02-18-2016, 04:43 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
For the past 15 years or 20 years, I have had gas grills. Lately though, I have become interested in getting a charcoal grill again. The flavor seems to be better and cooking on charcoal is a bit more fun (or frustrating depending on the day). I have not begun researching them yet and thought I would tap into the collective wisdom of the Shave Nook first. What charcoal grills would you recommend?

45 17,998
 02-18-2016, 05:04 PM
User Info
It is a bit of investment, but a ceramic grill is what I have been using the last few years. I hope this is the last grill that I ever have to buy.  I have done everything from baking (pizza, bread, pies, tarts etc) to ribs, to dutch oven braising and high temp searing etc.  They are very versatile and put out some fantastic food once you get the hang of it.  There are a number of different brands out there and there isnt a ton of difference between them.  I have a Kamado Joe.  My parents received an Imperial Kamado as a wedding gift in 1961 and I inherited when my dad passed a few years ago.  It is semi retired, but I still use it a few times a year.

How much do you want to spend?  How many people will you cook for regularly?  Does it need to be portable for camping or travel?

For about $100, a 22" Weber Kettle is hard to beat.

18 581
 02-18-2016, 05:12 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Little Tokyo has several food retailers who sell cast iron Hibachis. These are wonderful for retaining heat  and cooking smaller portions.

2 3,171
 02-18-2016, 05:21 PM
User Info
Love my big green egg...

0 127
 02-18-2016, 05:44 PM
User Info
I have a nice charcoal/gas side by side combo. Wife got it for me for anniversary/bday from Walmart. Probably used it a good 50 times so far and have yet to even hook a tank to it. Nothing tastes better than cooking on a good set of coals! 
The rust old grates to the right are to the old grill I made into a fire pit. Biggrin
[Image: Iz9udDc.jpg]
[Image: vE7Jurv.jpg]
[Image: CMH6Ntv.jpg]

145 3,431
 02-18-2016, 05:48 PM
User Info
Weber kettle.  Best most versatile home grill.  Grill, barbecue, smoke, rotisserie all on one grill.  Perfect.

86 890
 02-18-2016, 06:10 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(02-18-2016, 05:04 PM)PanChango Wrote: It is a bit of investment, but a ceramic grill is what I have been using the last few years. I hope this is the last grill that I ever have to buy.  I have done everything from baking (pizza, bread, pies, tarts etc) to ribs, to dutch oven braising and high temp searing etc.  They are very versatile and put out some fantastic food once you get the hang of it.  There are a number of different brands out there and there isnt a ton of difference between them.  I have a Kamado Joe.  My parents received an Imperial Kamado as a wedding gift in 1961 and I inherited when my dad passed a few years ago.  It is semi retired, but I still use it a few times a year.

How much do you want to spend?  How many people will you cook for regularly?  Does it need to be portable for camping or travel?

For about $100, a 22" Weber Kettle is hard to beat.

The Ceramic grills look great but are likely more than I was looking to spend. Many stores (such as BBQ Galore) did not even list a price which makes me a bit nervous. Biggrin They look to be north of $1K.

It would serve as a backyard grill...most of the time I would just be cooking for my wife and I but, I would like the capacity to cook for a dinner party.

45 17,998
 02-18-2016, 06:15 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Among my past 'careers' was 8 years at a Horrible Despot. Those simple Weber kettle grills  get the job done at little investment. A Weber can cook a lot of food for guests.

2 3,171
 02-18-2016, 06:43 PM
User Info
I think our big green egg was around 1k. Ours is not the biggest ,wanna say 24 inch. Worth every penny and then some IMO. 

If you want something cooler to look at than your walmart or home Depot grills, which work fine BTW. I still have my walmart gas grill and a weber charcoal grill. Get a custom made one. My parents have one that is like what's used at your BBQ restraunts. Custom made for them under $1,000.00

0 127
 02-18-2016, 06:49 PM
User Info
Love my Weber Performer Deluxe - great for grilling, smoking, etc, nice big table to work on, ingenious yet simple storage bin to keep all your stuff stored. Impossible to beat imo if you want to stay below $500.

52 1,174
 02-18-2016, 06:49 PM
User Info
(02-18-2016, 05:44 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: I have a nice charcoal/gas side by side combo. Wife got it for me for anniversary/bday from Walmart. Probably used it a good 50 times so far and have yet to even hook a tank to it. Nothing tastes better than cooking on a good set of coals! 
The rust old grates to the right are to the old grill I made into a fire pit. Biggrin

I really like that setup. We have the green egg, and our gas grill that's the same brand name as that one all scattered around my deck . Got a weber in the corner with a cover on it . As well as the electric smoker that was a Christmas gift 2 years ago still in the box all on the back deck. That setup you have looks much nicer. Of course I blame my wife. She over complicates everything.

0 127
 02-18-2016, 06:53 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
That is a nice set-up Freddie...kind of the best of both worlds. Biggrin

45 17,998
 02-18-2016, 06:57 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(02-18-2016, 06:49 PM)david1201 Wrote: Love my Weber Performer Deluxe - great for grilling, smoking, etc, nice big table to work on, ingenious yet simple storage bin to keep all your stuff stored. Impossible to beat imo if you want to stay below $500.

Just looked it up...that looks like a very smart design and the price is right. Thank you for the suggestion.

45 17,998
 02-18-2016, 07:27 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Pros and cons of charcoal in SOCAL: We have had 'no burn days' in the past when pollutant levels rose in the greater L.A. Megapolis. WHEN we have another
major earthquake and IF power is disrupted a basic outdoor grill proves a godsend for hot food, hot water (shaving) and a psychological focal point for frightened children ( and no few adults). There are all manner of accessories. The most important come down to 'charcoal starters' which look like ( and are) overpriced coffeecans you can easily fabricate. Another trick; and non toxic is a bag of 'fatwood' usually sold in 1-5lb bags seasonally or online. Fatwood is merely pitch saturated pine from sections of trees injured by lightning etc. It is marvelous stuff. Those oversized lighters are a PITA.

2 3,171
 02-18-2016, 08:07 PM
User Info
(02-18-2016, 06:49 PM)John Wayne Wrote:
(02-18-2016, 05:44 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: I have a nice charcoal/gas side by side combo. Wife got it for me for anniversary/bday from Walmart. Probably used it a good 50 times so far and have yet to even hook a tank to it. Nothing tastes better than cooking on a good set of coals! 

I really like that setup. We have the green egg, and our gas grill that's the same brand name as that one all scattered around my deck . Got a weber in the corner with a cover on it . As well as the electric smoker that was a Christmas gift 2 years ago still in the box all on the back deck. That setup you have looks much nicer. Of course I blame my wife. She over complicates everything.

Thank John. My uncle has a green egg and they are pretty awesome! I've never heard a single bad thing about them. 

(02-18-2016, 06:53 PM)bullgoose Wrote: That is a nice set-up Freddie...kind of the best of both worlds. Biggrin

Thanks Phil. I'll find out if it's the best of both one day if I ever hook the gas up!  Tongue

145 3,431
 02-18-2016, 08:28 PM
User Info
For a first time charcoal grill, I'd second a Weber.  Good quality for a low price to see if you like the process of using coal.... I've switched to a gas line Viking grill, but still break out the Weber when I want to slow smoke something.

18 612
 02-18-2016, 10:29 PM
User Info
I have multiple outdoor cookers and use charcoal & wood exclusively.
The Weber Performers are excellent units, and if you're looking for something that makes long cooks easier, the Pit Barrel Cooker is another 5/5 star cooker.

20 163
 02-19-2016, 12:19 PM
User Info
(02-18-2016, 06:57 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(02-18-2016, 06:49 PM)david1201 Wrote: Love my Weber Performer Deluxe - great for grilling, smoking, etc, nice big table to work on, ingenious yet simple storage bin to keep all your stuff stored. Impossible to beat imo if you want to stay below $500.

Just looked it up...that looks like a very smart design and the price is right. Thank you for the suggestion.

It is the exact one I have, attached the table with the racks and what not.  It really is a great design that you can do anything in.  It takes a bit of mastery to really be able to control the temperature.  But once figured out is easy peezy.

86 890
 02-19-2016, 12:45 PM
User Info
Komodo Kamado

0 75
 02-19-2016, 12:53 PM
User Info
(02-18-2016, 06:57 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

Your welcome Phil, just remember to buy one of these as well:  Chimney Starter

52 1,174