02-11-2016, 11:34 PM
User Info
Which are good ones to add to the den?

10 1,149
 02-12-2016, 12:08 AM
User Info
This is a science experiment I have going on. I have noticed the soaps with a variety of herbs will help the complexion of my skin. It is a bit silly to say after I previously scoffing at people at people who say one scent of the same soap works better than others offered in a line. But if a soap maker is using high grade essential oils, I believe it does have the potential to affect the skin in a positive way. It should be apparent since some oils, fragrance and essential, can irritate the skin to the point where it is visually apparent.

79 1,298
 02-12-2016, 12:30 AM
User Info
(02-12-2016, 12:08 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: This is a science experiment I have going on. I have noticed the soaps with a variety of herbs will help the complexion of my skin. It is a bit silly to say after I previously scoffing at people at people who say one scent of the same soap works better than others offered in a line. But if a soap maker is using high grade essential oils, I believe it does have the potential to affect the skin in a positive way. It should be apparent since some oils, fragrance and essential, can irritate the skin to the point where it is visually apparent.

Great response. Any soaps at the top of your list?

10 1,149
 02-12-2016, 02:38 AM
User Info
i want to be 20 years again  Cool

0 50
 02-12-2016, 03:37 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
(02-12-2016, 02:38 AM)Campos Wrote: i want to be 20 years again  Cool

..........ha!

44 1,063
 02-12-2016, 04:14 AM
User Info
I actually find that Mystic Waters makes my skin feel and look great for longer after the shave than most.

4 642
 02-12-2016, 04:54 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

"Grasshopper....you must seek the ASSMILK......"

Savon des Volcans (Savon du bon Berger) and Savon du Moulin are 2 French vegan soaps that are standouts in this category. They are superb soaps all around but REALLY shine in skin conditioning.

159 1,319
 02-12-2016, 05:24 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Also, Savon de Volcans for me. The donkey milk does an excellent job, rejuvenates the skin!

49 1,940
 02-12-2016, 05:25 AM
User Info
I find both Mickey Lee Soapworks and Proraso Blue seem to leave my face looking and feeling the best.

0 9
 02-12-2016, 06:44 AM
User Info
For my skin the best that I've used so far is Beaver Woodwright. My face feels great after I shave with it, enough that I have a couple more tubs incoming. It actually knocked MLSW and Catie's out of my top spots. Haven't found that killer scent for me yet, but I'm actively searching for it. Cool

5 49
 02-12-2016, 08:14 AM
User Info
(02-12-2016, 12:30 AM)1Geralt Wrote:
(02-12-2016, 12:08 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: This is a science experiment I have going on. I have noticed the soaps with a variety of herbs will help the complexion of my skin. It is a bit silly to say after I previously scoffing at people at people who say one scent of the same soap works better than others offered in a line. But if a soap maker is using high grade essential oils, I believe it does have the potential to affect the skin in a positive way. It should be apparent since some oils, fragrance and essential, can irritate the skin to the point where it is visually apparent.

Great response. Any soaps at the top of your list?

I guess I did forget to add that part to my post A6

Dolomiti by Saponificio Varesino and Intense Traditional by Le Pére Lucien. These both have some herbs that provide to the scent but based on the way they make more skin look and feel, I believe that the included scents affect my skin for the positive.

What kind of skin to you have?

79 1,298
 02-12-2016, 09:37 AM
User Info
I really wish I could find the magic formula for this.  My skin tends to breakout if I use certain soaps.  The ones that my skin seems to get along best with, in no order:

Shave Sticks:
LEA
Speick

Soft Soaps:
Proraso Green

Hard Soaps:
MWF
l'occitane Cade

Aftershave Lotions:
Anything Aqua Velva
Proraso Green Splash

Balms:
Myrsol Emulsion
Proraso Green Balm

I still use other things, mainly because I like the scent.  If I do use the other things for more than one day, I get tons of blemishes on my chin.  I can use anything on this list day after day and I stay fairly clear.  

It has taken me almost 3 years to come up with this list.  Lots of trial and error!  I've often said that I should just stick with the Proraso since it seems to work so well for me.  It just gets boring after a few days.

21 555
 02-12-2016, 09:02 PM
User Info
@Zack, I have oily and sensitive skin. I still stay away from alcohol based splashes though. I will look into SV soaps, thank you for the suggestion Smile

Great insights gentlemen, I'm curious how do you guys feel about Strop Shoppe? With it's cocoa and shea butter, tallow and lanolin? 

I also liked Catie's bubbles performance but reading it's ingredients, it doesn't really show me a lot of goodies for the skin. Too bad it was really one of the best performers ever in my experience, but I'm looking for something that is also really good for the skin.

Assmilk is kinda pricey but looks like I have to get this first before I try LPL and MDC.

10 1,149
 02-13-2016, 06:49 AM
User Info
ABC
Savonnerie du bon Berger (stick)
SMN
Al's
Beaver Woodwright
Midnight & Two
LPL

36 886
 02-13-2016, 08:37 AM
User Info
Ziegen Bart soap followed by the Prinz Charming balm, found at The Superior Shave, leaves my skin feeling incredibly soft after a shave.

0 67
 02-13-2016, 05:42 PM
User Info
(02-12-2016, 09:02 PM)1Geralt Wrote: @Zack, I have oily and sensitive skin. I still stay away from alcohol based splashes though. I will look into SV soaps, thank you for the suggestion Smile

Great insights gentlemen, I'm curious how do you guys feel about Strop Shoppe? With it's cocoa and shea butter, tallow and lanolin? 

I also liked Catie's bubbles performance but reading it's ingredients, it doesn't really show me a lot of goodies for the skin. Too bad it was really one of the best performers ever in my experience, but I'm looking for something that is also really good for the skin.

Assmilk is kinda pricey but looks like I have to get this first before I try LPL and MDC.

The best cheapest soaps for the skin I've tried are mystic waters and B&M Latha.  Both perform in the same league as my most expensive soaps and they cost 11 bucks for 4 oz.

11 967
 02-13-2016, 05:54 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My horses were always on open pasture. I had other horsepeople upset their horses' coats actually looked worse than mine; what with being stabled with blankets and prime alfalfa and supplements with weekly baths using fancy conditioners.
The secret? Grazing animals selectively eat plants with health benefits from warding off internal parasites to providing micronutrients  lacking in a monoculture feed.
Soaps with various herbal ingredients can pass on the same benefits by chance or deliberation.
I love SdM. It saves me the bother of picking dandelions etc to chew on when the neighbors are watching.

2 3,171
 02-13-2016, 06:48 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
I'll have to say the best skin feeling soaps I've tried are cold River soap works and Savon du mulin

23 598
 02-13-2016, 07:04 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(02-13-2016, 05:54 PM)kav Wrote: My horses were always on open pasture. I had other horsepeople upset their horses' coats actually looked worse than mine; what with being stabled with blankets and prime alfalfa and supplements with weekly baths using fancy conditioners.
The secret? Grazing animals selectively eat plants with health benefits from warding off internal parasites to providing micronutrients  lacking in a monoculture feed.
Soaps with various herbal ingredients can pass on the same benefits by chance or deliberation.
I love SdM. It saves me the bother of picking dandelions etc to chew on when the neighbors are watching.

I love SdM, and chewing on dandelions.  Biggrin

38 5,036
 02-13-2016, 07:25 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
(02-13-2016, 07:04 PM)evnpar Wrote:
(02-13-2016, 05:54 PM)kav Wrote: My horses were always on open pasture. I had other horsepeople upset their horses' coats actually looked worse than mine; what with being stabled with blankets and prime alfalfa and supplements with weekly baths using fancy conditioners.

I love SdM, and chewing on dandelions.  Biggrin

Me too!

Cheers, Steve

7 471