02-18-2016, 08:03 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I have always advocated the idea that when a shaver tries a certain item, software, hardware, etc.,that if they have trouble, the item does not please them, etc., etc., that they set the item aside, and come back to it in a few months.  I have seen the wisdom in that bit of advice in my own experiences, several times. Which brings me to the point of this thread.
All of us (or most of us) are aware of how personal blade choice for a razor is. Each of us likes what we like, certain blades work for us, others we hate, but the next guy down the line might find the polar opposite.
For me it was the Feather. I used it early on my return to wet shaving. Mind you, I'm not new to using a DE. I started on one when I was 14 or 15, and used one for quite a while before eventually moving to carts after it was lost in a move somewhere between basic training and my first duty assignment in the Air Force. When I picked it back up again, it was all pretty quick to come back to me.
But I used the Feather off and on for about 6 months, and I found that it was a really sharp, smooth shave for the first one, but the second shave with one was so uncomfortable it felt like shaving with broken glass. So when asked about the Feather, given it's price, my response was the typical, "Too expensive " "Better/longer lasting blades out there for less". And I thought no more of them for about a year.
But I was recently Piffed a nice quantity of them, and remembered that advice I kept giving, "Set it aside and try it again later". So I thought, it's about time I tried the Feathers again.
Gentlemen, I take it all back.
I have just had six consecutive shaves on the same Feather blade, in an R41, Slim, Tech, Lady Gillette, 54 Super Speed, and Schick Krona.
Each one was smooth as silk. I believe that I will see a seventh shave on this blade, easy.
Keep in mind, that I shave with a DE one day, dry and put away the blade, then the next day a straight, then an SE, then a straight, the a DE. Over and over, that is my rotation. So this is not 6 consecutive days. The blade is used, rinsed and dried, put away for two days, then inserted in another razor, and the process/rotation repeated. So this razor blade has spent at least half of it's time(more like two thirds) sitting in the cabinet between  rotation with a straight and an SE, then pulled out, etc., etc.
I am thoroughly amazed at the difference in my face's reaction to this blade. I don't know what to attribute it to, whether improved technique, or my face being more conditioned to this type of shaving, or something completely different. All I know is , A) that piece of advice I've been giving out looks to be a really good idea, and B) I'm in love with these blades!
So, if there is a blade or two you tried early on and did not get on with, but others have been saying how great a blade it is, drag those old half used blades samplers out and give them a second shot. You might find a winner. I sure did. Smile

2 1,683
 02-19-2016, 06:14 AM
User Info
I agree with this.  But I've also had the opposite experience.  When I first got started, I found a number of blades that were decent enough for me and cheap -- Shark, Derby, Supermax.  But now that I regularly shave with 7 O'Clock Blues or GSBs or vintage Spoilers and TOMACs, going back to one of these lesser blades can be a shock.  Once I forgot that I'd left in a Supermax Super Platinum while I used an injector for a few days.  I thought I had put a Nacet in there as I toss the lesser blades aside after two shaves, and it was an unpleasant surprise to use the old blade after thinking I'd stuck in one of my reliable Russians.  I said, How can a Petersburg blade be this bad?  Then I opened the Slim and saw:  Ok.  It's a Supermax.

7 84
 02-19-2016, 03:00 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
LOL! Yep, this can happen, too. You can also go back and try something again, and find it still sucks for you. It happens. Can't bat a thousand. I'm pretty sure those Derbys you talked about still suck for me, LOL.

2 1,683