02-11-2016, 11:23 AM
User Info
I am sure this is a very debated topic.  Should I flick my brush and let it stand or should I hang it from a brush stand?  I would like to see if I get any responses because I want to post my opinion which could be lengthy.  I own 9 brushes (an additional 2 on the way) all of which are badger.  I know nothing about boar or horse hair.  Synthetic brushes are actually plastic bristles that of course, do not absorb water.  So, what are your thoughts?

0 253
 02-11-2016, 11:27 AM
User Info
Practically. Normally I leave brushes on its base after first flicking it out. 

Some i have in stands with bristles down for space reasons. I can mount these stands on the wall to save counter space or alternate them knot up and knot down to have the brushes packed closer without the knots pressing on each other.

18 655
 02-11-2016, 11:28 AM
User Info
Whichever floats your boat! Biggrin

75 2,321
 02-11-2016, 11:43 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have alway hung my bristles down but I know other who set them on the shelf bristles up.  As Nathan say, whatever floats your boat.

179 23,946
 02-11-2016, 12:33 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I thought your thread title referred to our options after November. If you have a brush menagerie some of the wheel affairs posted are attractive.
I've read past posts that delved into the evaporative properties of water, the marketing evils of brush stand holder makers and other deep, philosophical debates worthy of the Greek classics.
Does it matter? Swift posed this in his cracking of eggs satire. I personally stand mine up. I don't have a holder and they would just tumble over if I set them hair side down. Trust me, I tried.

2 3,171
 02-11-2016, 01:44 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I hang them bristles down until the next  shave when they go back into hibernation on their base on a shelf and one of their brothers is used to slather lather on my mug.

9 462
 02-11-2016, 02:32 PM
User Info
Either way is fine.  There are prior threads on this if you want to review those.  I gently shake excess water from my brush, then gently strop it on a towel, then stand it up to dry.  I'm not aware of any benefit from hanging the brush upside down.

51 6,454
 02-11-2016, 02:51 PM
User Info
Some recommend hanging the badger brush, usually the companies that suggest hanging the badger brush, also sell stands for brushes (wink wink wink.....you get the point) 

Some recommend standing the brush on its base after usage.

As long as you shake and wipe it dry after usage, it doesn't matter whether it hangs or stands.

I place my all my brushes on their feet after usage these days.

24 6,021
 02-11-2016, 03:06 PM
User Info
Since you're planning on posting after we do and I have an ingrained reluctance to walk into an ambush I'll wait for you to post before I tell you what I do. Though what I do is a matter of record (I think).

There is scientific evidence to support both and I don't trust the "brush flicking" that you referred to. I dry my brushes far better than that before they move further.

32 6,472
 02-11-2016, 03:10 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
It really doesn't matter.  I hang my brush after using it, but that's only because I have a handsome looking shiny chrome brush stand for a razor and brush, which looks very nice on the bathroom counter.  After using my brush I thoroughly rinse it, give it a good shake and towel it gently; this applies to my badger, boar, horse and synthetic brushes.

7 938
 02-11-2016, 03:11 PM
  • skeptik
  • The Piedmont, VA
User Info
After rinsing well, a light shake or two and rub across a dry towel, I hang the brush hair down using a stand.  When brushmakers like Rudy Vey and Shavemac recommend hanging the brush hair down, I don't question, I just follow their instructions.  Makes no sense to me to not take the experts' advice.

0 295
 02-11-2016, 03:33 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
[Image: co2niW5.jpg] [Image: 0RXtfnR.jpg][Image: AXheQUw.jpg][Image: 0e1jVhx.jpg][Image: ROylT7f.jpg]follow Nature when in doubt[Image: pOLjUN5.jpg]

2 3,171
 02-11-2016, 03:38 PM
User Info
(02-11-2016, 03:33 PM)kav Wrote: [Image: co2niW5.jpg] [Image: 0RXtfnR.jpg][Image: AXheQUw.jpg][Image: 0e1jVhx.jpg][Image: ROylT7f.jpg]follow Nature when in doubt[Image: pOLjUN5.jpg]

I agree completely!  Excellent Post.

Stanley

2 155
 02-11-2016, 06:12 PM
User Info
2 words: Capillary Action

31 8,058
 02-11-2016, 06:26 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
Team Stand, stand up!

10 759
 02-11-2016, 06:35 PM
User Info
I must admit I am surprised.  I just assumed that there would be some serious thoughts regarding which way is better.  it seems that there is not.  And that it does not matter either way.  I was not a member in November or when there were threads regarding this issue.  So, I will not go ant further.  I flick and stand up.  Thank you all for your time.

0 253
 02-11-2016, 07:14 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
FOR SALE  One ACME COYOTE HAIR shaving brush. PM if you hang or stand your present collection and I will assure you I do the same. Make offer.
BEEP BEEP

2 3,171
 02-11-2016, 07:40 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-11-2016, 06:35 PM)Tidepool Wrote: I just assumed that there would be some serious thoughts regarding which way is better.  it seems that there is not.  And that it does not matter either way. 

Respectfully, the data — in this thread that you started — does not support your conclusions.  I am not saying that your conclusions are wrong.  But do not put that burden on the responses posted in this thread.

1 1,110
 02-11-2016, 08:01 PM
User Info
I leave mine in a jar full of barbecide well submerged. Especially the wood or horn handled ones.

Sometimes I use my wife's blow dryer on high to cook em real good too. 

Unless I'm traveling. In that case I encase them sopping wet in a tightly sealed old prescription bottle and leave them in my dopp kit until my next trip. Usually a few months. 

Tongue

Seriously though I don't think it matters if you hang or stand. I fill up the brush hangers I do own. The rest of my brushes stand on a shelf. They all work the same after. They all dry just as fast.

My only really strong opinion on brushes, which I wish someone would have explained to me some time ago, is this. 
You need more than one brush as allowing your brushes to completely dry between use prolongs their useful life and greatly avoids issues like mold and premature shedding.

10 1,460
 02-11-2016, 08:05 PM
User Info
Clearly, the correct answer is on its side! Wink

[Image: menbvzK.jpg]

29 1,210