
User Info
I read a quick review re: the Rockwell R1/R2 plates vs. the Feather AS-D2. Virtually indistinguishable shave using the same brand blades, with the R2 marginally more efficient. This is good news since I bought the Rockwell to avoid spending loads of money on a Feather while having some wiggle room on aggression if needed -- and there's the R3 if even more is needed. I'll do my own testing upon arrival later this week.

29 1,776
 02-15-2016, 06:18 AM
User Info
I recently acquired a 6S and have found it to be an exceptionally nice razor, especially for the price. Still have to try the R6 plate yet, but the R4 (too mild) R5 (getting there but not quite right) do pretty well and I am certain if I did not have a rather tough beard, they would indeed be the ticket. My comparison here is to a shave using a Muhle R41 (2011) and/or a straight. Both of these require a lot more concentration, but do indeed deliver a very close end result. I'm glad I bought the Rockwell; I'll be keeping it for sure.

0 1