02-10-2016, 08:54 PM
User Info
Good day to all,

Just wanted to share my experience with stropping DE blades. I had an extra strop laying around and used it to replace my leather strop on my rolls razor. Had some leather left over and cut a small piece to try to strop a DE blade. Always wanted to try it because I notice certain blade brands are not consistently smooth, so my goal was not to extend the life of the blade but rather get smoother shaves. I figure I strop my straight razor to realign the sharp edge but by default also get a smooth edge so wanted to apply that concept to a DE blade. I know this is not a new idea but I have to say it made all the difference. Super smooth shave and no nicks or irritation, I mean it was night and day.

So all I did was just place the piece of leather on the table and grabbed the DE blade with my index finger and thumb. Having my thumb on top and index finger on the leather. Holding the DE blade just above the slit in the middle. Ensure to drag the blade across the leather with the sharp edge on the backside. See pictures below... I usually do anywhere between 10 to 20 strokes on each side. Anyways, had great shaves with this method. Hope some of you try it if you haven't already. Let me know what you guys think. If you have a better way of stropping them, let me know (other than twinplex or something similar). With this method you can control the leather quality along with the pressure applied. Thanks for reading.... [Image: 47cc5111d4415e86cc9c13687d0bb76e.jpg][Image: 398438c7dc45ce293a22b23a10926f2d.jpg][Image: 1da166c42c4c7198f2f475fbd8f92350.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 180
 02-10-2016, 10:24 PM
User Info
Cool, I've never tried, but it makes sense. I contimplated doing this with a SE blade today. Do you bend the blade a little when you strop? The angle seems steep, like you would roll or dull the edge.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6 84
 02-11-2016, 05:49 AM
User Info
I've tried stropping DE and GEM SE blades. Mostly for experimentation since the price of DE blades are low. I tried using this ceramic sharpener and just received a nice leather strop from Mexico.
Even tried a very fine sharpening paper using to polish Fiber optic ends and  old denim but all to no avail. I'm sure the issue is more my lack of technique vs the material used.

[Image: SW9lB9m.jpg]

5 267
 02-11-2016, 08:54 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I do it on an old pair of jeans with all my vintage blades, before their first use, mainly because " you never know ".

7 2,279
 02-11-2016, 03:19 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I strop mine with my palm.  I just put the blade in the razor and I rub it across my palm (in the not cutting direction, obviously).  I'm not sure if it extends or shortens the blade life, but it definitely smooths out the coating. I do this before the first use and after each shave.

3 529
 02-11-2016, 03:37 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
If dragging a blade against skin initially strops a blade so will leather. But 10-20 times is approaching multiple shaves with a resultant dulling.

2 3,171
 02-12-2016, 12:17 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I think the best method is BUTT Stropping...saw it done on The Kardashians TV show.....only thing required is a large butt. Biggrin

6 1,994
 02-12-2016, 04:07 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(02-12-2016, 12:17 PM)Harvey Wrote: I think the best method is BUTT Stropping...saw it done on The Kardashians TV show.....only thing required is a large butt. Biggrin

Good way to lose a few tucks.

7 2,279