02-13-2016, 02:32 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'm contemplating replacing a sold and now missed Pils razor.

The 118NL seems like the best of both worlds when considering polished vs brushed.

I was wondering if any members own(ed) one. If so, I'd love to see some pics as the Pils website doesn't really go to any great lengths to showcase their razors.

99 18,011
 02-13-2016, 05:12 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
This is the Pils I own, Ben  Biggrin

Unfortunately, I am useless to you right now as I can't find any photos, and the razor is part of my shaving gear that I put in storage until we purchase another house, so I cannot access it  Blush

I sold my all-polished Pils (101NL) to acquire this one, and it was definitely the right decision for me.  My only gripe with the 101NL was the part of the handle that is held being polished, and it would occasionally slip from my grip-- the 118NL solves that.  The matte finish is very well done and found only on the part of the handle that you hold, with the rest of the razor being polished.  For me, this is the perfect Pils and THE one to get...but that is certainly my biased perspective  Tongue

I will look through my inventory of pics and hopefully stumble on one, in which case I will be sure to post it.  Hopefully other members will chime in as well.

34 1,628
 02-13-2016, 05:17 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thank-you for your input Giorgio - exactly what I was after!

99 18,011
 02-13-2016, 05:51 AM
User Info
(02-13-2016, 05:12 AM)Giorgio Wrote: This is the Pils I own, Ben  Biggrin

Unfortunately, I am useless to you right now as I can't find any photos, and the razor is part of my shaving gear that I put in storage until we purchase another house, so I cannot access it  Blush

I sold my all-polished Pils (101NL) to acquire this one, and it was definitely the right decision for me.  My only gripe with the 101NL was the part of the handle that is held being polished, and it would occasionally slip from my grip-- the 118NL solves that.  The matte finish is very well done and found only on the part of the handle that you hold, with the rest of the razor being polished.  For me, this is the perfect Pils and THE one to get...but that is certainly my biased perspective  Tongue

I will look through my inventory of pics and hopefully stumble on one, in which case I will be sure to post it.  Hopefully other members will chime in as well.

Agreed with your assessment .

Ben, did you look into to resin one ?

I went for black resin one and liked it a lot. Maybe I will order one matte/polished next.

Grigio My friend , you can store all your shaving inventory at my place . Happy to use while you find home to keep the rust away :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 02-13-2016, 05:58 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Any recommendation as to vendors? 

It seems this model may only be available direct from Pils.

99 18,011
 02-13-2016, 06:07 AM
User Info
I have one that i ordered straight from Pils.  I took about 4 weeks to arrive, my guess is they polish after order are placed and that might take extra time.

Once it arrived what caught my attention right away was how subtle the difference between the polished and brushed sections are. Not in a bad way, just something I expected it would be more noticeable. 

Here are a couple of pics from my phone. Unfortunately I am without my slr for a few more weeks.

2 59
 02-13-2016, 06:10 AM
User Info
 02-13-2016, 06:14 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Have Toby make you this Ben-
[Image: Gxy1S86.jpg]

143 1,984
 02-13-2016, 06:17 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Yes the Triad Pils would be my choice, but I believe Toby isn't accepting orders anymore...

99 18,011
 02-13-2016, 06:18 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(02-13-2016, 06:07 AM)helmut Wrote: I have one that i ordered straight from Pils.  I took about 4 weeks to arrive, my guess is they polish after order are placed and that might take extra time.

Once it arrived what caught my attention right away was how subtle the difference between the polished and brushed sections are. Not in a bad way, just something I expected it would be more noticeable. 

Here are a couple of pics from my phone. Unfortunately I am without my slr for a few more weeks.

Thanks for the pics, I'm now actually not so sure about the subtle contrast...

99 18,011
 02-13-2016, 06:19 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(02-13-2016, 05:51 AM)Cricket203 Wrote:

Agreed with your  assessment .

I went for black resin one and liked it a lot. Maybe I will order one matte/polished next.

Grigio My friend , you can store all your shaving inventory at my place . Happy to use while you find home to keep the rust away :-)

Any chance of a pic of your black Pils Mustafa?

99 18,011
 02-13-2016, 06:32 AM
User Info
(02-13-2016, 06:18 AM)ben74 Wrote: A
(02-13-2016, 06:07 AM)helmut Wrote: I have one that i ordered straight from Pils.  I took about 4 weeks to arrive, my guess is they polish after order are placed and that might take extra time.

My thinking is a good camera with good lighting may bring out the contrast in a nice way, but we see

2 59
 02-13-2016, 06:34 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(02-13-2016, 06:32 AM)helmut Wrote:
(02-13-2016, 06:18 AM)ben74 Wrote: A

My thinking is a good camera with good lighting may bring out the contrast in a nice way, but we see

Nothing wrong with your pics, I just prefer more contrast between the surfaces.

99 18,011
 02-13-2016, 07:01 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(02-13-2016, 05:51 AM)Cricket203 Wrote: Grigio My friend , you can store all your shaving inventory at my place . Happy to use while you find home to keep the rust away :-)

Ha ha...I wish that were possible...all that stuff is in a pod in Newark, DE  Sad 

(02-13-2016, 06:18 AM)ben74 Wrote: Thanks for the pics, I'm now actually not so sure about the subtle contrast...

Ben, your observation isn't far off--the contrast is indeed minimal.  It is there, and you can certainly feel it while holding the razor and see it up close, but if you are specifically looking for contrast, you might be better off taking Mustafa's advice as there is a definite contrast on the resin one.  

In regards to purchase, I bought directly from the Pils website.  While you may find it slightly cheaper on BST and maybe from other vendors, I have not found that difference to be significant.  If I remember correctly, it took approximately 3 weeks from the time I ordered until it arrived in my hands.

34 1,628
 02-13-2016, 07:32 AM
User Info
(02-13-2016, 06:19 AM)ben74 Wrote:
(02-13-2016, 05:51 AM)Cricket203 Wrote:

Agreed with your  assessment .

Any chance of a pic of your black Pils Mustafa?

Black resin has a matter finish head. Perfect balance and not heavy.

Bought direct from Pils.

[Image: dec7d70f607bf4b8207e659497f72b61.jpg]

61 3,072
 02-13-2016, 07:38 AM
User Info
(02-13-2016, 06:14 AM)Shanman Wrote: Have Toby make you this Ben-

This makes me think of Thor's hammer! Smile
Very nice!

147 3,539
 02-19-2016, 08:36 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I have a 118NL en route...

99 18,011
 02-20-2016, 12:21 AM
User Info
Is this a sleeve that goes over the original handle or a replacement handle? If it's a replacement, how does one get the original handle off?

Enviado do meu telégrafo usando Tapatalk.

0 163
 02-20-2016, 01:00 PM
User Info
(02-20-2016, 12:21 AM)cegadede Wrote:
Is this a sleeve that goes over the original handle or a replacement handle? If it's a replacement, how does one get the original handle off?

Good question Toby told me there is a bushing he knows how to take off and replace that hold the handle to bottom plate

0 82
 02-23-2016, 07:03 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
(02-20-2016, 01:00 PM)fl_guy Wrote:
(02-20-2016, 12:21 AM)cegadede Wrote:

Good question Toby told me there is a bushing he knows how to take off and replace that hold the handle to bottom plate

The bushing is basically a male screw that has female threads tapped in the head of it. The main screw goes into the handle and secures the rotating baseplate to the handle. The threads tapped in the top of the screw accepts the stud of the top cap. The bushing comes in two flavors I've seen- one is a flat head screw, the other an allen head.

143 1,984