02-14-2016, 04:40 PM
User Info
I have owned a fair number of aggressive/Effective DE razors in the last 5 years time.

The Fatip - sold it, because all 4 of mine had pretty lousy finish.
Joris/Plisson - sold and rebought them, because their finish is better and the handles in Palladium are BEAUTIFUL
Mühle R41 2011 - sold it, because I found it useless comapred to other alternatives
Mühle R41 2013 3-piece - sold it, and then rebought it. It's a keeper.
Mühle R41 Twist - same head as the R41 2013, but just love the handle and head 2-piece design. Great razor.
Above The Tie H Open Comb - very efficient aggressive razor head. Still testing this out.
Above The Tie H Solid Bar - will buy this head next month in a huge Above The Tie deal, where I buy all 8 razor heads and 3 handles.
Ikon Tech - still debating, whether I should buy it.

I really do enjoy these type of razors, for days when I have several days of stubbles to remove, or I just need a darn close shave, and lots of stubbles removed fast, perhaps only in one pass and touch ups.

So I ask you guys, that use your aggressive/effective razors for 3 passes - WHY ?

It's a free world, you can certainly do what you want.
But these types of razors are great for removing a lot of stubbles - but these stubbles are removed in the first pass, even with the grain for most gents.
Why then continue using the same very aggressive and efficient razor for the 2.nd and perhaps 3.rd pass ?

Because you can and like to, your answer will most likely be  Wink

I then ask you, why not use a more mild razor for the subsequent passes ?
When your skin & stubbles have been lawn mowed down during the first pass, why continue with the same aggressive/effective razor, that has been built to remove a LOT of stubbles, when you now just have very little mild stubbles left on your face ?

I'm an advocator for using razors for what they are designed and built for.
Thus I use the effective razor for what it is designed for: Removing the thick long stubbles I have during the first pass, and change to a milder less effective razor for the subsequent passes, because I find the milder razors are designed and built for that purpose, or for people, with very light beard growth (or for Gents, who perhaps need to shave twice daily)

Or I use my Merkur Futur adjustable, which is designed exactly for what I advocate and speak for - using a razor designed for gradually removing more and more beard stubbles, during the 2-3 passes, adjusting the razors degree of aggressiveness/efficiency in between the passes of beard removal/beard reduction.

I would like to conclude, that a lot of Gents out there would use their aggressive/effective razors with a lot more success (and a lot less spill of blood), if they chose to only use them for the first pass and touch ups, then took a less aggressive/less effective razor and used that for pass number 2 (and 3)

24 6,020
 02-14-2016, 05:20 PM
User Info
No razor can get me close in one pass, not even a Fatip. I need at least two passes and clean-up. If I do one pass with the grain, it looks like I haven't shaved in a day or so. Personally, I don't want to grab another razor after the first pass. Then that makes two razors I have to clean and disassemble after I'm done with the shave.

0 13
 02-14-2016, 05:36 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
.....good thoughts, Claus..........

46 1,070
 02-14-2016, 05:40 PM
User Info
(02-14-2016, 05:20 PM)KingofWisdom Wrote: No razor can get me close in one pass, not even a Fatip. I need at least two passes and clean-up. If I do one pass with the grain, it looks like I haven't shaved in a day or so. Personally, I don't want to grab another razor after the first pass. Then that makes two razors I have to clean and disassemble after I'm done with the shave.

So it's basically to avoid cleaning another razor, that you continue to use the aggressive/effective razor for the subsequent passes, right ?

Ideally, it would also bet better for you to change to a less aggressive/effective razor for the 2.nd and 3.rd pass, correct ?

24 6,020
 02-14-2016, 06:41 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Well Claus. Sorry to be slightly OT.

Somehow I missed the existence of the R41 Twist. But, no longer. I just ordered one!
And I'm looking forward to the experience. I mothballed my 2011 R41. It just required more attentiveness than I cared to give it.
ble alternative to
The Twist may be a reasonable alternative to my Weber. We'll see

60 1,627
 02-14-2016, 07:06 PM
User Info
I don't do well with aggressive razors. I have the R41 2013 and even that is pushing it for me. But if I did, I still wouldn't switch razors for the same reason as KingOfWisdom, not wanting to clean another razor.

What about an adjustable? You could crank it up for the first pass and then lower on subsequent passes.

42 1,197
 02-14-2016, 07:41 PM
User Info
(02-14-2016, 07:06 PM)shevek Wrote: I don't do well with aggressive razors. I have the R41 2013 and even that is pushing it for me. But if I did, I still wouldn't switch razors for the same reason as KingOfWisdom, not wanting to clean another razor.

What about an adjustable? You could crank it up for the first pass and then lower on subsequent passes.

I'm not writing this for reasons of asking for help.
I know very well what I want from my razors, and I feel I now have the needed experience to get the best out of my shaving gear.

The reason I made the thread was more to give Gents advice, who may feel their aggressive/effective razors are too much for them, especially for passes after the 1.st pass, where you really can feel the blade against the skin on the razors with large blade gap and large blade exposure.

A tip for them is simply to only use their deadly razors for the first pass and touch ups, then change to a milder razor for pass number 2 (and 3 in case they do 3 passes)

I already have shaved like this for over a year now.

I use one of my 7 Fusion handled razors or my 2 R41's, my 2 Plissons and my Above The Tie H plate razors for the first pass, then use a milder DE razor for pass number two and pass number three.
Touch ups I always do with the most aggressive razor.

Amd Yes, I consider the Fusion a far more aggressive/effective razor, than all my milder DE razors, because it removes more stubbles in first pass than any of my mild razors do.
However it does not remove more stubbles, than my Mühle R41 2013 head does, nor than my Plisson razors do, nor than my ATT H plate does.

I know this takes more time, but if I'm in hurry to shave, I quite often  shave in the shower using a Proraso preshave cream, a canned Proraso Goo and a Bolin webb  Fusion razor anyway and don't expect more than a decent shave from it. But a shower shave is only two passes + touch up for me anyway. 12 minutes.

2-3 times a week, I take my time, and spend probably 1 hour+ on a relaxing, calming shave - so having to clean two razors instead of one is not a problem for me, and I get far better shaves out of it  Smile

24 6,020
 02-14-2016, 07:43 PM
User Info
(02-14-2016, 05:36 PM)leonidas Wrote: .....good thoughts, Claus..........

Thank you, Sir  Smile

24 6,020
 02-14-2016, 07:55 PM
User Info
Totally understand Claus. Sorry, did not mean to insult, i just blab advice sometimes, usually where it is not needed. It's an interesting premise to go from an aggressive razor to  a milder one each pass. I may have to try this out some time, most likely on a weekend. As you mention, when there is a bit more time....

42 1,197
 02-15-2016, 01:09 PM
  • KRpdx
  • Portland, OR
User Info
My two cents...

I started out a few years ago with an EJ89, went to NEW LC, British NEW flat bottom SC, NEW SC, RazorRock Jaws, Fatip Piccolo, 2013 R41 (my daily shaver for a year and a half), and finally the Ikon (Shavecraft) Tech, my current daily shaver for the past three months. My regimen has always been 2 passes and touch up with the one razor in hand. The reason I don't switch to a less aggressive razor after the first pass is the end result: with my beard, I just cannot get quite as close and long lasting a shave from a significantly milder razor...and my technique is pretty good.

12 166
 02-15-2016, 03:22 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I don't use mild DEs because for some reason they will not give me as close and as long lasting a shave as an aggressive DE will. I normally do a 4 pass shave regardless if I am using a DE/SE or straight razor. I shave to get a shave that is satisfactory and comfortable to me and everyone's definition of what is satisfactory and/or comfortable is different.

Bob

0 1,694
 02-16-2016, 04:33 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
My thoughts on why I prefer my milder vintage razors. There is a noticeable difference in remaining  stubble after the first pass and even the second one with a more aggressive  razor. But no matter what I still need a third pass after which my shave is as close as it would've been with  an aggressive  mower. The difference therefore to choose between  is smoothness, comfort. And that rates a little  higher  in my book anyways.

7 2,361
 02-16-2016, 06:30 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(02-16-2016, 04:33 AM)Mouser Wrote: My thoughts on why I prefer my milder vintage razors. There is a noticeable difference in remaining  stubble after the first pass and even the second one with a more aggressive  razor. But no matter what I still need a third pass after which my shave is as close as it would've been with  an aggressive  mower. The difference therefore to choose between  is smoothness, comfort. And that rates a little  higher  in my book anyways.

Yes, people are all different in what they can tolerate in the number of passes and aggressiveness of a razor and still get a comfortable shave. Believe me, if I did not get a comfortable shave using a Fatip or Muhle R41 2013 version with a Feather blade for 4 passes I would not be doing that. As always you should do what is comfortable for yourself. That is the thing about shaving, there is no standard one size fits all way of doing things. Personally I can't understand how someone can do a 1 pass shave every 2 or 3 days and be satisfied from where I sit but then again I am not them either.

0 1,694
 02-17-2016, 11:05 AM
User Info
(02-15-2016, 03:22 PM)BobH Wrote: I don't use mild DEs because for some reason they will not give me as close and as long lasting a shave as an aggressive DE will. I normally do a 4 pass shave regardless if I am using a DE/SE or straight razor. I shave to get a shave that is satisfactory and comfortable to me and everyone's definition of what is satisfactory and/or comfortable is different.

Bob

I agree. I use aggressive razors because the shave seems to last longer. I can get BBS with any razor,so my concerns have shifted to longevity of BBS.

1 101
 02-19-2016, 08:45 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've found if I've mastered a razor or more likely found one that's congruent with my face there's no need to switch down to something milder for subsequent passes. 

I've also found the fewer passes the less chance of irritation. Therefore a more efficient razor is usually preferable for me.

It's an interesting proposition though Claus and I have done this on many occasions with straights (using a straight for my first pass and then a milder DE for subsequent passes and touch ups).

99 18,011
 02-20-2016, 04:20 PM
User Info
sounds like you would find a perfect match if you try one of the adjustables out there.
I have been very ambivalent about whether I like mild or aggressive razors, but I tend to like it mildish but efficient enough razors.
If I have heavier growth, I can use more aggressive razors, like wolfman or cobra.  Some would argue that these are not aggressive, but I'd venture to say they feel aggressive to me especially if I have to shave daily.  If not, they are tolerable.

I have found my perfect match for my liking.  It is merkur progress.
First, I hated the design and the material it was made with, but when I first shaved with it, I immediately fell it love with it.
Now I use it more often than my beloved wolfman SB, LABBS1, cobra classic, stealth slant and baby smooth.  I considered these irreplaceable, but I think if I could only keep one razor, it would be hard not to choose progress.  

I do first pass on setting 2.  Then on subsequent passes, I dial it down to 1.5.  I find it especially comfortable when going ATG on the neck, which is pretty sensitive area for me.
This pretty much lines up with your 1st pass with aggressive razor and subsequent passes with milder razor regimen.

53 760