02-19-2016, 12:57 PM
User Info
(02-19-2016, 12:53 PM)david1201 Wrote:
(02-18-2016, 06:57 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(02-18-2016, 06:49 PM)david1201 Wrote: Love my Weber Performer Deluxe - great for grilling, smoking, etc, nice big table to work on, ingenious yet simple storage bin to keep all your stuff stored. Impossible to beat imo if you want to stay below $500.

Just looked it up...that looks like a very smart design and the price is right. Thank you for the suggestion.

Your welcome Phil, just remember to buy one of these as well:  Chimney Starter

+1 I came to this thread just to comment on this. Chimney Starters are definitely the way to go and make starting a fire as easy as a propane grill.

80 947
 02-19-2016, 01:07 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Once again, people are eager to support Jeff Bezos' altruistic contributions to the wetshaving community by outcompeting our dedicated vendors.
www.wickyhow.com/Make-a-chimney-starter-%28Charcoal-Starter%29

2 3,171
 02-19-2016, 01:41 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Weber Master-Touch 22"; best charcoal grill I've used.  Good value.

7 901
 02-19-2016, 01:45 PM
User Info
I switched to a Weber last year and completely fell in love with it.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

0 94
 02-19-2016, 02:38 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Another vote here for the Weber. I picked one up used for $40 and have never regretted it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 608
 02-19-2016, 02:55 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I used a TEC gasser for 15+ years, got tired of schlepping the propane tanks around and wanted to try the Big Green Egg, but the price was pretty steep, and wasn't sure how I'd take to the feeding of a real grill with charcoal, ash disposal, etc.  So before I ditched the propane I bought an 18" Weber and spent a couple months using lump charcoal.  Well, the taste of the charcoal grill, along with the much greater range of utility, won me over, and I bought the Green Egg on end of season sale one October several years ago.   My Large with nest & setup cost about half what the TEC had set me back circa 1996.

I have not missed the gas grill one single bit.  The Egg can cook hotter than a gasser, or run 20 hours at a rock steady 200° F.  The limitation of the Eggs is grill space/size, but that can be handled, and is probably irrelevant for Phil's stated purpose.  And the ceramics carry a lifetime warranty I believe, unlike the TEC which was facing a $600 burner replacement cost (though as stated I got many years out of it) .

44 470
 02-19-2016, 04:12 PM
User Info
(02-19-2016, 02:55 PM)garyg Wrote: I have not missed the gas grill one single bit.  The Egg can cook hotter than a gasser, or run 20 hours at a rock steady 200° F.  The limitation of the Eggs is grill space/size, but that can be handled, and is probably irrelevant for Phil's stated purpose.  And the ceramics carry a lifetime warranty I believe, unlike the TEC which was facing a $600 burner replacement cost (though as stated I got many years out of it) .
I agree.  It took me some getting used to only having an 18" grate on my kamado.  Other than what was mentioned, the only real limitation I ran into is indirect cooking.  Yes the plate setter / deflector helps, but the food is still directly above the fire.  The larger size grill would help, but everything else including the price was overkill.  Indirect cooking is one spot where the Weber really outclasses a kamado in my opinion.  It is not enough for me to even think about giving up my ceramic cooker.

18 586
 02-19-2016, 05:01 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
Phil please , please GO with any WEBER Charcoal grill for 100 - 150 $ and you wont be disappointed . BDW thank you very much for the SdM offer !

10 416
 02-19-2016, 10:39 PM
User Info
IMO, the best results from grilling are achieved from the delicate balance between direct and indirect heat.  Because of this, I believe there is no grill/smoker more versatile than a Primo.  Highly recommend.

http://askabutcher.proboards.com/thread/...primo-oval

13 478
 02-20-2016, 06:41 AM
User Info
I have a Primo and do Sous Vide so I'm not of much use when it comes to discussion about grills that only grill and do the other stuff not so good. But I'll try.

I once had steel grills, and gassers. The day I seared my first steak on the Primo I gave my just, the week before, rebuilt gasser to my neighbor for his camp. My wife thought I was insane and that was on the basis of grilling alone. Why? I tried to get "that flavor" out of the gasser for far too many years and couldn't. Even though I really didn't know what I was doing with the Primo on that first steak I immediately discovered the taste that I'd been looking for. Today my grilled steaks are so much better than that first one, and that just touches the surface of what a kamado will do. After using a ceramic Kamado you couldn't give me a steel grill or a gasser. Folks who have used them and moved to ceramic all state the same thing that I just did. Many add that they use the old gasser or steel grill to store their BBQ tools. A few keep the gasser around to cook hot dogs for the children. Yes, the cost is steep, but I've had mine for 12 (?) years now and there has been little maintenance. I had to replace the gasket a few years in, but I replaced it with Cotronics gasket and it should be good for... well, the only reason people change their Cotronics gasket is if they want to. I use the Primo in any weather, even if it's -20°F and it doesn't faze it. I expect my Primo to outlast me.

Oh, and it will actually do BBQ, and not merely use the term BBQ while meaning grilling. I know, that with kludge setups some steel grills will do some of the things that a kamado is designed to do. But it takes cooking gymnastics to start to approach what the kamado will do very easily.

What's coming up soon for our Primo? I need to cold smoke 15# of cheese and approx' 10# of pork fatback and last night I was kicking the idea around with the wife about working a BBQed brisket into the meal schedule. Real slow cooked and wood smoked BBQed brisket, not something overcooked in a slow cooker and then BBQ sauce gets dumped on it. But I'll probably do 2 full size packer briskets while I'm at it and freeze the rest in packages for future meals; something near 20# of brisket. I won't grill steaks on it in the winter, that's reserved for warmer weather not because the Primo can't take it, but because the gent doing the cooking no longer wants to grill in the cold. Now when it's cold out I do Sous Vide for an almost as good a flavor. In fact the flavor of Sous Vide, done right, beats grilling on anything other than a Kamado and will cost much less to get started. It too can do more than just make tasty steaks or burgers. That's reason #2 that I would never buy another gasser or grill. SousVide is NOT difficult. If one can set a wall thermostat and operate a water faucet one can cook sous vide. As with any cooking there are "tricks"; but they are easily learned and not at all difficult to pull off.

32 6,451
 03-01-2016, 08:13 AM
User Info
a very good friend has a phd in cooking on his egg.  fixed abalone on it for me.  omg   I plod along with my weber

73 1,278
 03-01-2016, 09:05 AM
User Info
I've cooked on some ceramics owned by friends and relatives and I think they are best but have a learning curve and they are heavy as well as pricey. My Dad bought a Komado Joe at Costco during an event last year and it really brings a lot of bang for the buck.  At home for me it's been Weber. They are easy to use and last a long time. Also because they are so popular there are lots of good aftermarket items available should you wish to perfect cooking methods like slow smoking. I've had the same 18 inch Weber for many years but soon I think I will go to the 22.

15 771
 03-01-2016, 09:07 AM
User Info
I've used a Weber kettle for years.  They work great.  I have found that there's a ratio of just how few briquettes you can use vs. the size of the kettle.  If you're cooking a fair amount of steaks, chops or whatever then filling the whole circumference with coals creates the convection you need but if you're only doing one or two small portions then using 25-30 coals seems like a bit of a waste.  Trying to use less does not "work" the kettle properly and quite often does not have the oompf to stay lit if you use the lid.  If you're only cooking for two people, Weber makes a smaller version of that same kettle that would be more appropriate.  It would use less briquettes (they're not expensive, but also not free) and still achieve proper convection and temperature distribution inside.  I use those "Zip" cubes to start.  They're safer to store than liquid and don't leave a taste as long as you use a small piece or two and that they've completely burned away prior to cooking.

1 227
 03-01-2016, 03:45 PM
User Info
I have a close friend that is really into it and swears by Kamado Joe.

63 1,720
 03-02-2016, 05:02 AM
User Info
The Weber kettle is a solid performer at a rock bottom price, if you are looking for a gateway product that can be used for years - it is great (in razor terms; a D89 or a 34c)

The next step up are the ceramic cookers and steel charcoal grills; Big Green Egg, Primo or Kamodo Joe for ceramic and The Cajun for steel are the leaders this tier.  The principal fuel is natural lump charcoal (dont burn briquettes in the ceramic!), but the Cajun is a tank - you could burn logs!.

Having been a confirmed charcoal guy for over 30 yrs, the ceramic grills are where I would make the investment (disclosure: I own a large BGE).   I have gone through a few Weber kettles and a Bar-B-Chef steel because the tough New England climate catches up with metal and even with proper maintenance - they corrode beyond the point of use.  I was leaning toward a Cajun or the Pit Barrel Cooker last time I was in the market, but the year-round weather-proof attraction ceramic proved irresistible.

Most everything in the tier above can be had for less than $1,000 and in many cases about half that amt. 

But.....if you have the means......and you want to make the "buy-once, cry-once" argument....for now and future generations......there is "The One"...the "Grail".......

The Komodo Kamado

Ridiculously overbuilt, absolutely gorgeous and priced to match - it is the one you pick out with your kids / grandkids, because this will be passed down for a couple of generations

8 240
 03-02-2016, 05:52 AM
User Info
I have a Napoleon N.G. BBQ/grill hooked up direct with electric rotisserie and a separate charcoal BBQ/grill (Master Forge) which I really only use on weekends. Some things cook better on gas and some on coals from my experience. Friend has a Traeger smoker which is a whole different world. Low heat, slow cook and long times using wood pellets.
I also swear by a chimney charcoal starter. The Weber one is robust.

I'd like to get a Crown Verity. A bit overkill but commercial quality for the buck that others can't beat.

5 270
 03-02-2016, 08:34 AM
User Info
I use an Oklahoma Joe combination gas charcoal and offset smoker . It has all the bases covered .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Paul Bryan

0 740
 03-06-2016, 08:00 PM
User Info
I just use a cheap barrel or box shape - they all cook about the same to me...

Don't forget to soak your wood chips in water for about 30 minutes, drain & put 'em in the smoker box - yum
It's almost like a real smoker without the hassle.

0 40
 03-07-2016, 08:16 AM
User Info
A few years ago my giant gas grill took a crap, burners are shot, vaporizer bars vaporized, etc.. I had a small Weber kettle I bought years ago when it was on clearance and I thought hey might as well try this. So I bought Kingsford Competition Charcoal from Costco and started grilling. My wife and I both agree there is no going back to gas. So I guess the long and the short of it is Weber round 22" charcoal grill has been great for us and there are 5 of us.

0 858
 03-23-2016, 05:57 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I love my weber kettle grill. have use it for years and it is great. It does take a bit to learn to use charcoal properly and weather plays a role in how you grill (rain, wind and i grill in the Canadian winter Smile )

i prefer the chimney starter, and definitely recommend that you get one.

also, don't give up, charcoal is a bit like shaving, you are always learning and getting better.

0 360