02-13-2016, 05:45 AM
User Info
I have only been honing a few months and I purchaded my stones used and have used them with a fair amount of success but I recently sold them all off to simplify my process and also step up in quality some.

went from this:

Naniwa's 1/5K, Suehiro 8K Shapton 12/16K, JNAT finisher with various tomonagura's

[Image: HCSll1y.jpg]

To this:

Chosera 1K, Shapton GS 4/8, Nakayama-Okudo JNATS

[Image: kbyP0dM.jpg]
Should streamline my process and the Shaptons are very nice stones, never really used the 12/16's having the JNATS so honestly won't miss them.

6 1,399
 02-13-2016, 06:23 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
That's similar to what I use, Shapton Pros in 2k and 5k, followed by JNat finisher, most of the time with koma and then tomonagura. I have a Shapton Glass 8k HC (gray) on the way to test out. I usually flatten with sandpaper on plate glass. For the rough stuff, a Shapton Pro 320 and double thick 500 HR Glass.

Cheers, Steve

7 540
 02-13-2016, 06:38 AM
User Info
Steve,

I thought about going with the HC series but the Rep at Sharpening supplies suggested I go with the HR series as I have a few stainless razors and he said the HC are not the best thing to use with stainless, i have thought about getting a asano set (Botan, Tenjyou and Mejiro) but figure I can keep it simplier with a DN #600 slurry and then just use a tomo, i have some that pull mostly from the nagura and some that pull mostly from the base stone.

6 1,399
 02-13-2016, 07:14 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Started with and stayed with Naniwa Super Stones, 1K, 3K, 8K and 12K followed by a pasted crox strop. I have a hard time convincing myself to change anything when it all works well for me.

Bob

0 1,694
 02-13-2016, 08:52 AM
User Info
Thanks for posting your before and after sequence.  As the saying goes, all roads lead to Rome, so it's great that you've found what works for you.  For me it depends on my situation and my mood.

For water-stones, I've been pretty happy with the following set-up:

Suehiro 1k/3k combo
Coticule (slurry to water) or Inigo Jones "Dragon's Tongue" Welsh slate (slurry to water)
red-pasted loom strop or black mottled Thuringian.

For oil-stones, it's the following:

Norton/Behr-Manning no. 1 Washita
Cretan, or so-called Turkey stone
mottled Vermont slate.

0 67
 02-13-2016, 12:57 PM
User Info
(02-13-2016, 08:52 AM)Alum of Potash Wrote: Thanks for posting your before and after sequence.  As the saying goes, all roads lead to Rome, so it's great that you've found what works for you.  For me it depends on my situation and my mood.

For water-stones, I've been pretty happy with the following set-up:

Suehiro 1k/3k combo
Coticule (slurry to water) or Inigo Jones "Dragon's Tongue" Welsh slate (slurry to water)
red-pasted loom strop or black mottled Thuringian.

For oil-stones, it's the following:

Norton/Behr-Manning no. 1 Washita
Cretan, or so-called Turkey stone
mottled Vermont slate.

Tried a few different coticules and never really caught on, started with a La Grise which was not the best to start with as they are tough stones to master then picked up another select coti and never seemed to get hooked up with that either, Gary Haywod the coti master ID'ed it as a possible La Grise..go figure so I accidently found out about JNAT's when I sent out a razor to Doc226 for a scale restotration and he honed on a JNAT prior to sending back and the shave was superb, I do have an Arkie that i have had for many years but use it for pocket knives and never considered using it on a razor.

I figure we all go to the store and some take different routes but I am always looking to improve so maybe I can take a beater and run it over the Arkie

6 1,399
 02-13-2016, 06:17 PM
User Info
Awesome stones you have.

0 413
 02-14-2016, 08:52 AM
User Info
I'm trying to get into the JNAT thing, but so far my coticules are so much more comfortable than anything I can produce off of the japanese natural.  I think my skin just prefers that mellow edge compared to the high-grit sharpness.

16 250
 02-14-2016, 05:51 PM
User Info
(02-14-2016, 08:52 AM)explodyii Wrote: I'm trying to get into the JNAT thing, but so far my coticules are so much more comfortable than anything I can produce off of the japanese natural.  I think my skin just prefers that mellow edge compared to the high-grit sharpness.

I honestly need to revisit the coticule but I need to find an easy one to start with.

6 1,399
 02-14-2016, 09:12 PM
User Info
(02-14-2016, 05:51 PM)Panther308 Wrote:
(02-14-2016, 08:52 AM)explodyii Wrote: I'm trying to get into the JNAT thing, but so far my coticules are so much more comfortable than anything I can produce off of the japanese natural.  I think my skin just prefers that mellow edge compared to the high-grit sharpness.

I honestly need to revisit the coticule but I need to find an easy one to start with.

La Verte is easiest to use for me.  Doesn't require you to do much at all really.  I'd start with that and if you like it, move on to a La Veinette, Les Latneuses, La Dressante or something.  Just steer clear of La Grise as a starter, those are the most inconsistent and finicky for me.

That said, I find it is the least "coticule-like" of the veins I've tried.  Pinnacle of it for me is LGB, but those are just so darn hard to come by!

16 250
 02-15-2016, 05:56 AM
User Info
(02-14-2016, 09:12 PM)explodyii Wrote:
(02-14-2016, 05:51 PM)Panther308 Wrote:

La Verte is easiest to use for me.  Doesn't require you to do much at all really.  I'd start with that and if you like it, move on to a La Veinette, Les Latneuses, La Dressante or something.  Just steer clear of La Grise as a starter, those are the most inconsistent and finicky for me.

That said, I find it is the least "coticule-like" of the veins I've tried.  Pinnacle of it for me is LGB, but those are just so darn hard to come by!

Well i pretty much started with a La Grise and had no luck then I purchased another select from an unknown vein and Gary Haywood later ID'ed as more than likely a La Grise so two strikes against me, I sold them both and recouped about 95% of my investment and put those funds towards a Okudo Asagi Tomae and have had great success but honestly would like to add a decent coticule to my bag just to mix things up.

6 1,399