02-10-2016, 04:06 PM
User Info
I would like to hear your favourite presentation among your preferred artisan soap/cream makers.

So sorry, but even though performance is number one priority, at least a decent presentation of the product is key to make me feel good about the product.

I don't need it to be Boellis Panama or Czech & Speak like presentation wise, but just have a solid stellar presentation, that makes the potential buyer feel good about the product.

Another thing all you guys should consider her,e when you say you really don't care about if a shaving soap comes in nice container or one you just throw out and replace it with another better container is the ENVIRONMENT. Why pay money for a soap, that comes in a container, then bin the container, because it's lousy, and use a new one.
When the artisan with just a few extra thoughts can find a container, that has the proper diameter to make loading of the soap easy, has a pretty solid plastic lid and an overall solid plastic quality !
Why sell your shaving soap without just thinking 2 minutes about the presentation and the environment issue ?

When a small artisan like for instance Savon des Volcans Bon Berger and Savonniere du Moulin produce their great little donkey milk ASS soap and one of them use a little unhandy cheap plastic pot for their soap, and the other one, Savonniere du Moulin, use an unhandy gimmicky thin wooden junk container for their shaving soap, knowing 100% that the buyuer first action will be to throw the original container out, they honestly disrespect the environment and the planet as a whole.

Why not spend just 2 minutes on how to use an affordable presentation for your artisan soap, that the buyer most likely will want to keep, instead of just don't caring about these issues at all, and sell your shaving soap in lousy crappy containers, that has to be binned ASAP, then burned - don't you all think we have more than enough pollution as it is ?

I would like to state some examples of artisan soap makers, that make EXTREMELY high performing shaving soaps, and still manage to sell their shaving soaps in high quality containers, some even with ÜBER great presentation, some with just good to great high quality containers:

Caties Bubbles - not a great presentation, but a solid plastic container, labels always (in my 8 cases) aligned and seems to be water proof. In my Top 25 of best shaving soaps out there.
Cold River Soap Works Select - probably among the best presentations among artisans out there. ÛBER GREAT presentation and ÜBER great shaving soap In my Top 10 best shaving soaps in the world.
Tabula Rasa - not the most luxurious presentation, but soap somes in a high quality solid plastic pot, the labels seem professional made. The soap is in my Top 10-Top 5 of best shaving soaps in the world.
Le Pére Lucien - arguable the best quality stainless steel containers I have yet to see. Solid presentation, GREAT shaving soap, in my personal Top 8 best shaving soaps out there.
Esbjerg shaving cream - comes in high quality pots, that reminds me of Tabula Rasa. Nice presentation. GREAT shaving cream.
Baume.Be - in my Top 5 best shaving creams in the world, on par with Esbjerg, or even better. Comes in sturdy glass jar, that really oooooses HIGH QUALITY.
Meißner Tremonia - I own 14 of their soaps and pastes, 7 different scents. They produce a unique scent in almost all their products, and the presentation is nothing short of amazing !!

Mentioning Martin de Candre is a bit out of line, since the product is so relatively expensive.
But really, the presentation reminds me of Baume.be and St. James creams - and they do not cost an arm or an leg.
So it should be possible to present your awesome artisan shaving soap in a great presentation, that makes the buyer want to keep the soap in the original container and not replace the container with something else. Artisan could just list a price for a refill puck, that comes rapped in paper, and then a price for the soap in the container.

The only Saponificio Varesino soaps I have received in a container was the 70.th anniversary, and that presentation is TOP NOTCH.
Why are they not in the list then ?
Because the rest comes in refill pucks, and you have to buy the wooden container as an extra. Now I own 4 of these great looking wooden containers, and they are TOP NOTCH, but I can hardly call their presentation great, when I have to buy the wooden containers as an extra.......or can I ?

24 5,972
 02-10-2016, 04:14 PM
User Info
My three favs
1- Jabonman
2- Cold River
3- SV
[Image: 6bf5c94e2d6debf690d61b28f59fcdcd.jpg]
[Image: bef4ceb54c2ad72c93773efe705c7a99.jpg]
[Image: c9804b37db2d0eb6e0dd4dd8b7f754da.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 02-10-2016, 04:27 PM
User Info
I like the presentation of Soap Commander. The labels are waterproof or resistant (in my experience) and plenty of room to make your lather.

I like Catie's bubbles container, seems high quality. The soap I got had some scratches on the side label but it might have been due to the handling. It was my first Catie's purchase and I find the packaging remarkable.

Dr. John's has a nice tin container, the labels are centered and seems to be water resistant as well. (I haven't used it yet, just my first impressions)

Reef Point. Container looks high quality and the overall motif just works nicely. Overall it seems sophisticated, hence my first soap that I got from them is the Submariner. It reminds me of one my top 5 dream watches.

Mickey Lee's new packaging looks good. Simple and the black lids works pretty well. The label could be a little more cleaner and clearer (Grand Havana) but overall I find the packaging remarkable.

Some RR soaps have a nice package, stackable and has a cover aside from the lid. It's nice however the labels are not that water resistant in my experience.

B&M is okay I guess. My lavanille's packaging wasn't really that special but it's simple and clean, it's kinda pricey though. The label could also be a little more cleaner and clearer. HD?

11 1,169
 02-10-2016, 04:32 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
No surprises from me ClausSmile Cold River Soap Works

Larry puts great effort into presenting his products in a highly professional manner. Sophisticated labeling and quality containers including the best soap tin in the business!

59 4,503
 02-10-2016, 04:35 PM
User Info
My first CRSW is on it's way to me.. this just makes the wait all the more difficult.. haha.

11 1,169
 02-10-2016, 05:11 PM
User Info
Honestly? Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore impressed the hell out of me for $20. Glass jar just like MdC, kraft paper labels, and a hefty 250mL of cream.

On top of all that, it's an excellent product! Smells great, just the right level of cooling, and excellent performance.

16 1,027
 02-10-2016, 07:14 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
CRSW has my vote.

38 5,113
 02-10-2016, 07:18 PM
User Info
Some good thoughts already I will add mine tomorrow when I am not on night shift. Presentation is very important to me but I find there are two distinct styles.

4 642
 02-10-2016, 10:52 PM
User Info
I like the DR Harris wooden bowls for appearance. They could use some more space in order to not make a mess when lathering, but on the shelf I always enjoy the way it looks.

[Image: wiki_asset.php?pid=7052&d=1329886529]

6 752
 02-10-2016, 11:06 PM
User Info
Here are a few recent ones of mine.
  • Newer B&M
  • Any of Saponificio Varesino
  • Scottish Fine Soaps
  • Penhaligon's
EDIT:

Honorable mentions (no photos):
  • RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore
  • Cold River Soap Works
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Le Pere Lucien
  • Baume.Be
  • St. James of London
  • PannaCrema Nuàvia
  • Bufflehead
  • Wooden Bowls (AOS, DR, PEN, TOBS, G.F.T, T&H, etc)
Also, here is more of SV (unboxing) photos of mine. http://imgur.com/a/2RCuE

[Image: OOPAow5.jpg]

[Image: yYhFtDL.jpg]
[Image: XFH3Qfd.jpg]

[Image: 3CU5xvl.jpg]
[Image: 7Ehg8k4.jpg]

[Image: 3J2vPx9.jpg]

28 349
 02-10-2016, 11:24 PM
User Info
Although I usually give lots of comments that are on the positive end of the spectrum in the forums, this strikes me as funny. Not that the thread is bad, but because every single one of my favorite soaps have some issue with their packaging. For now I will refrain from the negative but I will say that I do have 5 alder wood bowls from SV. Biggrin

79 1,341
 02-11-2016, 12:32 AM
  • max1ci6
  • Ancona, Italy
User Info
Best presentation I saw .

Meisner Tremonia 
Pannacrema Nuavia

0 1,076
 02-11-2016, 04:31 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
One gent is responsible for the Haslinger family soap production in Vienna from start to finish. They consider the soaps to be artisan. 

After 25 years of wet shaving this is the finest presentation to my eyes. 
[Image: IJtt92a.jpg]

42 1,041
 02-11-2016, 05:03 AM
User Info
(02-11-2016, 12:32 AM)max1ci6 Wrote: Best presentation I saw .

Meisner Tremonia 
Pannacrema Nuavia

I agree with Pannacrema Nuavia.  They are the finest artisan products I own from top to bottom, including their brilliant packaging.

1 468
 02-11-2016, 06:14 AM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 10:52 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I like the DR Harris wooden bowls for appearance. They could use some more space in order to not make a mess when lathering, but on the shelf I always enjoy the way it looks.

[Image: wiki_asset.php?pid=7052&d=1329886529]

Agreed, DR Harris has excellent presentation, but you can hardly call them an artisan soap maker, now can you ?

I own all 6 scented DR Harris soaps in the mahogany bowl, they are excellent.

24 5,972
 02-11-2016, 06:17 AM
User Info
(02-10-2016, 11:06 PM)TomTomTuning Wrote: Here are a few recent ones of mine.

• Newer B&M
  • Any of Saponificio Varesino
  • Scottish Fine Soaps
  • Penhaligon's

Honorable mentions (no photos):
  • RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore
  • Cold River Soap Works
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Le Pere Lucien
  • Baume.Be
  • St. James of London
  • Wooden Bowls (AOS, DR, PEN, TOBS, G.F.T, T&H, etc)
EDIT: Here is more of SV (unboxing) photos of mine. http://imgur.com/a/2RCuE

[Image: OOPAow5.jpg]

[Image: yYhFtDL.jpg]
[Image: XFH3Qfd.jpg]

[Image: 3CU5xvl.jpg]
[Image: 7Ehg8k4.jpg]

[Image: 3J2vPx9.jpg]

Tom, I agree that Penhaligon has excellent presentation, bu do you consider penhaligon to be an artisan.......... Hmm....hardly.......  Winky

24 5,972
 02-11-2016, 06:23 AM
User Info
(02-11-2016, 04:31 AM)VTMAX Wrote: One gent is responsible for the Haslinger family soap production in Vienna from start to finish. They consider the soaps to be artisan. 

After 25 years of wet shaving this is the finest presentation to my eyes. 
[Image: IJtt92a.jpg]

Because Haslinger shaving soaps are so affordable and at the same time a great performing tallow soap, I have lots of respect for them.
But their presentation is rather basic stripped down - you can't even get them with a container...........so they are OUT IMHO

24 5,972
 02-11-2016, 06:26 AM
User Info
(02-11-2016, 06:17 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Tom, I agree that Penhaligon has excellent presentation, bu do you consider penhaligon to be an artisan.......... Hmm....hardly.......  Winky
You're absolutely right. Sorry about that. Wink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 349
 02-11-2016, 06:58 AM
User Info
You guys are responsible for me staying up until three in the morning until my eyes bled, searching for packaging alternatives.  Just saying.  Wink

0 280
 02-11-2016, 07:27 AM
User Info
I am huge presentation man, there is some great packaging out there. You only need to look at B&M recent offering Night Music to see how sleek and professional they can be.

I think there is two very different types:

There is the Sleek, Slick and classy packaging style which people such as Cold River Soaps fall in to along with Barrister and Mann.

Second to this you have the more fun colourful packaging, people like Shaver Heaven and Caties Bubbles fall into this one.

I personally prefer the first type, I don't know why I just seem to warm to it more. However the second type is still very good but if you get it wrong it can come across as tacky.

For Michelle, Your tubs might not be the most exciting and slick but they are simple, clean looking and come with great water proof labels. Although great looking tubs/tins/bowls are awesome it also pushes cost up, which in some cases isn't the best thing.

4 642