07-17-2012, 02:29 PM
User Info
Hello everyone. i had been waiting to get back from vacation to post this as Randy (cyanide metal) has been asking me to do this as i introduced him to it and he has had great results.
i had been using organic unrefined shea butter for over twelve years as a skin moisturizer before i started wet-shaving and it was logical to continue using it as a moisturizer when i started this wonderful journey of wet-shaving.
Good shea butter should come in a solid paste form which i scoop an almond-size amount with my index finger and rub it between my palms to liquify it somewhat to make it easier to apply. You will have to judge how much you need as i also may scoop up a bit more depending on the need to cover all the areas of my head, neck and face. i then proceed to rub it on my face, neck, and head (i shave my hair, Oster 76, not DE). i work the shea butter in for a few minutes to massage my face. You could also try adding a bit of water to help liquify it and make its application easier. i find my method works very well for me. You will find that it seems oily for a few minutes afterwards, but the effect will lessen within 30-60 minutes. i usually wait 15 minutes then massage the areas applied and rub the extra on my hands to moisturize them.
The shea butter will leave your skin feeling rejuvenated and smooth all day. It works beautifully to bead off water in case you are working outside. i bike to work daily and, as you may know, it rains a great deal in Vancouver and i have never had an issue with the shea butter dissipating after i get into work. My skin has been healthier since using this amazing product. You can use it for your whole body as well as it works brilliantly for any area of skin. i have also realized that it
helps with any rashes, burns, sun-burns, skin conditions, etc..i would highly recommend a good organic shea butter with no essential oils or scents added (just my preference) as the essential oils or scents seem to be a bit strong for me. The shea butter does not have a strong scent, but it mildly smells nutty (hard to describe this one). i am posting some pictures of the one i use, but any good one should be fine. i wanted to show you its consistency, mainly.
In the photos, you will see the consistency of the natural unrefined butter. i find the scented versions are smoother as it could be mixed differently, but it does not look as coarse as the unscented version. You will see the process of scooping some out, then rubbing it between my fingers for 30 seconds or so, then the final result after having worked it for a few minutes. It leaves an oily residue as any butter, or oil would, but not an oily or slippery feel.
i am sure you should be able to find some at a local health store or even on-line. Again, try to get the Unrefined one and Organic if possible. i think you may be pleasantly surprised with this wonderful product. Here is some further information about the butter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shea_butter
Randy was kind enough to supply a website where you can buy the shea butter in the US. Here it is: http://www.theorganicsheabutter.com/sheastore.htm
Enjoy and i hope this has been helpful.

75 20,884
 07-17-2012, 03:19 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I've noticed your SOTD posts with the unrefined shea butter, so it's good to read the hows and whys of it. Thanks for the insightful post!

35 1,732
 07-17-2012, 03:29 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I think I'll pick some of this up to try. Thanks Celestino!!

116 3,804
 07-17-2012, 07:09 PM
User Info
I first noticed Celestino using USB in his SOTD post as well. It got me thinking as i had read many great things about USB, including dry scalp conditions. Be sure to use only unrefined SB to get the full benefits of its vitamins and healing power.

Since I started using it about 3 weeks ago, my skin has never felt better and the areas of my lower neck where I have been prone to bumps and ingrown hairs, has been clear and trouble free. This stuff has made a big difference in my overall shave routine.

At first, I was a little worried that it might leave me greasy feeling 'cause I don't like that feeling. But the USB conditions, protects and smooths my skin in a way I haven't experienced before without that slippery, greasy feeling. Even on days here in TN where the temps have reached 107 lately, my face feels terrific.

I tried buying the brand that Celestino uses, but shipping from Canada to the states was a little prohibitive. I get mine from HERE, which is based in Houston, TX.

Many thanks to Celestino for his kind review and his willingness to edumacate me.Tongue

9 1,199
 07-17-2012, 07:20 PM
User Info
Wonderful post about the benefits of Shea Butter, I use the same shea butter for my face and head, it leaves you're skin so smooth and doesn't plug you're pores or irritate you're skin like some aftershaves or balms do. I use Shea butter on a regular basis. I work in the marine industry and Im outside all day, The thing that bothered me the most about moisturizers and balms they all melted when it rained so you're eyes would be stinging at the end of the day. But the Shea butter works like a repellant of water, it lasts all day no need to re apply no dry or itchy feeling a few hours later. It works great in the summer months to cool sunburn stings as well. All I can say is its a hidden gem and I appreciate Celestino showing me the light towards Shea butter, Its one of my main staples in my wet shaving routine. If you're looking for a great all round moisturizer/aftershave balm this is it.Smile

39 694
 07-17-2012, 08:16 PM
User Info
Thanks for the wonderful comments everyone and i hope the new gents try and enjoy this wonderful product.
Peace and great shaves.

75 20,884
 07-17-2012, 08:29 PM
User Info
Thank you, celestino and others for this look at USB. Does anyone use this after applying witch hazel? Are they complimentary?

47 1,270
 07-18-2012, 10:30 AM
User Info
(07-17-2012, 08:29 PM)kentclark Wrote: Thank you, celestino and others for this look at USB. Does anyone use this after applying witch hazel? Are they complimentary?

Yes, they compliment each other very well. i have been using this after my alum and witch hazel and it is amazing. i guess you do not really need the witch hazel as this would be more than enough, but i really like the combination of the two. Good luck.

75 20,884
 07-18-2012, 07:29 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Thanks for a great review, Celestino. I shall be on the lookout for this.

2 11,211
 07-18-2012, 08:22 PM
User Info
(07-18-2012, 10:30 AM)celestino Wrote:
(07-17-2012, 08:29 PM)kentclark Wrote: Thank you, celestino and others for this look at USB. Does anyone use this after applying witch hazel? Are they complimentary?

Yes, they compliment each other very well. i have been using this after my alum and witch hazel and it is amazing. i guess you do not really need the witch hazel as this would be more than enough, but i really like the combination of the two. Good luck.

Thank you for sharing, my friend. I may try this.

47 1,270
 07-18-2012, 10:29 PM
User Info
Kentclark, it would be very easy for you to pick it up as the company is situated right in your city. Good luck and enjoy it if you do. Let me know if you need any help with it.

75 20,884
 08-01-2012, 05:24 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I finally got the chance to try the USB after my shave last night.
It's an absolutely exquisite moisturizer and an instant skin healer. My skin felt silky smooth after application.
(Wow....that sounded like an infomercial.....)

Seriously, if you need a balm or a moisturizer, this unrefined shea butter is a great alternative and while it might seem expensive at first, it's not. Only a very small amount is needed.

I found a more spreadable version called Shea Nicoletta that is still organic and unrefined at an online shop called SheaTerraOrganics. $16 for 4oz. I wanted a more spreadable version. With this one, it's creamy right out of the jar without having to warm/emulsify it in your hands prior to application.

Thank you Celestino!

6 905
 08-01-2012, 06:22 AM
User Info
No worries, my friend. i am glad i could help out. i hope more of the gents realize how wonderful this product is. Enjoy.

75 20,884
 08-01-2012, 08:43 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Great review my friend. If one uses an after shave, does the Shea Butter hide the scent of the after shave?

This will be on my shopping list later this month. Extra dry skin is a way of life up here during the winter months.

173 23,558
 08-05-2012, 07:38 AM
User Info
Johnny, well, the shea butter will certainly help out with dry skin, no question about that. With regards to the aftershave, i highly doubt that it will mask the scent as i can always smell the Mystic Water Bay Rum scent after i finish my shaves and it is not an overpowering scent to begin with. Unrefined shea butter does not have a strong odour, so i do not think you need to worry about it masking your aftershave. Good luck.

75 20,884
 08-05-2012, 08:45 AM
User Info
Just bought 16oz through douknowjc on eBay for $10 shipped. Not many small sizes available (1oz or 16oz) but one can buy multiple tons of USB. Will post back here with my impressions.

47 1,270
 08-05-2012, 08:53 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I've read that some shea butter's have a mild aroma similar to cocoa butter. The Sheaterra stuff that I use has next to no aroma at all and would not compete with any A/S, even the mildest scent.

Using the USB over an aftershave splash seems to have the benefit of "sealing" the A/S in a bit plus of course, soothing any left over burn or stinging from the A/S.

The only caveat I'd mention with using USB is to not use too much of it, especially in the morning or during the day.
While it absorbs well, if your commute to work, etc. is short, you may end up looking a little "slick" for a while if you've used too much. Smile

6 905
 08-05-2012, 02:29 PM
User Info
(08-05-2012, 08:53 AM)EHV Wrote: I've read that some shea butter's have a mild aroma similar to cocoa butter. The Sheaterra stuff that I use has next to no aroma at all and would not compete with any A/S, even the mildest scent.

Using the USB over an aftershave splash seems to have the benefit of "sealing" the A/S in a bit plus of course, soothing any left over burn or stinging from the A/S.

The only caveat I'd mention with using USB is to not use too much of it, especially in the morning or during the day.
While it absorbs well, if your commute to work, etc. is short, you may end up looking a little "slick" for a while if you've used too much. Smile

* This is true. You do not need much for it to be effective.

75 20,884
 08-05-2012, 08:49 PM
User Info
I use an AS splash with the USB although I tend to use the AS after the USB for scent. I've found it helps spread the USB around a bit too. Of course, there's no right or wrong method. Just whaever makes your bladder gladder.

+1 on being careful on how much you use. Typically, I'll run my hands over my face again after 15 mins. of first applying it. Makes for a nice even flat finish. Whaever is left on my hands, I'll rub into my hands and arms. No more dry skin!

Thanks, Celestino!!

9 1,199
 08-05-2012, 10:07 PM
User Info
Randy, that's exactly what i do! Fantastic hand moisturizer as well! Enjoy, my friend.

75 20,884