07-17-2012, 08:11 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I know that everyone uses YMMV but almost exclusively towards other people on the forums. Mine is a case of YMMV between two products that should be somewhat similar from the same company.

My case of YMMV has recently occurred with the new versions of Proraso Cream. The Sandalwood-Shea Butter has given me consistently fantastic results while the Green tube, even though there are several similar ingredients and I've tried them back to back with the same setups(razor,blade,brush,pre/post,distilled water,etc.) the Red outperforms the green 100 fold.

The lather seems very similar, the consistency between my fingers seems to equal the same slip/lubrication yet I cannot get a decent shave from the menthol cream.

The Sandalwood always equals better skin care for me but still, I would expect to get a similar shaving result with the Green/Menthol cream even if it's without the nice moisturizing capability.

It's not really adding up for me. I've tried multiple times with the same results. The only thing remaining would be to try one cream on one side of my face and the other on the opposite side and I'm not really up for that at this point.
I just can't believe that one, seemingly similar product can help me produce such exceptional results while the other, not so much.
Perhaps the menthol and/or eucalyptus just doesn't agree with my skin, (yet it works just fine with the Proraso soaps!) or perhaps there are other factors at play.

6 905
 07-17-2012, 08:22 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It could be the eucalyptus as it has a drying effect on some skins. However I have great results with all of the Proraso products. One of those YMMV things I guess.

My all time favorite was the Proraso Red which they discontinued. Still trying to figure that one out.

173 23,540
 07-17-2012, 08:29 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The new Proraso Red is one of my favorite creams. It works good, feels great, and smells fantastic. To me it outperforms any other sandalwood cream I've tried and at half the cost of most.

116 3,804
 07-17-2012, 10:12 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I agree Dave which is why I had such high hopes for the menthol version. Such a shame!

(07-17-2012, 08:29 AM)Dave Wrote: The new Proraso Red is one of my favorite creams. It works good, feels great, and smells fantastic. To me it outperforms any other sandalwood cream I've tried and at half the cost of most.

6 905
 07-17-2012, 11:00 AM
User Info
So much for the marketing folks in that company. What do they know.

75 20,883
 07-17-2012, 04:46 PM
User Info
I love the old formula green Proraso, haven't tried the new version. Hope they haven't messed it up too bad.

2 805
 07-17-2012, 06:49 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The new green is a very good product. If you liked the old green, you will like the new one also.

173 23,540
 07-17-2012, 07:00 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(07-17-2012, 04:46 PM)sunflake Wrote: I love the old formula green Proraso, haven't tried the new version. Hope they haven't messed it up too bad.

The new green cream is delightful!

3 2,562
 07-17-2012, 08:11 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Shea Butter is a great ingredient for dry/sensitive skin.I do noticed when a product has it (or lanolin).However,the new green Proraso soap/cream perform much better than the old one with no lanolin.

86 7,123
 07-18-2012, 05:43 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Well, I'm just going to have to try both! Biggrin

91 17,851
 07-23-2012, 10:49 PM
User Info
I love both the green and the red - but I think you better stick to the green in the summer and and avoid using it in the winter, if it causes your skin to dry out.

Red is better used for winter, but of course can be used all year round.
I also use the green in the winter time - but menthol and eucalyptus do tend to dry out my skin a little bit more for obvious reasons, same goes for lime/lemon scented creams - they work better for summer use on my skin.

Almond, rose, sandalwood and lavender I prefer during the winter also for obvious reasons - but basically all scented creams can be used all year round, just make sure to use a pre shave cream and after shave balm if you use a cream that tends to dry out your skin more and then a good moisturizer cream - and you're set to go.

22 5,062
 07-24-2012, 08:45 AM
User Info
The green works great for me due to oily skin and drying it out some keeps my face from looking like a oil slick.

2 805
 07-25-2012, 04:53 AM
  • pgp
  • Portugal
User Info
I have the old green soap and the new red cream.

In my opinion, the red is better than the green, but on these hot summer days, there's nothing like a good dose of menthol!

If only the red had another scent, it would be a tremendous cream.

1 74
 07-26-2012, 04:53 PM
User Info
Very possible that the Eucalyptus is drying your skin. Have heard reports of it being somewhat harsh for certain people but haven't tried the new formula my self yet.

0 95
 07-27-2012, 04:09 AM
User Info
Proraso red just keeps surprising me with how good it is. In my hotel room yesterday morning, I used it with my Gillette Ball Handled Old and got a terrific shave. Only use it on the road nowadays and it completely satisfies.

5 298
 11-18-2014, 04:36 PM
User Info
(07-17-2012, 08:29 AM)Dave Wrote: The new Proraso Red is one of my favorite creams. It works good, feels great, and smells fantastic. To me it outperforms any other sandalwood cream I've tried and at half the cost of most.

Definitely my take as well. It is so dependable - never had a bad shave with it. I will admit to liking most Proraso products, but I have to say that this is my favorite. The red in the tub is wonderful too, but this stuff is particularly good traveling. It's such a regular-use product for me that when I get down to about a quarter tube, I will open a fresh tube and the old one goes in the travel kit.
Euro

5 394
 11-19-2014, 01:44 AM
User Info
The red is a better soap/cream imo but I enjoy using the green just as much as I enjoy the scent and the cooling effect. The red builds a very dense lather

0 60