02-13-2016, 09:17 AM
User Info
I have been looking at a couple of OneBlade razor threads here.  As it appears to take a dedicated blade, I am wondering if there is a similar type razor that would take 1/2 a DE blade, sort of like some of the shavettes do, but on a SE-style razor.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

0 67
 02-13-2016, 09:21 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-13-2016, 09:17 AM)Alum of Potash Wrote: I have been looking at a couple of OneBlade razor threads here.  As it appears to take a dedicated blade, I am wondering if there is a similar type razor that would take 1/2 a DE blade, sort of like some of the shavettes do, but on a SE-style razor.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I guess you could always put tape on the other side of a DE. Tongue

One reason people go for an SE razor is for a more rigid blade. I do not think there would be much of a market for an SE razor that takes half a DE...I just do not see any advantages.

46 18,091
 02-13-2016, 09:46 AM
User Info
Rocnel, producing in March a SE/DE razor in stainless steel for $25. They have a website & Instagram.

31 8,056
 02-13-2016, 09:47 AM
User Info
(02-13-2016, 09:21 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(02-13-2016, 09:17 AM)Alum of Potash Wrote: I have been looking at a couple of OneBlade razor threads here.  As it appears to take a dedicated blade, I am wondering if there is a similar type razor that would take 1/2 a DE blade, sort of like some of the shavettes do, but on a SE-style razor.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I guess you could always put tape on the other side of a DE. Tongue

One reason people go for an SE razor is for a more rigid blade. I do not think there would be much of a market for an SE razor that takes half a DE...I just do not see any advantages.

I agree Phil, yet I know of two in the works currently. One of which is getting ready to release next month.

31 8,056
 02-13-2016, 11:16 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
It will be interesting to see if there is a market for SE design using DE blades.

59 4,389
 02-13-2016, 01:11 PM
User Info
The Golf 71 and the beluga (in project for years now) take a DE blade and use one side as a SE. I considered the Golf 71 but those that have used it were not very impressed so I didn't pull the trigger.

8 1,067
 02-13-2016, 02:52 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I have a hard time finding purpose in only using one side of a DE blade. May as well build the razor around a more rigid SE blade offering. One could only know by shaving with it I guess. So many new razors coming out...

59 4,389
 02-13-2016, 05:10 PM
User Info
(02-13-2016, 02:52 PM)eengler Wrote: I have a hard time finding purpose in only using one side of a DE blade. May as well build the razor around a more rigid SE blade offering. One could only know by shaving with it I guess. So many new razors coming out...

Agree.. Seems pointless to me! Why not use both sides as its intended to be used?? Unless there is an advantage to in securing half a DE blade V's whole blade?!!

10 770
 02-13-2016, 07:43 PM
User Info
Consider the Shake Sharp. It is a single edge razor that uses a DE blade. The entire blade is loaded, and after the first side becomes dull, the blade is reversed and the other side is used. It is similar to the Golf 71 in principal but of much higher quality construction.

I was recently introduced to these by a friend on another forum, and to say I was blown away would be putting it mildly.

As a dedicated SE user I was initially skeptical, but this thing just flat-out shaves. The self-sharpening feature is useless on modern stainless steel blades (and was probably a gimmick to begin with), but it doesn't change the fact that loaded with a Feather blade it shaves as well as any razor out there.

Now the bad news: They were produced during the 1940's and never really caught on. Thus they can be expensive and hard to find.

--Bob

0 185
 02-13-2016, 08:41 PM
User Info
Thanks for the replies.  My initial query stemmed from my impression after looking at a photo of the dedicated blade for the OneBlade: it looked like a vamped up DE half-blade; yet a DE half-blade would be far more ubiquitous, if installed in a similarly designed blade housing.

0 67
 02-13-2016, 08:54 PM
User Info
Alum of Potash, in my experience the true difference in DE & SE shaving is not the number of sides that can shave on the blade. Never, ever will I consider a half DE blade to be a true SE. What truly differentiates these blade is their stiffness & rigidity. 

DE blades rely on the razor head to flex and bend the blade to increase rigidity. Either that or they clamp down on the blade in an effort to reduce blade chatter. Regardless, DE blades are much thinner and more flexible than any SE blade. This leads to different shaving characteristics. 

SE blades with their rigidity can hold up to a more coarse stubble without flexing and chattering which for me led to tons of weepers and irritation. It was such a difference for me that I plan to never allow al other DE blade to touch my face.

31 8,056
 02-13-2016, 09:45 PM
User Info
Thanks for the further precision.  I'm pretty much a dedicated straight-razor shaver, so I think I can appreciate rigidity to some extent. On occasion, when I am on a short trip, I will use a Parker SR1 shavette with a half-blade.  While more difficult to use than a straight, it holds the blade in place so that it is rigid (a Weck-style razor with a long blade for hair-thinning has more flex in comparison).  I would think that an SE razor designed along the lines of the Parker shavette could achieve an analogous rigidity.

0 67
 02-13-2016, 10:03 PM
User Info
If this is the Rocnel razor in question, it seems to be curved like standard safety razor: http://www.rocnel.com/single-edge-razor-...inles.html.

As such, I don't really see the point.  An SE holds the blade flat, as does a Parker half-blade shavette.

0 67
 02-13-2016, 10:28 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
....i checked the Rocnel site, and the de sells for $295, and the se sells for $25.............. 
.........that doesn't seem right.........

45 1,063
 02-13-2016, 11:10 PM
User Info
According to Murat, the man behind Rocnel, the SE is much easier & thus faster to machine. Less time on the equipment equates to a lower cost.

31 8,056
 02-14-2016, 10:56 AM
User Info
I wondered about the price difference as well.  From the picture, the machining appears to be quite good.

0 67
 02-14-2016, 10:45 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
(02-13-2016, 11:10 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: According to Murat, the man behind Rocnel, the SE is much easier & thus faster to machine. Less time on the equipment equates to a lower cost.

I can't see it equating to THAT much of a price different. It doesn't make sense which keeps me weary of this company.

23 598
 02-15-2016, 07:33 AM
User Info
The Oneblade can also take a de-spined gem blade, IMO the gem blade is far better and lasts longer in the oneblade.

0 37
 02-15-2016, 08:09 AM
User Info
(02-13-2016, 07:43 PM)spidey9 Wrote: Consider the Shake Sharp. It is a single edge razor that uses a DE blade. The entire blade is loaded, and after the first side becomes dull, the blade is reversed and the other side is used. It is similar to the Golf 71 in principal but of much higher quality construction.

I was recently introduced to these by a friend on another forum, and to say I was blown away would be putting it mildly.

As a dedicated SE user I was initially skeptical, but this thing just flat-out shaves. The self-sharpening feature is useless on modern stainless steel blades (and was probably a gimmick to begin with), but it doesn't change the fact that loaded with a Feather blade it shaves as well as any razor out there.

Now the bad news: They were produced during the 1940's and never really caught on. Thus they can be expensive and hard to find.

--Bob

I have also just been introduced to the Shake Sharp; I suspect from the same friend on the same forum. It is a far better razor than I would suspect considering that the DE blade is unbroken and also only slightly bent.

0 617
 02-15-2016, 08:25 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(02-15-2016, 07:33 AM)PG1964 Wrote: The Oneblade can also take a de-spined gem blade, IMO the gem blade is far better and lasts longer in the oneblade.

I concur, 100%.  The Gem blade is superior in every way to the FHS.

47 1,903