02-19-2016, 06:47 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I have an affinity for barbershop scents when it comes to soaps and aftershaves.  There are so many interpretations it's kind of fun seeing all the different takes on what is a truly classic scent.  I've tried a variety of aftershaves, and although I've liked them and will continue to use them, nothing truly hit home.  That is until my postman dropped off a wonderful little package.  In it was a bottle of Crown Shaving Co Aftershave Tonic.  I wasn't sure what to expect because with my first whiff a smelled quite a bit of anise.  After my shave tonight I applied a liberal amount and the anise died down very quickly leaving a scent that took me back to my childhood going to the barber with my father.  Even now I find myself smelling my hands in awe at how spot on this scent is with my old barbershop back home.  So, what's your barbershop scent?

44 618
 02-19-2016, 06:57 PM
User Info
Pinaud Clubman is quintessential barbershop to me. Also, Floid Vigoroso and Master Bay Rum.

40 1,166
 02-19-2016, 06:58 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The complimentary Bazzooka Bubblegum for holding still, mixed with talcum power and a inexpensive menthol rubbed onto my neck and ears. This was seared into my soul one afternoon when I looked over at the barber in his empty chair, Playboy in hand with centerfold pulled out. I sort of made a deep inhale that finally escaped outside as the shop owner walked me out after firing the poor man, looking up and down the street lest any town leaders were near.I received TWO
bubblegums that day and kept blowing these, ah big pink bubbles with a glazed look on my face.

2 3,171
 02-19-2016, 08:24 PM
User Info
I like clean, simple barbershop interpretations. Stirling is my preference, but I like MLS The Kraken as well as CRSW barbershop.
Strangely, neither B&M Seville and fine American blend worked for me - even though they are perennial favorites on the forums.

28 1,084
 02-19-2016, 09:07 PM
User Info
(02-19-2016, 06:47 PM)ddk13 Wrote: I have an affinity for barbershop scents when it comes to soaps and aftershaves.  There are so many interpretations it's kind of fun seeing all the different takes on what is a truly classic scent.  I've tried a variety of aftershaves, and although I've liked them and will continue to use them, nothing truly hit home.  That is until my postman dropped off a wonderful little package.  In it was a bottle of Crown Shaving Co Aftershave Tonic.  I wasn't sure what to expect because with my first whiff a smelled quite a bit of anise.  After my shave tonight I applied a liberal amount and the anise died down very quickly leaving a scent that took me back to my childhood going to the barber with my father.  Even now I find myself smelling my hands in awe at how spot on this scent is with my old barbershop back home.  So, what's your barbershop scent?
+!! I have the AS ...I’ve been wet shaving for 6 years but grew up in the 60's/70's and watched my dad employing the typical low-budget shave of the day, it was oddly intriguing...remember and appreciate many classic AS at the time, and IMO Crown Shaving Co Aftershave Tonic has certainly captured a reminscent but different spin on it, enjoy!

9 154
 02-19-2016, 10:22 PM
User Info
Best barber shop ever made IMHO is YSL Rive Gauche.

Second is MDCI Invasion Barbare

24 5,965
 02-19-2016, 10:28 PM
User Info
(02-19-2016, 08:24 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I like clean, simple barbershop interpretations. Stirling is my preference, but I like MLS The Kraken as well as CRSW barbershop.
Strangely, neither B&M Seville and fine American blend worked for me - even though they are perennial favorites on the forums.

I don't care for Fine either, even though most would disagree.  

I'd add Maggard's London Barbershop, very clean and barbershop-esque to my nose.

13 494
 02-20-2016, 05:07 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I like T&H Grafton but you can also count me in the B&M Seville and Fine American Blend camps. I also think British Sterling and original Old Spice but that might be more reminders of dad and grandpa.

7 450
 02-20-2016, 11:43 AM
User Info
By glancing at other responses there have been some quality soaps already been spoken of. One that I would like to add and just so happen placed an order for my replacement would be Chiseled Face - Ghost Town Barber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 96
 02-20-2016, 11:48 AM
  • Waffen
  • Santa Rosa, CA
User Info
(02-19-2016, 06:58 PM)kav Wrote: The complimentary Bazzooka Bubblegum for holding still, mixed with talcum power and a inexpensive menthol rubbed onto my neck and ears. This was seared into my soul one afternoon when I looked over at the barber in his empty chair, Playboy in hand with centerfold pulled out. I sort of made a deep inhale that finally escaped outside as the shop owner walked me out after firing the poor man, looking up and down the street lest any town leaders were near.I received TWO
bubblegums that day and kept blowing these, ah big pink bubbles with a glazed look on my face.

Ahhh very good kav took me back to the 50s in our small town barbershop, Hank&Pauls a lot like Mayberry

0 40
 02-20-2016, 03:30 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I believe it depends on where you are!

So maybe Acqua di Parma Colonia, Floris 89, Tabac, Rive Gauche, Alt Innsbruck ....

Cheers, Steve

7 526
 02-20-2016, 04:22 PM
User Info
Clubman all day! Never seen a barbershop have somebody leave smelling any other way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

0 7
 02-20-2016, 05:07 PM
User Info
(02-20-2016, 04:22 PM)snatale42 Wrote: Clubman all day! Never seen a barbershop have somebody leave smelling any other way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Theres always that lone bottle of Bay Rum that gets used every so often. I too am a Clubman fan. 

When it comes to getting up in the morning and throwing on a light scent, Fine American Blend is almost my constant go to. Love the stuff.

0 517
 02-21-2016, 03:27 AM
  • 55dougie
  • Doug Korn's Workshop - Artisan
  • NY USA
User Info
Pinaud Clubman Classic

24 612
 02-21-2016, 12:22 PM
User Info
I love Clubman! 
And to think I disliked the scent at first...

0 51
 02-22-2016, 06:22 AM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
My  now deceased barber used a mix of Osage rub and Witch Hazel.I'll use that mix in the summer time as an a/s and light hair tonic/refresher.

0 275
 02-22-2016, 10:07 AM
User Info
To me Bay Rum is the scent that I associate with the old time barber shop. The purest Bay Rum you can buy is "Superior 70". It is inexpensive and a top quality barber shop scent.

5 1,537
 02-22-2016, 10:52 AM
User Info
I think it might be Proraso aftershave (green) for me. It evokes memories of the barber shop in my hometown when I was a kid (late 50s-early 60s). So does Truefitt & Hill Grafton shaving cream.

3 997
 02-22-2016, 12:34 PM
User Info
(02-19-2016, 06:57 PM)shevek Wrote: Pinaud Clubman is quintessential barbershop to me. Also, Floid Vigoroso and Master Bay Rum.

If we're talking purely aftershaves, then it's Clubman Original.  No contest, nobody else even close.

As far as soaps, I've tried 3 or 4 that are considered barbershop.  Stirling is my favorite.

1 297
 02-24-2016, 05:20 PM
User Info
(02-19-2016, 10:22 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Best barber shop ever made IMHO is YSL Rive Gauche.

Second is MDCI Invasion Barbare

+1 x 2! ....just got a sample of MDCI Invasion Barbare....WOW!!

9 154